Brewer Fanatic

Prince at the Deadline

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member
You can also be the MVP if your stats aren't quite as good the other guy(s). Watching Prince play all year, I'd have to say that he's almost single-handedly won over 5 games. I doubt if Kemp or Reyes have had that impact.

It seems like a lot of Kemp's homers are late in the game--and the Dodgers are almost always in pitcher's duels, so I'd bet that he can rival Prince's clutchness. The problem is that the Dodgers aren't going anywhere except the poor house, so he's really have to separate himself from the pack in order to win the award.

Prince does lead the NL in WPA. Measures the value of a player similar to WAR, except it takes into account the importance of each situation (but doesn't include fielding). Essentially it's a useful descriptive stat (especially in the case of an MVP vote I imagine) but won't be as effective as a predictive stat for the future. Top 5 in the NL are Prince, Votto, Kemp, Braun, and Howard. Bautista leads the league.

• 3 months later...

In discussing Epstein to the Cubs & analyzing the Red Sox in recent history, I don't know that BOS can be ruled out as a destination for Fielder. I realize he likely wants to go somewhere where he'll play 1B for at least the first half of whatever deal he winds up signing, but David Ortiz's contract expires after this season. Boston is definitely in win-now mode, will have a new GM & ownership eager to return to the promised land, & they've been burned on their last two big FA pitching signings (Matsuzaka & Lackey).

I don't think Boston's one of the most likely destinations, but I certainly don't think they can be automatically ruled out as much as they were during discussions (not just at BF.net) this season. Also, this is one more place Prince winds up that isn't the Cubs. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

http://www.fannation.com/...rtiz-considering-yankees

This article talks about the possibility of Ortiz leaving Boston for NY. I would love that. Prince would be a natural replacement for Ortiz. And if NY has a spot for Ortiz, wouldn't they also have a spot for Prince? Just speculation of course, but if those quotes are true and not taken out of context, it doesn't really seem like Ortiz wants anything to do with Boston next season.

http://www.fannation.com/...rtiz-considering-yankees

This article talks about the possibility of Ortiz leaving Boston for NY. I would love that. Prince would be a natural replacement for Ortiz. And if NY has a spot for Ortiz, wouldn't they also have a spot for Prince? Just speculation of course, but if those quotes are true and not taken out of context, it doesn't really seem like Ortiz wants anything to do with Boston next season.

Or he wants to drive his price up by getting the Yankees involved.

The guy hit .309 with 29 home runs and 96 RBI. I'm not sure he'd risk alienating the Red Sox fans so he could try to get a few million more out of Boston, especially considering that other than New York or Boston, where else would he go? He can't go to the NL. And how many AL teams would give a soon to be 36 year old DH the kind of money he is asking for? Maybe Anaheim or Texas, but certainly not a lot of teams. Then you also throw in the fact that he may be a type A, so if Boston offers him arby, which they can probably afford to do, the signing team would have to forfeit their top pick to sign him. I don't know, I don't see a whole lot for him to gain by saying what he said.

Archived