Brewer Fanatic

Prince at the Deadline

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even the two recent seasons of mid-.800s OPS plus athleticism is an upgrade over McGehee. Not to mention the home parks they play in. To say Wright "hasn't been good for a while" just isn't objective. I know he hasn't hit well yet this season, but he's been clearly better than McGehee.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'd easily trade Prince and Betancourt for Reyes. Or Tulowitzki. Or any package that brought back more than we gave up for Greinke.

I don't think I would trade them for just Reyes since we'd basically be trading a rental for a rental, but Tulo, heck yeah. Isn't the guy signed till he's like 85?

For those looking at trading for Reyes and then extending him, wouldn't it make more sense just to hold onto Fielder through the year and then sign Reyes in the offseason? Fielder is putting up an MVP-caliber season, so I don't like the idea of trading him away unless we were either getting someone who is obviously better (? who's that ?) or someone who is very good and is already signed to a team-friendly deal (or is pre-arby). Tulo would fit in the latter category, but why would Colorado make that deal? If we could find a deal for the superstar pre-arby guy, then we should do it, but it's probably unlikely.

Unless they're out of it, I don't think there's any way the Brewers trade Fielder this season. Moves like that which backfire are what get GM's fired. Could you imagine what would happen if we traded Fielder, he continued to mash and we missed the playoffs?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Not advocating this trade but how about this?

Mets get:
Hart
Gennett
Luis Jimenez
Tyler Chatwood

Brewers get:
Beltran
Wright

Angels get:
Fielder

The Angels are the only team I could think of at the moment who would need a DH/1B option. Only other team I can think of would be the Rangers but I believe they are comfortable with who they have at 1B/DH. This would be a bad year if the Brewers were doing really bad to trade Fielder.

Provisional Member

Hello. Long time, first time.

This would be under the assumption that the Brewers are out of the race, but one team I haven't seen or heard much about with regards to Prince is Atlanta. The Braves always seem to be searching for a big bat. The last time I saw a rumor involving them, it was Prince-for-Beachy. Now, if it was in the middle of a playoff push, and they were maybe a little more desperate for a offense, I wonder if we could do a straight one-for-one swap for Julio Teheran. I realize this might be a stretch, but teams do funny things when they can sniff the postseason. Facing an uphill battle (a.k.a. Philadelphia Phillies) could make a hail mary for Prince more plausible. I, too, am emotionally invested in Prince. He has been otherworldly this season. But if you could get a A+ prospect who's stuff and and makeup compare well to Pedro Martinez, I think you'd have to pull the trigger. Again, this is only if Milwaukee falls out of the race. Prince should not be traded as long as we're within 5 games, and I can't imagine a scenario (short of injuries piling up) where we would fall out of the playoff picture.

Braves are way to high on the young Freeman to spend that much on Prince.

There is zero reason no matter who you get to trade Fielder. Fans would be pissed, players would be pissed, coaches would be pissed not to mention you are trading the emotional leader of the team and one of the most feared batters in baseball in the midst of a pennent race while the team (even consider the rough losses while playing hardest schedule in baseball) is rolling pretty good. Why destroy that? Why risk it. Take the picks. I care more about 2011 playoffs than anything. All season all we have heard is "WE ARE GOING FOR IT" then we toss away one of the best hitters in baseball in the middle of the season. I don't care who it is that we get, at all. We know what we will get with Prince. We know how the other guys follow him and love him. Why think Reyes or whoever will come here and stay extremely hot and carry the team or be a leader. Most trades don't workout and catch fire like the CC deal.

Just a awful idea unless we drop WAY out of contention. If it is not broken do fix it. It to is running great don't mess with it. Instantly after that trade the demands for Melvins job or head should be made. Worse move in baseball history. You don't trade one of your top players for another all-star while in contention, you trade prospects for all-stars. Who makes a trade to cancel itself out?

I would love for the Brewers to find a way to keep Prince. I love watching him play, and I think he really enjoys being here. If we really have NO chance of keeping him, I would consider trading him at the deadline simply because a team like Milwaukee really can't afford to lose such a tremendous asset and get absolutely nothing back in return. If we could possibly swing him to Texas, who clearly has the money to sign him long term, for something like Moreland and Young, I'd have a hard time passing that up. Plug Moreland in at first and stick Young at shortstop. I know he may not be a fantastic defensive SS at this point, but it's not like Yuni is a gold glover, and Young has a MUCH better bat.

At the beginning of the year, the consensus was that the Brewers were going all in for this year. That included keeping Prince for the season and seeing what happens. Unless the Crew are out of it by the deadline, they can't trade Prince and still be all in. Unless of course they replace the production of Prince through the trade, but considering the numbers that Prince is putting up, it's hard to replace that.

If the season ends today, Prince is MVP and it's not even really close. The Brewers could trade Prince for a package of the Baseball America #1, #2 and #3 prospects and the fans would probably still show up at Miller Park with burning pitchforks that night.

no, it's definitely close. As amazing as Prince has been, Matt Kemp has been better. He's on pace for a 40/40 season with a .329/.418/.625 line. If you want to use the "he plays on a losing team, so he can't be MVP" argument, that's fine. To each their own. But either way, "not even really close" isn't the right way to describe it. Reyes would definitely belong in the conversation as well.

Also, there is absolutely no reason at this point that there should be a discussion regarding trading Prince. It can't happen and it won't happen.

no, it's definitely close. As amazing as Prince has been, Matt Kemp has been better. He's on pace for a 40/40 season with a .329/.418/.625 line. If you want to use the "he plays on a losing team, so he can't be MVP" argument, that's fine. To each their own. But either way, "not even really close" isn't the right way to describe it. Reyes would definitely belong in the conversation as well.
I agree that Reyes and Kemp have put up similar stats (though I would argue not quite as good as Prince), but I guarantee you if the season ended today, Prince would take the MVP vote by a landslide for precisely the argument you mentioned. First place team vs. nearly last place teams. I wouldn't be surprised if Braun finished second.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Right or wrong, if 2 guys have similar stats and one is playing on a division winner, and the other guy is on a 4th place team, the MVP voting between them probably won't be close. Baseball writers are a different breed.

And trading Prince? Won't happen. Unless the Brewers go on a 20 game skid and just completely fall out of it, there's absolutely no way it happens.

This isn't my personal argument, but I think the voters use this argument. MVP is most VALUABLE player, not best player. If player A is the best player in the league but he is on a last place team, he isn't as valuable as player B, who is the best player on the first place team. That's why I like the silver slugger awards best, because they aren't voted on and they are just based on a compilation of offensive stats per position. But, I haven't really had to much problem with the MVP voting in the past. It always comes down to a couple players and you can make arguments for any of them. Gold Glove on the other hand, just needs to go away.

I agree that Reyes and Kemp have put up similar stats (though I would argue not quite as good as Prince), but I guarantee you if the season ended today, Prince would take the MVP vote by a landslide for precisely the argument you mentioned. First place team vs. nearly last place teams. I wouldn't be surprised if Braun finished second.
Kemp's stats are better than Prince's. Higher average, 10 points of OBP lower, but 10 points of SLG higher. Factor in 21 steals and his stats are just a little bit better than Prince's. Reyes is a different kind of player, but he's been excellent on both sides of the ball and has done so at a thin position like SS. One could defintely argue he has been more valuable than anyone in the NL. The Mets are also .500 and within 4 or 5 games of the wildcard, for what it's worth.

And since you mentioned it, for every "his team isn't good enough argument" there could very easily be a "he has Ryan Braun (and Weeks) on his team, how can he be that valuable with two all stars in front of him?"

Not knocking Prince here, or saying that it's wrong to vote for him. Just think that saying it's "not close" or would be a landslide is incorrect. He might win, but it would be close.

MVP is most VALUABLE player, not best player.
No, "Most Valuable Player" is just a fancy way of saying "best player." The "Most Valuable Player" award just sounds better than "Best Player" or "Most Outstanding Player" award. It tilts me every time the argument about who is the "most valuable" comes up every year, as if the best player in the league that year isn't the most valuable, anyway.

But we digress.

Well, I didn't say that was my view, I said I believed that some writers used that argument. I agree with you. It's the same way that the Heisman never goes to the best player. It goes to the guy with the hype and the team.

Well Passan in his mid-season awards gave the MVP to Reyes over Fielder and Kemp because Fielder plays a "laggard" position and Weeks/Braun have been nearly as important. He also cites poor defense and a poor team for not picking Kemp.

I think their is about a 5% chance that Reyes would win MVP if the season ended today. I would say it is 60% Fielder, 35% Kemp, and 5% Reyes at this point.

I don't think I could comprehend a realistic situation right now that would lead Melvin to trade Fielder. There is no way we won't be in the race and there is no realistic trade package that would be big enough.

Hello. Long time, first time.

This would be under the assumption that the Brewers are out of the race, but one team I haven't seen or heard much about with regards to Prince is Atlanta. The Braves always seem to be searching for a big bat. The last time I saw a rumor involving them, it was Prince-for-Beachy. Now, if it was in the middle of a playoff push, and they were maybe a little more desperate for a offense, I wonder if we could do a straight one-for-one swap for Julio Teheran. I realize this might be a stretch, but teams do funny things when they can sniff the postseason. Facing an uphill battle (a.k.a. Philadelphia Phillies) could make a hail mary for Prince more plausible. I, too, am emotionally invested in Prince. He has been otherworldly this season. But if you could get a A+ prospect who's stuff and and makeup compare well to Pedro Martinez, I think you'd have to pull the trigger. Again, this is only if Milwaukee falls out of the race. Prince should not be traded as long as we're within 5 games, and I can't imagine a scenario (short of injuries piling up) where we would fall out of the playoff picture.

Prince to the ATL makes sense EXCEPT for the Braves horrible ownership situation.....since Comcast took over ownership of the Braves in the mid-2000's the payroll has been cut from $105+ million to the current $82-or-so..... so this move will never happen even though the Braves have the pieces that Brewers would demand (Freeman, Delgado, and maybe an underrated SS prospect like Pastornicky who's close to major league ready) ....but the Braves are still hurting from that Texeira from Texas $+!++-slap (imagine the Braves if they still had Andrus, Feliz, Harrison & Saltalemacchia) & will be gun-shy to make that kind of bold move again

ATL really needs a commodity like Prince to put fannies in the seats

btw.... the CEO of Comcast has a salary + bonuses of $67 million a year....ugh

Archived