Brewer Fanatic

Prince at the Deadline

Let me start by saying I'm entertaining a thought and not making a serious suggestion.

So let us entertain the thought of who you would trade Prince for at the deadline. He's obviously mashing right now but to what extent will he remain at this level? He'll still be pretty awesome, but the way he's playing right now could make some team overpay for him.

So, what if you could trade Prince, get a haul of prospects and use some of them to get Jose Reyes, and a decent hitting/good defense 1B, and a CF? Or else just use Gamel at 1st and converse some of the prospects for the future. With Reyes you'd still have a Type A FA to get prospects back for at the end of the season. I'm gong on the assumption that Prince would cost more than Reyes, but I am probably overestimating how much more he would cost.

What would you trade Prince for?

Emotionally I'm enjoying watching him too much right now, but the team still has holes, and I imagine that DM will just slightly upgrade some of them. But would it be worth it if you could spread the talent from 1B out to SS and CF?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only way that I trade Prince at the deadline is if somehow the Brewers are more than 8 games out at that time. I don't see that happening.

The only way?

C'mon. Obviously if you could get 3 current All Stars you would do it. There are always scenarios where somebody overpays. But as great as Prince's bat is, it can't make up for bad defense around the the infield, and lack of production throughout the lineup. So there has to be a scenario where you could get something that would make up for his plus make a talent profit.

Obviously when the Red Sox traded Nomar in 2004 Red Sox fans did not like it and getting Orlando Cabrerra and Doug Mientkiewicz obviously seemed inadequate to most fans because fans were emotionally attached to Nomar. But the Red Sox won it all that year.

I too am emotinally invested in Prince, but I am wondering if anybody has an realistic scenarios where trading him could be beneficial to the team as a whole. It obviously won't happen, but it's interesting to consider.

The only way that I trade Prince at the deadline is if somehow the Brewers are more than 8 games out at that time. I don't see that happening.

The only way?

C'mon. Obviously if you could get 3 current All Stars you would do it. There are always scenarios where somebody overpays. But as great as Prince's bat is, it can't make up for bad defense around the the infield, and lack of production throughout the lineup. So there has to be a scenario where you could get something that would make up for his plus make a talent profit.

Obviously when the Red Sox traded Nomar in 2004 Red Sox fans did not like it and getting Orlando Cabrerra and Doug Mientkiewicz obviously seemed inadequate to most fans because fans were emotionally attached to Nomar. But the Red Sox won it all that year.

I too am emotinally invested in Prince, but I am wondering if anybody has an realistic scenarios where trading him could be beneficial to the team as a whole. It obviously won't happen, but it's interesting to consider.

I'd trade him for 3 all stars, but what team trading for a rental player (obviously in contention) would part with any meaningful pieces? As for Garciaparra, I have a feeling the Red Sox knew something. He was an impending free agent, and never had a big season after 30. He certainly wasn't carrying the team like Prince has been.

I'd easily trade Prince and Betancourt for Reyes. Or Tulowitzki. Or any package that brought back more than we gave up for Greinke.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'd easily trade Prince and Betancourt for Reyes. Or Tulowitzki. Or any package that brought back more than we gave up for Greinke.
I'd rather re-sign Prince for $25 million per than take on Tulo's contract. I have a strong suspicion that Colorado will be regretting that one in a few years.

Here's a thought that will never happen but is fun to consider...

I know Reyes is the likely target, but I for one would consider very strongly going after David Wright if I am Doug Melvin. Now I know it would be a hard pill to swallow dealing Prince, especially with Wright being hurt right now, but assuming Wright could come back healthy in July, he could be an impact bat to help replace Prince. He's signed through 2012, allowing for one more run next season even if Greinke/Marcum/Wright leave via FA after 2012. Additionally, he won't cost nearly as much as Prince allowing for the potential for us to acquire a stud offensive and Gold Glove caliber defender AND re-sign him.

Here's the side benefits:
*Extends the window by another year because we would receive an adequate bat to replace Prince in the lineup
*We still would receive 2 draft picks if Wright were to leave
*Greinke/Marcum may be more inclined to stay with a solid bat replacing Prince
*Allows for McGehee to become expendable (hopefully he goes on a tear soon) and can be dealt for another piece.
*He slots well into the #4 hole, allowing for the lineup to remain strong with a potential middle of the order going Weeks-Braun-Wright-Hart

If I am Melvin, I know I don't have the prospects to pull off this deal so I would see about getting a 3rd team involved. So how about a deal like this:

Brewers get: David Wright
Yankees get: Prince Fielder
Mets get: Jesus Montero, Manny Banuelos, Brett Gardner

Yankees get a FA to be in Fielder, but will break the bank anyways after the season to put him in a DH/1B split with Texeiria for the forseeable future. Imagine the Yanks new 3-4-5-6 with Texeira, Prince, A-Rod, Cano. WOW!

Mets get the Yankees' #1 & #4 prospects, as well as a replacement leadoff hitter for Reyes assuming he is dealt. Even if he stays, Reyes-Gardner would be amazing combo at #1-#2 in the lineup.

Brewers, while they may take a small step back in 2011, would still be a very good bet to make the playoffs this season and would have Wright for one more season in 2012, thereby extending the window another season.

Not sure I would do this if it were offered, but I would have to think long and hard. A 3-4 combo of Braun-Wright, while not Braun-Fielder, is not too shabby either.

Warning T. P. that's about the only scenario that I can maybe see working and that's only if Prince were to agree to an extension. Prince and Boras seem destined to test free agency so I don't think there's really any scenario where there would be a benefit for both teams. I can't see any teams giving up any sort of a "haul" of prospects or even one legit prospect for that matter for a half year rental. Prospects have become very valued by teams the last few years. Sure you might be able to get some mid-level guys but that's not enough in return for the/a key piece to the Brewers post-season aspirations.

So, yes I would trade him for the right offer; I just don't see that offer realistically being made. Last year was the year to deal him, however, right now I'm happy we didn't even though I would love to have Dan Hudson in our rotation for the future (if that was indeed offered).

Warning T. P. that's about the only scenario that I can maybe see working and that's only if Prince were to agree to an extension. Prince and Boras seem destined to test free agency so I don't think there's really any scenario where there would be a benefit for both teams.
If the Yankees were to trade for Fielder and offer him the 8year/$200MM extension he is expecting, I have to imagine Prince and Boras would listen, given that the rumors of the contract Prince will get are nowhere close to that. Having said that, no one saw Jayson Werth's deal either. I am not saying this is a trade that WILL happen, only that I can see the Brewers going after a David Wright type in the event they felt inclined to deal Prince this season. Maybe the 3rd team is the Angels and not the Yankees, but I can still see something like this being plausible even with the 2011 season Prince is having.

By the way, having Wright at 3B would be awesome for this team in my opinion.

I'd rather re-sign Prince for $25 million per than take on Tulo's contract. I have a strong suspicion that Colorado will be regretting that one in a few years.
I'd much rather have Tulo and Gamel for less than $25 million per.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I've thrown this out before and its similar to WTP's 3-way trade, but its Reyes coming back instead of Wright. (there maybe another piece or two thrown in here or there, also).

Gamel + Reyes > Fielder + YB

Especially when you consider defensively. Throw in a platoon at 3B with Green and our offense (as a whole) and defense (at 2 positions) make large upgrades.

However, it would be a large risk in doing that, since:

1) Prince is a big part (no pun intended) of the locker room. The team is gelling now in a way that Dr. Scholl's can't do. Its a big risk to shake that up.

2) Prince is a fan favorite and an MVP candidate. This might be a VERY bad PR move.

For those reasons, I really doubt there is a realistic trade (avoiding the Nintendo trades people make up) the Brewers would attempt with Prince.

David Wright makes the most sense for the Brewers. The Manny Ramirez trade would be the trade to look at for a reference. The Rangers and to lesser extent the Angels make some sense here. The Yankees need pitching more than they need offense so they are not a fit.

Keep Fielder

the strategy is "all in" and there's no reason to change it .....this team is going nowhere in the playoffs without Prince

who knows when the Brewers will have another chance like this year?

Keep Fielder

the strategy is "all in" and there's no reason to change it .....this team is going nowhere in the playoffs without Prince

who knows when the Brewers will have another chance like this year?

I think replacing McGehee and Fielder with Wright and Gamel wouldn't be too much of a falloff offensively and an upgrade defensively. However, the question is whether Wright can stay healthy and whether Gamel would be ready to take over 1st this year. Considering all that, I would have to think hard about pulling the trigger if it were offered.

edit: A third team would probably have to get involved since the Mets seem set with Ike Davis who should be coming back at 1st soon.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

For this season, Wright/Gamel < McGehee/Fielder. This isn't even considering Wright's injuries this season and the fact that I think he's a tad overrated.
Agreed. Much agreed. However, me personally, I don't like the idea of one year all in type seasons. With Braun/Weeks/Hart/Lucroy on O and Gallardo on the SP locked in long term, I would like to extend our window of opportunity to make the playoffs as long as possible. I think that if Wright were healthy, a Wright/Gamel or Wright/McGehee combo at the corners for the rest of 2011 would not guarantee we miss the playoffs and would make us very competitive at making the playoffs in 2012. Right now, I don't know what to feel about our chances in 2012 when Prince is gone and I would feel much better if we could replace his bat with a Wright-like bat.

if things somehow went horribly wrong and we were out of it at the Break, i think the Brewers are in good position to take the best player/s available regardless of their position. a pitcher could take Wolf's spot in the rotation and we could easily slide any infielder into the starting lineup.

For this season, Wright/Gamel < McGehee/Fielder. This isn't even considering Wright's injuries this season and the fact that I think he's a tad overrated.

I couldnt disagree more. Our defense would be so much improved at 1st and 3rd that while we'd lose something offensively, we'd still put two damn good bats into the lineup.

Of course I love Gamels stick and, and could see a nice .280/.370 line and we all know what Wright is capable of.

Weeks

Morgan

Braun

Wright

Hart

Gamel

Lucroy

Pick up a Scutaro type SS and we could actually be sound defensively, and have a more balanced lineup.

Truth be told, I love Prince, but I am looking forward to changing the identity of this team ever so slightly. Well rounded, and it wouldnt take much.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived