Brewer Fanatic

What do we do with Mark Rogers?

The latest comments from Ash make it sound like this was another lost season for Rogers.

I also asked Ash if there had been progress with pitching prospect

Mark Rogers since he had an injection for the carpal tunnel syndrome in

his pitching wrist.

"Initially, it has seemed to but we don't know how long-lasting it

will be," said Ash. "We knew it would not be permanent relief and he

knows it won't be permanent relief. His primary goal was to get through

this season and then have a procedure."

So, in other words, no matter how Rogers does the rest of the season,

he is facing a surgical remedy to the carpal tunnel syndrome. Ash said

there would be a recovery period of 6-8 weeks after the surgery.

With Rogers out of options after this year he either has to make the 25 man roster out of Spring Training next year or he's gone. I hope the Brewers just call it quits on the season and get him the surgery and possibly pitch him in the AFL. Then if he pitches well in Spring Training, start him in the bullpen perhaps as the long man or if he does well, let him pitch in the later innings. That is about the only path he has to be a Milwaukee Brewer because there aren't any spots that look open in the 5 man rotation barring injury. Looks like another 1st round pitching failure for Jack Z.

Hope he gets healthy? Or we get nothing out of him.

edit. I should add that if he needs surgery then it should have happened 6 weeks ago as he might have been ready for the AFL and could have worked hard over the winter... now the whole situation is just being drug out in typical Brewer fashion. Mess around with the diagnosis for month, try to avoid surgery for a month or two, then finally have the surgery that was inevitable. Since they messed around he'll come into ST not quite ready and the team won't have a place to stash him.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

TheCrew, have you ever had surgery? I never have, but I know there are inherent risks with any surgery and it's way too easy to second guess people for not having surgery. My dad has needed minor back surgery for years and he's finally going to go under the knife in August for a 15 minute procedure that should make his life better. Why? Cause it's SURGERY!

As for Rogers getting claimed, at least 7 or 8 teams would take a chance on getting the kid we saw last September.

Yes I've had surgery on both knees, and I need shoulder surgery that I've been putting off because I really don't want my arm in a sling for a month when I have major networking projects that I need both hands for going on at work, but thanks for asking. I don't like being knocked out at all, in fact I hate it, but at least one second they are counting down and the next you're in the recovery room. It's just unnerving losing all that time in a finger snap I guess.

Furthermore I pretty much spend my entire life around recovering athletes, we always seem to have someone coming off a knee or shoulder problem the last 10 years, the shoulder problems are all kids that wrestle which has me wondering if it has something to do with the way they are training. The wrestling team won a team title last year, and this year 3 kids won individual titles, so it's hard to question what's going on given the level of success they are having.

It's not about the risks inherent in surgery, it's about the shorest recovery window possible. I'm not a person who believes in the chiropractor... either there is something that needs to be fixed, an injury, or it's just an owie and we move on with life. If we think a kid might need surgery we don't mess around hoping it gets better, we wait for the swelling to go down and get an MRI. If we still don't know we get a 2nd or 3rd opinion, and sometimes (twice recently) a young man had to have exploratory surgery to figure out exactly what was going on. A meniscus (cartiledge) tear complicates a knee injury because the tears don't show up well on MRIs and loose flaps can actually lock up the knee. At our level every single day you waste on the front end also costs the athlete on the back end, because he/she is missing out the opportunity to play another sport. I realize that we're blessed with care that far exceeds what other high schools in the area are getting because our trainer is that good, he could easily be working his way up the ladder to a job with a professional franchise. He's set the bar for me, and like I said previously, you don't see the other high profile successful programs in the state, both professional and college, messing around with injury diagnosis and treatment the way the Brewers do. It's not just a Brewer thing, it's a baseball thing, baseball teams seem obsessed with doing things the way they've always been done, generally speaking there's a lack of interest in investing towards the building of athletes, it's mostly an environment of survival of the fittest. Which is very backwards if you think about it, because the pittance spent on the front end to provide proper nutrition and strength/conditioning programs can save millions in FA on the backend.

My point was/is, if you know surgery inevitable, then the question becomes how to get the athlete back participating the quickest, because most of our kids are multisport athletes. In this case, Mark isn't close to effective pitching with the injury, he can't locate, his FB velocity has disappeared, he's in constant pain, and surgery is inevitable. A Cortisone shot may temporarily fix the swelling and pain but to what end? Is 50 IP of horrendous results really worth the effort? I don't believe it is, and while I feel very bad for Mark having to go under the knife again, the situation won't resolve itself by doing nothing. Get the surgery done, get healthy, and prove everyone who's doubted you along the way wrong.

The issue started sometime March, it's now mid June, and this is a professional organization who's product depends entirely on the health of it's athletes. What's a reasonable time frame to get from diagnosis, to treatment, to recovery? Days? Weeks? Months? In my opinion he should already be on the recovery phase of the cycle, they've had plenty of time. Again, this isn't the first situation and these occurences are not rare... Gallardo went back in the game with a blown ACL then came back to pitch on it in the same season, Green and Periard having to wait through the winter for treatment, Braddock's misdiagnosis for years, Weeks playing injured with nothing to gain, Cain and Dennis coming back too soon to get reinjured, Mike Jones going from one arm problem to the next (which isn't natural), Bryson basically being refused treatment and needing surgery immediately following the Sabathia trade, Rogers needing multiple shoulder surgeries, Schafer going from one injury to the next in the same season, need I go on?

Compensation injuries are completely avoidable through proper rehabilitation techniques, and the players that get 1 leg injury, then have another, and then another... it's not that they are injury prone, it's that they aren't being properly rehabilitated before returning from injury so they end up going from injury to injury until the season is over or they get shut down, putting up subpar stat lines along the way. In this case, the best treatment and rehabilitation plan is to treat the symptom and hope for the best? That's laughable... the Brewers need to be better at this stuff than other organizations because they have a much smaller window for error, and to put it simply, they aren't.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

He's probably a bust. Hopefully he'll have surgery soon and start recovering. I really doubt he makes the team out of Spring Training '12, though. It's not like he was setting the world on fire earlier this season before these latest injury issues came up.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I completely agree with you on this, TheCrew07 (That's rare!). If they gave him a shot to have him make it through the season and get surgery then, why in the world would you just not get surgery right away? It's better for the organization and it's better for Mark. This is crazy to me.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Thismight explain it a bit:

Ash also said pitching prospect Mark Rogers is headed for

surgery at some point to relieve the carpal tunnel syndrome in his

pitching wrist. First, Rogers and the Brewers want to see if an

injection will allow him to pitch again this season.

"We knew it

would not be permanent relief and he knows it won't be permanent

relief," said Ash. "His primary goal was to get through this season and

then have a procedure."

Ash said there would be a recovery period of six to eight weeks after the surgery.

So it sounds like they are trying to get him some more pitching in this year, then let him heal in the off season. As long as he doesn't make it worse, I guess that makes sense.

I don't think it makes sense at all. He is obviously being affected very negatively by the injury and he's rapidly running out of time. If he had the surgery a few weeks ago, he could have been back by august and pitched a few innings in BC then head off to the AFL with his eyes towards Milwaukee's bullpen in 2012. What does he accomplish by pitching hurt right now and posting terrible numbers?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived