Brewer Fanatic

Jeter 3000 hit milestone

Dnye23

As of today, June 13th, Jeter is 7 hits away from 3000 hits. Pressure is on him to do it in front of the home crowd, as their current home stand ends on Thursday with the Rangers. Then they hit the road for interleague play against the Cubs and Reds. Then they're back home to host the Rockies and Brewers to finish the month.

Any predictions? He has been hitting decently as of late but he has to feel some kind of extra pressure right now. I really want to call it for that first game against the Crew, but I'm gonna say the first game against the Rockies.

Austin 5:29

Life never slows down, so always make it exciting #moveit

I am curious how does Jeter rank in the 3,000 hit club in terms of the number at bats needed to get to 3,000? I searched for something showing this but no luck.

I am hoping this doesn't happen until the brewers series but most likely it will happen against the Cubs at Wrigley.

I'm trying to remember if any other player approaching 3,000 hits got even close to this much coverage. The other day there was a link on ESPN's home page (not baseball page) called like "Jeter's 3,000 Watch" or something.

Apparently Jeter suffered a calf muscle injury last night. Might prolong the pursuit.

As much as I hate the Yankees and all the coverage they get, I don't mind Jeter that much. He seems to really enjoy playing and demonstrates a respect for the sport. I don't begrudge him the fanfare he'll get once he hits 3,000.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm trying to remember if any other player approaching 3,000 hits got even close to this much coverage. The other day there was a link on ESPN's home page (not baseball page) called like "Jeter's 3,000 Watch" or something.
If I remember correctly, even Yount got pretty big nationwide coverage with the "Yount count" in the sports pages, etc.. Obviously, back then the Internet wasn't around to magnify things though.

For all the bashing Jeter has been hit with regarding his defense in recent years -- and I've certainly participated -- he really has had one of the best careers ever by a shortstop. In terms of defense, I don't know that I've seen a shortstop with a better combination of hands, arm strength, & arm accuracy (not saying others weren't as good, just that no one I can recall was appreciably better). He comes off as a bit of a prick, but I certainly will tip my cap to him when he reaches 3,000. From 1998 to 2007, the only better shortstop in baseball was A-Rod, even though for the last four years of that span he was playing next to Jeter at third base.

Those are two amazing careers to sit back & read through.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I am curious how does Jeter rank in the 3,000 hit club in terms of the number at bats needed to get to 3,000? I searched for something showing this but no luck.

Name

Hits

AB

Rose, Pete

Cobb, Ty

Aaron, Hank

Musial, Stan

Speaker, Tris

Yastrzemski, Carl

Anson, Cap

Wagner, Honus

Molitor, Paul

Collins, Eddie

Mays, Willie

Murray, Eddie

Lajoie, Nap

Ripken, Jr., Cal

Brett, George

Waner, Paul

Yount, Robin

Gwynn, Tony

Winfield, Dave

Biggio, Craig

Henderson, Rickey

Carew, Rod

Brock, Lou

Palmeiro, Rafael

Boggs, Wade

Kaline, Al

Clemente, Roberto

Jeter, Derek

Edit: I realize this list shows total hits and AB's and not how many AB's it took to get to exactly 3000 but figured it gave a good approximation

I think he was more looking for how many AB's it took to reach 3000, not necessarily their career at bats. That is somewhat helpful though. Not the fastest but probably somewhere in the middle for Jeter. Better than I expected actually.

Yeah I realized that after I posted. I think Jeter is probably somewhere in the middle. What is incredible is how quick some of the old-timey guys got above 3,000 hits but then again no one really walked back then.

Yeah I realized that after I posted. I think Jeter is probably somewhere in the middle. What is incredible is how quick some of the old-timey guys got above 3,000 hits but then again no one really walked back then.
Yeah Jeter will rank 13 out of 28 in terms of batting average amongst those who got to 3,000 with Molitor 14, Aaron 15, and Yount 23. However I'm sure that other hitters saw their batting average decline after getting to 3k. But I guess what it says is that Jeter has done a pretty good job. Looks like Tony Gwynn is the best hitter of any recent era at least in terms of average. Still interested in the # of ABs to 3,000 if anyone sees it.

Verified Member
It's not so much the walks, since those don't count as ABs anyway, it's more the lack of specialized pitching and scouting reports. I guess the old-timey guys got there quicker in terms of games played and PAs.

Part of it could have been the fields they were playing on too back in the day. This certainly hurt their power numbers, but the outfields were pretty big back then. A lot of stuff might have fallen between guys because they had so much ground to cover.

For all the bashing Jeter has been hit with regarding his defense in recent years -- and I've certainly participated -- he really has had one of the best careers ever by a shortstop. In terms of defense, I don't know that I've seen a shortstop with a better combination of hands, arm strength, & arm accuracy (not saying others weren't as good, just that no one I can recall was appreciably better). He comes off as a bit of a prick, but I certainly will tip my cap to him when he reaches 3,000. From 1998 to 2007, the only better shortstop in baseball was A-Rod, even though for the last four years of that span he was playing next to Jeter at third base.

Those are two amazing careers to sit back & read through.

Yea, i'm no fan of the Yankees because of how they can pretty much buy a seat into the playoffs most years, but i have nothing but respect for Jeter. The guy has had a great career, doesn't come off as a jag to me, never gets in trouble off the field, and by all accounts has been a leader on many of those great Yankees teams. I can't hold it against him that writers have given Jeter Gold Gloves he didn't deserve, and he hasn't been the only undeserving Gold Glove winner either. It's a common occurrence.

Archived