Brewer Fanatic

2011-06-13 Brewers (Wolf) at Cubs (Dempster) - [Brewers lose, 1-0]

Kotsay starting - 0 for 4, 3 K's.

Nieves still on the team - 0 for 2, GIDP, the usual.

Squeeze with the pitcher on a 3-1 count - Fail

Overworked Loe again in the 8th - Fail

There was no reason for us to lose this game. It took a valiant effort including a horrid lineup, mismanaging and overthinking to get it done. I am so sick of Roenicke.

Its not his fault Nieves is on the roster.

Loe pitched well, not his fault Braun cant catch a fly ball.

You are kidding yourself if you don't think Nieves is still on the roster because of Roenicke.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its not his fault Nieves is on the roster.

Loe pitched well, not his fault Braun cant catch a fly ball.

Yes it is his fault. He wants a "defense first catcher"

The ball was crushed. Only the wind blowing in kept that in the park. He should not face left handers

Still not his fault.

I don't understand what you are saying. So because Melvin isn't micro-managing RR's bench and overriding him, its not RR's fault that Nieves is still here? Is it Mark A's fault then, since he could override them both?

Um guys.....What the heck is going on here? I thought the Brewers were the "hottest team in the NL?" The Iowa Cubs literally gives you a gimme win tonight and you're boys wants to take the night off. Come on now. I want "The Big Fatty" Jim Hendry fired (if not by cannon, at least out of Chicago) and Ricketts can't do that if the Cubs show a glimmer of hope. So come on guys, outside of doing that stupid "Miller Field South" crap (yes calling another team's homefield your team's field name is stupid and juvenile, and I am an embarrassed that Cubs fans do it with Miller Field) take the next three games, please.

I want Hendry and Quade fired, and I need your team help to make it happen, dangit.

Yes it is his fault. He wants a "defense first catcher"

The ball was crushed. Only the wind blowing in kept that in the park. He should not face left handers

Still not his fault.

I don't understand what you are saying. So because Melvin isn't micro-managing RR's bench and overriding him, its not RR's fault that Nieves is still here? Is it Mark A's fault then, since he could override them both?

Melvin is the GM of the Brewers. If Melvin wanted Nieves gone he would be, its not RR's decision at all. Melvin is in charge of the roster, not RR.

I just wanted to drop by and say that I hate losing to the cubs more than anyone else in baseball.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'm sorry, I'm blaming Roenicke for keeping Nieves on the roster and Melvin for signing Nieves in the first place.

Its not RR's decision to keep Nieves on the roster. He has no control over it. He can suggest things, but it doesn't mean its his decision. It's Melvin

Randy Wolf stats this year with....

Wil Nieves - 51.1 innings caught - 2.45 ERA

Jon Lucroy - 17.0 innings caught - 4.24 ERA

G. Kottaras - 16.0 innings caught - 4.50 ERA

I understand these are very small sample sizes, but WHAT IF like Dumbo and his magic feather Wil Nieves catching Randy Wolf somehow gives Wolf the ability to pitch a ballgame in which he gives up 2 less earned runs per 9 innings pitched? Does it then justify Nieves being on the roster and catching every 5th game? Every 5th game, where Lucroy would need an off day every 5 games anyway and our next best option is George Kottaras? Every 5th game which amounts to about 2% of the PAs in a week?

I'm not saying that I don't hate Nieves as a hitter, but what about the rest of this lineup? To not score a run against Dempster who has been one of the most hittable pitchers in the league this year should fall largely on the shoulders of Nieves?

Still not his fault.

Melvin is the GM of the Brewers. If Melvin wanted Nieves gone he would be, its not RR's decision at all. Melvin is in charge of the roster, not RR.

This is just not true. Managers very commonly have control over the personnel on their bench. Yes, on paper, Melvin managers the roster, but there is no way that Nieves is on this roster if Roenicke doesn't want him.

I'd go as far as to say that it wouldn't surprise me if Roenicke hasn't had to plead on Nieves' behalf by now to keep him around.

Invader3K wrote:
Disappointing game considering Wolf pitched well enough for a win.
He has a personal catcher that provides no offense. And even if it was a bad decision, Wolf let Yuni out to dry on the squeeze. I'm not feeling that bad that he didn't pick up the W. I am feeling bad that RRR gave away a W to the Cubs.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Um guys.....What the heck is going on here? I thought the Brewers were the "hottest team in the NL?" The Iowa Cubs literally gives you a gimme win tonight and you're boys wants to take the night off.
Unfortunately this is what happens in Brewers-Cubs games. No matter how hot one team is and how awful the other one is playing, the games are up for grabs. Unfortunately the Brewers appear to have a tendency to play to their competition and play better against the +.500 teams and play down to the -.500 teams (except the Pirates).

Ok, lets all calm down a bit.....I waited until today to write this so I could take a minute. It was a bad loss, a game we should have had. At first I was mad at the squeeze play, and maybe I'm still a bit confused. After looking at it more, you have a pitcher up who should be a very solid bunter and the count was 3-1 (to a pitcher mind you) so you know a fastball is coming down the middle. He just blew it. I guess with Rickie coming up next I'm still a bit upset, but again the scenario was perfect to be able to get down a bunt.

As for Loe facing a lefty, I don't like it either but we should really blame Braun on that play. I know the wind was nasty but he could have easily caught that ball out there (he didn't play the lefty slice). That run could have been avoided by better D there.

As for the lineup, what are you going to do. You can complain about Kotsay but he had a great game the day before. And Casey needs to be moved down but I think that RRR is just holding out as long as he can.

Archived