Brewer Fanatic

Your 2011 Helena/AZL Brewers

BA's Daily Dish, by Matt Eddy:
Brewers shortstop Yadiel Rivera went 5-for-5 and hit for the cycle yesterday (while doubling up on doubles) for Rookie-level Helena. In the process he extended his hitting streak to 16 games. A ninth-round pick from Puerto Rico last year, Rivera hit just .194/.224/.262 in 103 at-bats for low Class A Wisconsin this season before settling in the Pioneer League. He's batting .331/.372/.587 through 121 at-bats, and he leads the PL in runs scored (26), ranks third in extra-base hits (16) and second in hits (40), RBIs (23) . . . and strikeouts (37).

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a big week for the Brewers' Farm on the BA Hot Sheet, Yadiel Rivera checks in at number 13 and Nick Ramirez makes the Team Photo.

The Scoop: Let the waters of the Pioneer League wash over you. Feel the frustration of past hitting transgressions drift away. Rivera, a ninth-round pick in 2010 out of a Puerto Rico high school, evidenced little hitting ability in the low Class A Midwest League this season (.486 OPS) or in the Rookie-level Arizona League last summer (.500 OPS). Demoted to Helena in June, Rivera has enjoyed a turnaround with the bat, going 43-for-131 (.328) and leading the PL in hits and total bases (75). Most of that is the Pioneer League effect—no minor league is more friendly for hitters—but Rivera did recently reel off seven straight multi-hit games, and on Monday he went 5-for-5 and hit for the cycle (two doubles) in a game against Casper. Throw in strong defensive actions at shortstop and you have a prospect who bears watching—just be warned that Rivera also leads the PL with 40 strikeouts.
Brewers 1B Nick Ramirez may be in the Rookie-level Pioneer League, but his numbers would stand out anywhere. A fourth-round selection out of Cal State Fullerton, Ramirez capped off a sensational college career with a .291/.391/.507 spring with 16 saves as the Titans' closer. That performance earned him second-team honors on BA's all-America team. Ramirez signed quickly and has put on a power show with Helena, knocking eight home runs in first 20 games. This past week, Ramirez went 17-for-30 (.567) with three doubles and six home runs. A 9-to-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio could lead to trouble ahead.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

FGCU alum Barnes adjusting just fine to pro ball, Big Sky country

By Andrew Sodergren, Naples Daily News

Jacob Barnes has adjusted to life in professional baseball just fine.

As for living in Montana, that’s taken some getting used to for the St. Petersburg native.

Barnes, drafted out of Florida Gulf Coast University by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 14th round of this year’s draft, is pitching for the Helena Brewers in the remote rookie-level Pioneer League.

“I’m playing my home games in Montana and road games in Wyoming, Idaho and Utah,” Barnes said. “I never really expected to end up at any of these places, but here I am. It’s a lot different than Florida. There’s not a whole lot to do and things are much quieter, which is fine because I can just focus on playing baseball.”

So far, Barnes is playing baseball at a high level. In his first 10 relief appearances, Barnes has gone 2-0 with a 1.53 earned run average. In 17 2/3 innings, he’s allowed 13 hits with five walks and 22 strikeouts. Using a fastball that touches the mid-90s to go along with a solid slider and change-up, Barnes has found immediate success in the pros.

“Here, you just have to realize that you can’t leave things up in the zone,” Barnes said. “In college, you can get by throwing your fastball by guys. In the pros, you’ve got to locate much better and keep the ball down.”

Barnes was confident he could compete in the pros at a high level. That’s why he signed a professional contract instead of returning to FGCU for his senior season.

“I thought at this point in my career, I was ready to take the next step,” Barnes said. “I felt I had the ability to compete at this level and I’m happy I’ve gotten a chance to prove myself. It’s all working out pretty well so far.”

Barnes is proud to be one of the latest FGCU players to make an impact in the pros. Former FGCU pitchers Chris Sale and Casey Coleman have both made it to the major leagues, while there are a growing crop of former Eagles toiling for various organizations.

“It shows that smaller schools like FGCU can produce prospects,” he said. “FGCU is pretty young as an athletic program and has already produced two major-league players. If you can do well there, you can do well anywhere.”

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Former Pony ace off to a "Strong" start at Helena

by Pat McCann, Contributing Writer

St Croix (MN) Valley Press

STILLWATER — Mike Strong has been drafted by three different major league teams, twice pitched for ball clubs located in the city of Stillwater and for the first time is being paid to play baseball.

Numbers are playing a big role in his adult life.

The former Stillwater Ponies left-handed pitcher recently made his debut for the Helena Brewers in the Rookie Pioneer League. Early indications are that the numbers are looking good.

Strong, who won’t turn 23 until November, pitched for Iowa Western Community College and Oklahoma State following high school, the latter located in Stillwater, Okla. Thus far he’s 2-0 in Helena since being selected in the 10th round by the Milwaukee Brewers in June’s draft.

“I mean this always has been my dream, but now that’s it’s finally coming true it’s unreal,” Strong said of professional baseball. “It’s a job, but then you can’t really say that. I’ve truly been blessed.”

Strong has yielded 15 hits in 26.1 innings with 14 walks, 19 strikeouts and a 3.76 ERA. Five earned runs came in one outing in relief, however. Strong’s last two appearances have been starts, and he allowed only one hit in seven innings July 18 against Casper.

“I’m really pleased with it,” the 6-foot, 175-pounder said. “I started four times and all my starts are really good. One time I relieved it was a struggle. I couldn’t locate.

“Honestly, Oklahoma State is in the Big 12 so the baseball is pretty good, but the biggest change is pitching to wood bats now. I can attack the strike zone and not get hurt that often, pitch in and out. They’ve got to hit it solid to get an extra-base hit.”

Strong was drafted in the 25th round by the White Sox in 2009 and the 22nd round by the Athletics in 2010. He said the added maturity from staying in school was beneficial, as has been the thinner air in Montana because of the elevation. The ball travels farther, Strong said, but that’s a good focal point for keeping his pitches down in the strike zone.

Strong’s repertoire includes the standard fastball, change-up and curveball. Rather than tinker with a new offering, he said he’s more concerned at this stage with fine-tuning his arsenal.

The mental approach to the game becomes foremost, Strong said, even in the low minors.

“I feel comfortable with my three pitches,” he said. “You want to go out there and basically give your team a chance to win. It’s definitely a mental game as much as physical.

“The crowd and everything goes into it. As a pitcher the game is on you; when you release the ball the game starts up again. If you give up a couple hits and a run you have to have the mental toughness to slow it back down and get comfortable again.”

Otherwise, Strong is dealing with similar issues of men his age, namely looking for a vehicle. He said he hasn’t owned a car since he was in high school.

Minor league baseball is dominated by buses anyway, and wiling away the time when you’re not competing.

“You’re on a bus all the time,” Strong said. “We had a road trip to Idaho Falls and that was four hours. Then to Casper and that was seven hours, and back to Helena was eight hours.

“You basically start off with a movie, but I brought along pillows so I could sleep.”

Once again, Strong isn’t forgetting that his job is coveted by aspiring younger players across the country.

“We’re only getting paid X amount of dollars and the living conditions aren’t the best,” he said. “But this is something I’ve been doing since I was four years old. It’s not like you’re sitting behind a desk.”

AMBER KUEHN/Independent Record

Watching Yadiel Rivera, it’s easy to forget the Helena Brewers shortstop is just 19 years old.

Looking at his offensive stats, it’s hard to believe the knock on the 2010 ninth-round draft pick was once his bat.

Rivera, a Caguas, Puerto Rico, native, leads the Brewers with a .306 batting average. He’s one of just two players in the Pioneer League to hit for the cycle this season, and was the first to hit a grand slam. Though the youngster may appear comfortable at the plate, this wasn’t always the case. Rivera was drafted for his glove.

Coming into this season, Baseball America rated Rivera as the best defensive infielder in Milwaukee’s farm system, and the 21st-best prospect in the organization. He possesses all the tools of a fine shortstop — great range, sharp instincts and quick hands — and through 40 games in Helena has a fielding percentage of 95 percent. Rivera has dazzled on defense — he had 53 put-outs, 153 assists and 27 double plays to just 11 errors through Tuesday — to make him arguably the top prospect in the Pioneer League and undoubtedly one of the top shortstops.

“Definitely,” Helena manager Joe Ayrault said. “Easily from the guys I’ve seen. They have a couple guys in Casper I like, (Trevor) Story and (Rosell) Herrera, but I’d take Yadi over anybody.

“He’s one of the best prospects in the league by far. A lot of coaches and scouts have talked about him. He’s definitely a big league guy.”

That is the ultimate goal for the teen who started playing baseball at age 5, learning the sport from his dad.

“I just have to keep working hard and be at another level next year,” said Rivera, who also played basketball and volleyball in high school. “My attention was on defense last year, but this time, I’m trying to be 50/50 on defense and hitting.”

Offense was an area where Milwaukee had some concerns originally. Consistency was hard to come by for Rivera, and plate discipline was problematic. Even today, Rivera leads the league with 55 strikeouts. That comes with age, said Helena hitting coach Ned Yost IV, adding that he’d rather have guys be aggressive at the plate than too passive.

“(Age is) a huge part of it; he’s 19, he should still be I guess a freshman in college and it’s crazy to think he’s here in his second year of pro ball facing guys that have been through college for three or four years,” Yost said. “As time goes on, he will continue to get better. And it’s not so much getting better, but getting more consistent in the way he goes about his business, his daily routine.”

Rivera has made several adjustments at the plate, like getting ready on time, centering his body and staying through the ball a bit longer. It has helped him improve upon the .209 average he owned in the Arizona League last season, when he struck out 72 times in 49 games. Prior to coming to Helena in late June, Rivera batted just .194 with the Single-A Wisconsin Timber Rattlers.

“The biggest thing for him is just getting at-bats,” Ayrault said.

Rivera has had plenty of those. The 6-foot-3, 181-pound infielder leads the league in at-bats with 186, is tied for the lead in games played (41) and has more hits (57) than any other player.

“He’s the youngest, but he plays with a lot of energy,” Ayrault said. “I love sending him out there every day, he’s been durable. He’s a stellar defensive player, makes the routine plays and the hard plays as well. He’s had a couple errors this season but they’re some tough errors because he gets to many balls other shortstops don’t get to.”

Ayrault said infield coordinator Bob Miscik has worked with Rivera, as well as the other infielders, on being aggressive. It shows.

“He goes after everything,” the skipper said. “He goes over to second base, and his turns and feeds on double plays are excellent. It’s surprising that he’s our youngest player on the team.”

With his good speed, improved bat and defensive skills, the sky seems to be the limit for the up-and-coming Rivera, who has recently drawn comparisons to Kansas City Royals shortstop Alcides Escobar — in both stature and athletic ability.

“He’s got a wiry frame and some strong hands, and he really packs a punch to the ball when he squares it up,” Yost said. “Definitely, defensively he’s got some flashes of Alcides, which is some big shoes to fill because Alcides Escobar is an outstanding defenseman. He’s got a little A-Rod in him, he’s kind of got that batting stance and that swagger like Alex Rodriguez.”

While waiting to take his turn in the batting cage Wednesday, Rivera sang a song in Spanish and cracked the occasional joke to his teammates. Then he stepped in the cage and did his thing, silencing anyone who doubts his hitting abilities with each crack of the bat.

“He’s a nut,” Yost said. “He’s full of energy, fun to be around, he’s a clown, he gets along with everybody. He’s just a great guy.”

DISHON DELIVERS

Brewers outfielder John Dishon, in his second season with Helena, didn’t start the year the way he had hoped.

The 42nd-round pick in 2010 was hitting a paltry .152 through the Brewers’ first 16 games, striking out 19 times in his first 32 at-bats.

Dishon found his stride, closing out the first half as Helena’s hottest hitter. The Beaumont, Texas, native has recorded seven multi-hit games, including back-to-back three hit contests July 29 and 30 in Billings. That upped his first-half average to .315.

In July, the LSU product hit .368.

Through Wednesday, the 5-11, 193-pound Dishon was leading the team in on-base percentage (.387), OPS (891) and stolen bases (11). He’s been particularly strong on the road, owning a .345 average in 16 games away from Kindrick Legion Field.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/helenair.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/0d/20dce090-bf0e-11e0-89cd-001cc4c03286/4e3b5b364f333.image.jpg
(Dylan Brown Independent Record)

By Dominic Shelden/KFBB

Beards in the NBA-playoff stubble in the NHL--facial hair, its just part of sports, but beards are not allowed in the Milwaukee Brewers organization, the only sort of facial hair they can sport is a mustache, and in honor of that look, once a year the Helena squad grows out their best mustaches for the promotional event Mustache Monday.?

“I started off with a little baby mustache and now you know it’s blossoming,” says outfielder Max Walla.

“You gotta have confidence in the mustache, and confidence in the power of the stache, and it’ll pay off for you,” says catcher Parker Berberet.

“I mean it’s like a weight lifter-you gotta work out, and you gotta eat the right foods and it’s the same with mustaches," says hitting coach Ned Yost.

The event allowed anyone with a mustache, real or fake to get into the game for a discounted rate, but the players favorite part of mustache Monday is the competition amongst the team to see who has the best whiskers.

“Ned keeps his up, and Parker’s is just growing all over his lips, so I mean every food he eats, he tastes his mustache,” says outfielder Kenny Allison.

“Parker has the best mustache, Ned might be a little angry that I say that," says Walla.

“All I know is Parker doesn’t have his face on a t-shirt-I do. If he wants to have best mustache on the team, that’s fine, because I have the best mustache in the league," says Yost.

While the facial hair may be short lived for many, the team says as soon as the mustache is in full effect, there’s an undeniable transformation that happens not only on the outside, but in personality as well.?

"Kinda have to have a whole different swagger about you. You go play away games, they are all over you for a bad mustache or whatever, you just gotta play through it," says Berberet

“I feel a lot smarter, I read more, which is weird, I can play the flute all of a sudden…it’s weird how that happens," says Yost.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

“I feel a lot smarter, I read more, which is weird, I can play the flute all of a sudden…it’s weird how that happens," says Yost.

Awesome! New signature line. I always thought it was my intelligence and good looks, but now I find out its my 'stache! (Proud 'stache owner since I was 16)

That is great. I've got a handlebar going for the last month or so. At the moment I'm the only one who loves it but I'm trying to bring back mustache wax. I've loaded my stock portfolio with it so I'm feeling pretty strong about retirement. Ned Yost the 12th is hilarious. Great line.
Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Helena's Ben McMahan is kind of an interesting guy. Hits line drives, but hits them hard. A converted catcher playing OF for the first time. Needs to walk more, but will only be 22 going into Wisconsin next year.
Do they plan on moving him full time to OF, or is he playing there because of a lack of bodies and a surplus of catchers? Obviously they need extra catchers in rookie ball with the extra work they give the pitchers on the side. IIRC, McMahan was 2nd string behind perhaps the best catcher in the NCAA and thus was a little under the radar. Unless he is a significant defensive liability, I'd like for them to keep him at C.
In a recent pre-game interview (sorry, not archived), McMahan indicated that he is making the transition to the outfield. Helena broadcaster Steve Wendt could see why, it's a matter of getting Ben's cleanup-worthy RH-bat in the lineup every day.

Pioneer League press release:

Pioneer League 2011 All Star Team

Catcher

William Swanner, Casper Ghosts

First Base

Jonathan Griffin, Missoula Osprey

Second Base

Taylor Lindsey, Orem Owlz

Third Base

Sean Buckley, Billings Mustangs

Shortstop

Yadiel Rivera, Helena Brewers

Outfield

Joc Pederson, Ogden Raptors

Ryan Jones, Orem Owlz

David Kandilis, Casper Ghosts

Designated Hitter Frazier Hall, Orem Owlz

Pitcher

Blair Walters, Great Falls Voyagers

Raymond Hernandez, Missoula Osprey

Aaron Brooks, Idaho Falls Chukars

Taylor Siemens, Missoula Osprey

Edwin Carl, Idaho Falls Chukars

Manager Hector De La Cruz, Missoula Osprey

--------------------------

Ralph Nelles Award (MVP): Taylor Lindsey, Orem Owlz

Also nominated: O'Koyea Dickson (Ogden), Eric Groff (Missoula),

Jonathan Griffin (Missoula), Ryan Jones (Orem), David Kandilis (Casper),

Joc Pederson (Ogden)

Logan Hurlbert Award (Pitcher of the Year): Blair Walters, Great Falls Voyagers

Also nominated: Edwin Carl (Idaho Falls), Raymond Hernandez (Missoula), Andy Moye (Helena), Taylor Siemens (Missoula)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Helena's Ben McMahan is kind of an interesting guy. Hits line drives, but hits them hard. A converted catcher playing OF for the first time. Needs to walk more, but will only be 22 going into Wisconsin next year.
Do they plan on moving him full time to OF, or is he playing there because of a lack of bodies and a surplus of catchers? Obviously they need extra catchers in rookie ball with the extra work they give the pitchers on the side. IIRC, McMahan was 2nd string behind perhaps the best catcher in the NCAA and thus was a little under the radar. Unless he is a significant defensive liability, I'd like for them to keep him at C.
In a recent pre-game interview (sorry, not archived), McMahan indicated that he is making the transition to the outfield. Helena broadcaster Steve Wendt could see why, it's a matter of getting Ben's cleanup-worthy RH-bat in the lineup every day.

Hopefully they've found the next Eric Fryer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

• 2 weeks later...

Pioneer League Pitcher of the Week

Tyler Cravy, Helena[/b]
1-0, 0.00 ERA, 1 G, 1 GS, 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 HR, 0 HBP, 0 BB, 9 K
Entering Saturday's matchup with first-half North Division champion Missoula, Cravy had gone winless in seven starts since July 15, when he fanned 12 Idaho Falls Chukars in just five innings. The Osprey fared little better against him Saturday as the 22-year-old right-hander allowed just two hits over six scoreless frames. Cravy, a 17th-round pick in 2009, struck out nine and did not walk a batter. He finished the Pioneer League campaign with 78 strikeouts -- third-most on the circuit -- in 63 innings.

Congrats!

This will be an interesting start to watch for Tyler. Three pretty good starts in a row, Pioneer League Pitcher of the Week, & now closing out the season for Helena. Here are his other two starts this season against Billings --

June 24th (7-6 win): 4 IP, 3 H, 3 R/ER, 1 BB, 5 K

June 29th (4-2 win): 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 K

Could possibly move to #2 in strikeouts in the Pioneer League.

Cravy needs [three, not four] punchouts to move to second place amongst league leaders. He'd need 12 K's to overtake league leader Brian Peacock of Idaho Falls (KCR)

[EDIT: he'd have needed four K's to hold 2nd place alone. Sorry.]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 2 weeks later...

Archived