Brewer Fanatic

Your 2011 Helena/AZL Brewers

We'll kick off the Rookie ball thread with an article on this year's first draft signee:

Tom Haudricourt/Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

You don’t see many 41st-round draft picks make it to the major leagues but don’t bet against Jalen Harris, selected in that round by the Brewers. The prep third baseman out of Toronto, Ontario, Canada was born deaf but did not let that challenge prevent him from realizing his dream of playing pro ball.

Harris, 18, had cochlear implants put in his ears as a toddler, one of the youngest recipients of that surgery. He is hearing impaired but developed into a tremendous athlete who also played hockey as a youth before the risk of head injuries convinced him to stick with baseball.

The 6-foot-2 Harris already has signed with the Brewers and is targeted for the Arizona Rookie League.

“He’s big and strong and athletic, and has a lot of tools,” said Jay Lapp, the Brewer’s scouting supervisor for Canada. “It just hasn’t clicked for him yet. He’ll look great in batting practice and has a great throwing arm but sometimes in games he doesn’t show instincts.

“It’s just not all there yet but no one is going to wonder why we signed this guy when they see what he can do. And I never gave (the hearing impairment) much thought. I don’t really see it as an issue.”

Josh Kusnick, who has represented many Brewers minor-leaguers over the years, is Harris’ agent. Kusnick said Harris turned down a full scholarship to Stetson University to sign with the Brewers.

“This is what he wants to do,” said Kusnick. “Kids drafted that late usually don’t get much of a chance but Jalen wants to prove people wrong. He could turn into a heck of a player and people will say, ‘How did he last until the 41st round?’

“He might be the best athlete the Brewers drafted. And, better yet, he’s a great kid whose make-up is off the charts.”

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers hold first practice

By Amber Kuehn, Helena Independent Record

The boys of summer are back in town.

The first wave of the 2011 Helena Brewers arrived Sunday afternoon, and players participated in a light workout Monday at Kindrick Legion Field. A handful of new signees watched in street clothes while awaiting results from their physicals, but those who were in uniform were already fielding groundballs and taking batting practice a week before opening day.

“It’s very exciting to be back here,” said Brewers manager Joe Ayrault, who coached last year’s squad to a Pioneer League title in his first season. “It’s always good to see the guys get back on the field.”

Players will continue to trickle in throughout the week and the roster is not yet finalized, but fans can expect to see some familiar faces this season. Back from last year are catcher Brent Dean and outfielders John Dishon and Kenny Allison. Other known names among Capital City fans return, like pitcher Eric Arnett, a first-round draft pick two years ago, and Joey Paciorek and Seth Lintz, who have donned Helena uniforms before and are back on rehab assignments. Paciorek, recovering from a broken hand, played third base for the Class A Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, but is being converted to a catcher.

Ayrault noted that the staff’s primary goal is to develop the players’ skills so that they may move up the minor league ladder, though he admits that having athletes return can help ease the transition for those just starting out.

“It’s good to have guys with experience to help guide these younger guys,” he said.

Ayrault was right at home back on the baseball diamond Monday and is happy to be back in the Treasure State. The avid outdoorsman has already jammed plenty of activities in since arriving with his family on June 8.

“We went to Canyon Ferry and caught some fish, then went from hanging out on the beach in our shorts to having a snowball fight and making snow angels on McDonald pass,” he said. “I’ve been enjoying the outdoors and seeing the wildlife.”

A few players taken in last week’s draft have not yet signed, as their seasons continue in the College World Series. Among them is Milwaukee’s top pick from this year, Texas pitcher Taylor Jungmann. The 21-year-old was taken 12th overall and was just recently tagged with his second defeat after starting the season 13-0. The Longhorns advanced out of the Super Regionals by defeating Arizona State.

Opening day for the Brewers is Monday, June 20, when Missoula comes to town for a 7:05 PM start (8:05 Central).

Since the catcher is the most important position on the field and everything starts with him, he is the first one I observe when I watch a game (t.v. or live). I think this might turnout to be a beneficial move for the player as well as the organization. Paciorek has always had a good strong arm and he is not afraid to get in front of the ball. We will have to see how his footwork and ball transitioning pan out, as well as his ability to take charge of the game and the pitching staff. I have a few critics out there that think I bang on or tear down the catching that the Rattlers have every year. I am not tearing down any individual, I simply make observations on the player currently assigned to that position and place my opinions (in open forums). My current observation/opinion about the catching presently assigned to the Rattlers is that it should be changed. I think the back-up catcher should be the starter and another catcher should be brought in, giving the current starter an opportunity to work on many areas that need obvious vast improvement. Prices continue to soar and I do not see anything getting cheaper anytime soon. So, when I attend a game and see something that needs obvious attention, I wish that the organization would attend to it and bring in someone who is ready for that level of baseball. That way, when I leave a game, I can feel confident that I watched the best possible choice for that assignment at that level. That's all, no more, no less. With all that being said, it still boils down to opinions and I'm not the only one out here who has one. Good luck to Paciorek, I hope it all works out for him.

I would love for Arnett and Walla to be impressive this season... love it. Though I guess all of us would like that wouldn't we?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Walla's slash line certainly improved last season, but his 2009 wasn't good at all. He still struck out a lot, and didn't really cut his K rate much. Hopefully he can keep the whiffs down this season & start to drive the ball more. He's still very young. I'm going to dust off a seat & hop on the bandwagon... hopefully his tools start to show.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Really hoping everything that was wrong with Arnett is in the past and he is ready and able to start to be the player that he can be.

Is anyone else extremely disappointed that we are 3-4 days away from the first games of rookie ball and the Brewers have yet to sign really any high picks? Usually the Brewers would have a few top guys ready to go but right now we have signed only 6 of our top 30 picks. Even worse Bruce Seid is going or is down in the Dominican scouting so it could be even longer til we see some top guys locked up.

I'm pumped to follow the DSL guys who have been promoted, the young guys like Pierce, Rivera, Walla, Allison and recent draftees such as Dowell, Harris, Pierce but overall disappointed that we have no Bradley, Lopez, Gagnon, Ramirez, Reed, Keller, Houle, Goforth, Toledo, Smith and etc. Usually the Brewers are right on this and lock up most of the first 20 pretty quick, this I give them a big F in that department. Looking around I don't think there is another team in baseball who has yet to sign at least 1 top 8 pick. Still very early but ugh lol

If Arnett scuffles this season, do you think they will try him as a reliever to see if that helps any? I would guess this is a do or die year for him...
It is only the start of his 2nd full season. Highly doubt they are that will to completely pull the plug on a number 1 pick after 2 1/2 seasons; So not so much do or die as it is just an important season to perform. Reliever is always an option though. Pitchers like him who have struggled mentally or with confidence often perform much better in the pen (Anunsen, Parra) less thought goes into it. You don't have 4 days to dwell, think, be anxious, nervous, and etc. You have no clue when you are going out there and you many times don't have days to bask in what occured your last start.

Amber Kuehn/Helena Independent Record

Helena Brewers manager Joe Ayrault doesn’t feel any added pressure coming into this season, doesn’t sense a target on the Brewers’ backs after ending a 14-year title drought last September.

It’s just business as usual for the defending Pioneer League champions, who will try to win back-to-back trophies for the first time since doing so in 1995 and ’96. And while a handful of players are back from last year’s championship-winning squad, Ayrault and crew will have to put the puzzle together with several new pieces when the 76-game season begins Monday.

“I look at it as a new year with new faces, but the same basic mentality,” said Ayrault, in his second season with Milwaukee’s Advanced Rookie league affiliate. “That is to teach these guys the ropes, teach them how to be professionals not only on the field but off. My big thing is to develop these players into professionals and win ball games.”

The Brewers won plenty of games in Ayrault’s first season last year, going 41-34 during the regular season and sweeping Ogden in two games for the hardware. They did so with a solid pitching staff and timely hitting, and Ayrault expects this year to be no different.

Pitching coach Elvin Nina hasn’t had the opportunity to watch all of his pitchers throw yet, with just a week of practice under their belts and players continuing to trickle in as late as today. It’s been low-intensity workouts thus far, but Nina said he likes what he sees.

“The way some of the arms work, I’m excited to see what it is at a higher effort level,” he said.

Pitchers back from last season include Alex Jones and Seth Lintz, who is on rehab assignment. Fans may also remember right-hander Eric Arnett, a first-round draft pick in 2009 who struggled in his first two seasons.

“His delivery is a little bit cleaner than it has been,” Nina said of Arnett. “His consistency is a little better as far as being in the zone.”

Still, the Brewers will need to find replacements for a pair of big arms from a year ago in Matt Miller — a starter who went 7-2 with a 4.06 ERA in 71 innings of work — and closer Brian Garman, who compiled a team-high nine saves.

“Those arms you can’t really replace,” Nina admitted. “When I was in school we didn’t really replace anybody, we just reloaded. That’s how it is this year. It’s just a matter of making sure these guys believe in themselves and know that they are here because of the talent level that they have.”

In 2010, Helena’s pitchers were only middle of the pack in terms of ERA (4.54), but they recorded more strikeouts (677) than any other team. They were backed by a Brewers’ offense that was third in the league in home runs and walks and fourth in team batting average (.275).

Helena’s parent club placed an emphasis on pitching in this month’s draft — 11 of Milwaukee’s top 20 picks were hurlers — and six recently drafted pitchers have signed and will begin their careers in the Capital City.

“It’s a big part of every level,” Nina said. “You look all around baseball and there’s not a team out there who says ‘we’ve got a surplus of pitching.’ We fall into the same bracket — we’re always looking for more pitchers.”

The team held its first simulated game Wednesday, and Ayrault was impressed with what he saw from pitchers and position players alike.

“I really like the way the guys swung the bats and the way pitchers found the zone,” he said. “I really like the way these guys are going about their business and showing good effort. It seems like another good group of guys.”

Six players on the current roster were with the Arizona League Brewers last season, a team that also captured it’s league championship. Coupled with players who helped win the Pioneer Leauge crown — like catcher Brent Dean and outfielder John Dishon — this year’s crew is heavy on big-game experience.

The Brewers hope that translates into offensive production as well, since the team will be feeling the loss of noteable hitters Mike Walker and Cody Hawn, who have seen early season success in Class A Wisconsin. Hawn’s bat was a big contribution to last season’s title, as he homered twice and drove in eight runs in the final game. When asked how this year’s team will fill the void, Ayrault responded, “We’ll see.”

While he hasn’t had much time to get a feel for the recent signees (a handful of players still have yet to arrive), the manager said the organization and scouting department has provided plenty of background on the new guys — everything from where they are from to tendencies, strengths and weaknesses. Players such as Oregon State catcher Parker Berberet have been on Ayrault’s radar for a while now, with Super Regional and College World Series games being televised. For others, the team has been sent film of their college at-bats and pitchers’ mechanics.

A few have already turned heads in just the short time they have been here. Ayrault said outfielder Max Walla, shortstop Yadiel Rivera and infielder-turned-catcher Joey Paciorek have impressed early on.

“With Max Walla, it’s just the way he carries himself,” Ayrault said of the 2009 second-rounder. “Yadiel Rivera is a real good defensive player, so those two have really stuck out so far.”

Paciorek is only in Helena for a maximum of 20 games while on injury assignment, but Ayrault said he has made the position transition nearly flawlessly.

“He’s got soft hands, he’s throwing the ball well and he’s getting acclimated as far as calling the game,” Ayrault said. “He’s a smart kid, so he picks up on stuff and retains the information.”

Dean, in his second year as a catcher in Helena, said he hasn’t had to offer much advice to Paciorek.

“The guy’s a pure athlete and also a hard worker with attention to detail,” said Dean, who batted .272 a year ago. “I’m trying to learn from him as much as he’s trying to learn from me, to be honest.”

Dean has tried to help make the transition as smooth as possible for new players, many of which find themselves a long way from home — like pitcher Sean Albury, a Nassau, Bahamas, native beginning his pro career more than 2,400 miles from where he grew up.

“It’s a different change of weather, a little cool, but I gotta adjust to it,” said Albury, drafted in the 31st round out of Nova Southeastern. “I’m enjoying myself so far.”

Albury, whose team advanced to its first Regional in school history this year, said being drafted by the MLB fulfilled a lifelong dream and that he’ll do whatever it takes to get to the big leagues. His good friend Michael Fiers, playing just one level shy of the majors for Triple A Huntsville, got his start in Helena and Albury hopes to follow in his footsteps.

“I have some goals I expect to meet,” the 22-year-old said.

So do the Brewers.

“Everyone has high expectations coming in,” Dean said. “I think everyone’s excited to get out and compete.”

The new season begins Monday at 7:05 p.m., when the Brewers host the Missoula Osprey at Kindrick Legion Field. Missoula has not won a season opener since 2002.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/helenair.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/2/7b/147/27b1478c-9a3b-11e0-82c1-001cc4c002e0-revisions/4dfd93651bfd5.image.jpg
Infielder Adrian Williams (Dylan Brown/Helena Independent Record)

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/helenair.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/5/19/3f0/5193f0cc-9a3b-11e0-a6c5-001cc4c002e0-revisions/4dfd93ab3eefb.image.jpg
John Dishon (Dylan Brown/Helena Independent Record)

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/helenair.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/7/b6/431/7b6431e6-9a3b-11e0-a7aa-001cc4c002e0-revisions/4dfd93f173e7f.image.jpg
Pitcher Andrew Moye, right, warms up with Brent Dean (Dylan Brown/Helena Independent Record)

It appears based on the "meet the team" link off the above article on helenair.com that ...

1) Goforth and Nemeth have both signed and are ticketed for Helena

2) The Brewers aren't pushing any of the younger pitchers picked last year with Pierce, White, Johnson and Schaub all apparently headed for Arizona.

Amber Kuehn/Helena Independent Record

Eric Arnett’s shot at redemption begins tonight.

The Helena Brewers right-hander was followed by high expectations when he first entered the league in 2009 as Milwaukee’s top draft pick. But the hurler out of Indiana University quickly learned there was a larger leap between college and professional baseball than he thought.

“It’s definitely been a learning experience,” said the 23-year-old, who finds himself back where his career began. “I was almost a little disappointed about coming to Helena again at first, but then after talking to some people, I realized this is going to be good for me. Now I’m excited about being here, whether it’s for a short time or a whole season.”

Arnett gets the nod in tonight’s season opener for Helena, going up against Missoula’s Robby Rowland. The first pitch is slated for 7:05 p.m.

The last time he stood on the mound at Kindrick Legion Field — in a late August game in ’09 — Arnett’s fastball reached 93 mph, he fanned two batters and he gave up three hits in three innings. But the Pataskala, Ohio, native, who split time between the bullpen and starting rotation, finished the year winless (0-4) with a 4.41 ERA.

It meant starting the 2010 campaign in low-rookie ball with the Arizona League Brewers, where he was 2-0 through five games. Arnett was then promoted to Class A Wisconsin, where he was 1-9 with a 6.70 ERA through 20 games and a strikeouts-to-walks ratio of 60-to-39.

“There were high expectations that I put on myself and from the organization, and in a way I felt like I let them down,” Arnett said. “But like I had before in life, I gained confidence from struggling.”

Although he previously struggled with his command and consistency, and recently suffered another setback two weeks into spring training when he tore the rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder [this injury was previously reported as rotator cuff tendinitis], Arnett’s mentors have noticed improvements and an uptick in his velocity. Helena pitching coach Elvin Nina said Arnett’s delivery is cleaner than it has been in the past and he is finding the strike zone more often now.

“I think I’ve matured physically and mentally,” said Arnett, adding that he was able to put on some weight while doing strength and conditioning. “The shoulder’s 100 percent now.”

While his fastball is what originally caught the eye of professional scouts and his slider has been solid, Arnett is working on perfecting a pair of new pitches to add to his arsenal.

“Recently, my split-finger and changeup have really come a long way,” he said.

This will be Arnett’s first time on the rubber in live game action this year, after spending the spring rehabbing his shoulder at the Brewers’ spring training complex in Phoenix. Though he tries not to dwell on what happened in past outings, he’s not ready to put them entirely in the past.

“I don’t think you ever wanna completely forget it,” Arnett said, noting that those experiences can serve as a reminder of how far he’s come. “I think it’s gonna be a great year.”

Rowland, the Osprey right-hander taking the field tonight, was 4-6 with a 5.67 ERA last year in Missoula after being taken by the Arizona Diamondbacks in the third round of the 2010 draft.

In last year’s curtain-raiser against Missoula, Helena overcame a 4-0 deficit and won 7-6 on a walkoff triple. The Brewers went on to sweep the series and start the season on a four-game win streak.

“Last year we played a little flat to start the game and ended up coming back and winning,” said Brewers catcher Brent Dean. “I’m sure they remember that and aren’t gonna let it happen again.”

The Osprey haven’t won a season-opening game since 2002. Helena has won the last two, with both victories coming against Missoula.

KXLH’s Richy Melby and Evan Weborg are scheduled to throw out the ceremonial first pitches, along with Austin Dunlap, a young boy who is currently battling cancer.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

This photo of Helena catcher Brent Dean (Dean will turn 25 years old next month) graces the cover page of MiLB.com's Pioneer League preview article --

Brent Dean vies for his second consecutive Pioneer League title with Helena. (Bodhi Hill/MiLB.com)

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/2011/06/20/tJZkH3zj.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Based on what we've read in published reports, technically C Joey Paciorek and RHP's Seth Lintz and Skyler Crawford are on rehab assignments with Helena.

Not sure why the team needs to make that designation at this time (and yes, we understand they are coming back from various injuries), just not sure what roster benefits are gained via that designation. If they are going to play, just activate them on Helena's roster, which is well under the 35-man limit at this time.

For now, our Brewerfan Player Index for Helena will show them as being on Helena's DL, but know that they will see action (we believe).

As for players not on Helena's roster that we thought may have been based on age and/or experience, we don't see C Gerard Ogrinc or RHP Jose Oviedo. Nor our Canadian rugby player, 24-year-old RHP Morgan Brinson.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Ex-St. John's Prep pitching ace Peterson signs contract with Brewers

By Jean DePlacido, Salem (MA) News.com correspondent

Former St. John's Prep pitcher Stephen Peterson has overcome many obstacles in his quest to one day become a major league baseball player.

So after an outstanding season on the mound for the University of Rhode Island this spring, Peterson has signed a free agent contract with the Milwaukee Brewers.

The 6-foot-3, 205-pound southpaw reported to the Brewers minor league team in the Arizona Rookie League last week and had a few days to prepare for the season, which starts tonight.

"It's fantastic, a dream come true," said the 23-year-old Peterson. "I flew to Phoenix last Monday, signed all the papers and passed my physical. We had a few days of practice, and once the league starts we play just about every night, with a day off every fifth day.

"I missed two full seasons (because of injuries), but now my arm feels great. I've wanted to do this my entire life — and I have to make the most of my chance."

A 2006 St. John's Prep graduate, Peterson spoke with several major league teams leading up to the draft before Milwaukee called him two days after it had ended (when Peterson, who hadn't been drafted, was free to sign with any team).

"They asked me how I'd like to be a Brewer. When I told them I'd talked to some other clubs, they said not to return any phone calls because they wanted me," he said. "It was such an incredible feeling that I wanted to jump through the phone and say 'Yes!'. They sent the contract out the next morning."

Peterson was a perfect 6-0 in the Atlantic-10 Conference for URI this season with two complete game shutouts. He was 6-4 overall after getting off to a rocky start in February with three losses, including one to top-rated Florida. After that Peterson heated up and was the only unbeaten pitcher in the conference.

He had a team-leading 3.06 ERA with 69 strikeouts in 85 1/3 innings pitched. Opposing batters hit .231 against him.

Peterson is the seventh Ram to sign a major league contract. He received All-Conference and All-New England honors and was named Pitcher of the Game at the New England Intercollegiate Baseball Association all-star game at LeLacheur Park in Lowell earlier this month. Peterson started and pitched two scoreless innings, allowing just one hit while fanning two.

Things didn't always go so smoothly for the big lefty, who is originally from Wilmington but has lived in Danvers since he was 8 years old. He attended Austin Prep for middle school and then had a great career with the Eagles.

Highly recruited out of high school, Peterson accepted a scholarship to Marist but decided to transfer to URI after his freshman year. He knew he would have to sit out the 2009 season after transferring, but before that could happen he suffered a serious injury playing summer ball after leading the Newport Gulls to the semifinals of the New England Collegiate Baseball League. After working hard to improve his game, he learned he needed Tommy John arm surgery.

"I knew it was serious right away, and an MRI taken a couple of weeks confirmed that I tore it," said Peterson. "I was devastated at the time and knew surgery was my only option. I went down to Alabama to have Dr. James Andrews do it because he's the best and has worked with so many major leaguers.

"From the beginning I knew it was going to be a long road back, but it was a challenge I was ready to face."

Peterson faced a 10-to-12 month rehabilitation period, but as soon as possible he started working hard to get back in shape. He figured by having the operation immediately he could be back in time for his senior year of fall ball.

"That's why this opportunity is so important," said Peterson, who is a member of the Arizona League Brewers, one of four teams in the Central League division.

"I have to control what I can to put myself in the best position to move up. All the Rookie games are in Arizona, but if I have a good year I'll go to Helena (Montana) to Advanced Rookie Ball, and then have a shot at A Ball. I feel great, the best I have felt in a long time and can't wait to get going."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Talk about a gap in the system -- the only player of native Latin descent on the Helena roster is SS Yadiel Rivera, who was not a Dominican academy (DSL) player, but rather a fairly prominent draft pick (9th round) out of Puerto Rico. If nothing else, Rivera's english speaking skills should develop quickly this summer. Pitching Coach Elvin Nina is on-site if need be.

Hopefully this niche within the talent gap is addressed starting next year.

As for the current makeup of the AZL roster (Sessile's post in the transaction thread) -- can't wait to see how that on-the-surface dysfunctional lineup shakes out.

Archived