Brewer Fanatic

Is it too early to ask about the 2012 draft?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

colby what about Adam Brett Walker. To me he looks like the best power bat in the whole draft something that is missing in the Brewers farm system right now. To me Walker looks like a right handed version of Adam Dunn with his long swing but yet he has a decent eye at the plate and will take his walks. The other player that I am intrigued by is Mitchell Traver especially with his size and I believe his fastball could develop into the upper 90's as he currently stands in the mid 90's right now. Jake Barrett at Arizona State looks to be another college pitcher that the Brewers would be interested in drafting similar to Jungman and Bradley last year. But I would prefer Adam Brett Walker other than Gavin Cecchini who I think would probably be a better pick if the Mariners would sign Fielder if he would be available in the 2nd round.

I know it is rather early to ask this but do you think either Adam Brett Walker or Mitchell Traver would be available for the Brewers to take either in the 1st round?

I thought Brewers fans would take interest in this story from today's PG World Showcase on RHP Edwin Diaz since some parallels are drawn to Jorge Lopez:

http://www.perfectgame.or...s/View.aspx?article=6446

Rhett Wiseman is a good player. He has good speed, arm strength and some pop, with most of his power going to the gaps at this stage in his career. He really competes, especially at the plate, as I've never seen him cheated in any PA. His work ethic and personality stand out, as he's a really sharp and respectful young man and someone you root for. His tools don't stand out in this special HS OF class, but they're solid at worse across the board, although I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Vanderbilt. That said, I could also see him enjoying success given his drive and dedication alone.

Adam Brett Walker does have incredible power, and he's from Milwaukee. I'm not sure if his power is the best in this class, as prep IF/RHP Joey Gallo (a Russell Branyan clone) and Georgia Southern OF Victor Roache would be in the same conversation. I've written before that I'm a little concerned with Walker's swing, as I think he's going to be prone to strikeouts, possibly as severe as Adam Dunn is. But he also has a Dunn-type upside in regards to productivity. He has been compared to Frank Thomas, but Thomas was an incredible athlete (Auburn TE IIRC) and one of the best, most underrated and complete hitters the game has ever seen.

I would think both Walker and Traver would be realistic possibilities for the Brewers when they pick. Cecchini actually is the one player you mentioned that I think may be gone when the Brewers pick (at least where their pick stands now) given his defense and upside at a premium position. Barrett's a future short reliever. Watch him pitch if you can sometime, or find some video online, and you'll see he's about as max effort as they come.

Speaking of Cecchini, if he is available, I think the Brewers have to take him, and it's something I've been meaning to bring up in this forum for quite some time. Yes, you should never draft for need, but the Brewers have a severe need for a SS. Jose Valentin's son Jesmuel should be another target of theirs for the same reason.

I'd actually prefer Sims and Virant over Traver. I heard that Traver still needs to work on his offspeed stuff, and while his projection is intriguing, Sims already has a well established offspeed stuff in his curveball and I heard his changeup isn't that far behind either. As for Virant, I just give him the edge because hard-throwing lefties with tons of room to grow don't grow on trees.

I'm very intrigued by Edwin Diaz. He seems to have a lot of room to grow along with a fastball that can touch the mid-90s. He still has to smooth out his mechanics, but he has some time to do so. Wouldn't mind the Brewers getting him later in the draft.

Wouldn't mind the Brewers getting him later in the draft.

How much later do you expect him to fall? Several people in my office think Diaz is already a first round pick as it stands right now, as his projectability and electric arm suggests that his 91-94 fastball could easily turn into a 93-97 arm within no time.

As for Traver vs. Sims and Virant, Sims and Virant don't have much of a chance to fall to #28, whereas Traver is more likely to fall to the Brewers 2nd round pick than Diaz does. Of course it's way too early to try and figure who falls where.

Not entirely sure when Diaz will be picked, but from what I've read at Perfect Game, he still needs to work on his offspeed stuff, and from what I've seen on video, he could use some work on his mechanics(although not too drastic). I'd say at the worst he could fall to the 2nd round.

As for Sims and Virant, I'm hoping that if the Brewers get a pick towards the middle of the 1st round from Fielder that they would draft one of Sims or Virant. And nowadays I'm hearing a little that Sims may be a latter half of the round talent, so there may be a chance he may fall to the Brewers for at #28.

Yeah, Diaz is a little more raw, but his upside is pretty tremendous. I know I've mentioned his electric arm, but just watch his arm speed and easy, whip-like motion. Mechanics can be brushed up, but you can't teach what he has going for him.

Sims and Virant could both easily fall, as they're far from finished products. Max Fried is probably my favorite prep pitcher not named Giolito as his curveball is a big-league hammer when he's throwing it as well as he can. Nathan Kirby is my pick for a player who I think could make a big jump this spring. He's a LHP that peaks around 92 and a big CB that strikes out just about everyone he faces. He's a Virginia recruit, a school known for developing some pretty good pitchers.

However, if the Brewers find themselves in the middle of the first I hope they take advantage of the incredible HS OF class. They need to get some more impact bats in their system, and this is a good year to do that.

Speaking of Cecchini, if he is available, I think the Brewers have to take him, and it's something I've been meaning to bring up in this forum for quite some time. Yes, you should never draft for need, but the Brewers have a severe need for a SS. Jose Valentin's son Jesmuel should be another target of theirs for the same reason.

Didn't both McFarland and Jenkins sign from the 2011 draft?

McFarland was an 18th rounder, but wasn't he seen as a higher-round pick? And Jenkins looks pretty solid as well.

McFarland is a good player, but not a SS long-term. He's a 2B/3B.

Jenkins is a long ways away. Even if McFarland played SS I wouldn't find peace with the organization's SS depth due to his/their presence. Arcia from what I can tell is the only guy worth getting excited about at this point in time, and yet scouting reports on him are limited (not to mention how far away he is from contributing).

Keep in mind the Brewers have a pretty incredible track record drafting shortstops in the first round, including Gorman Thomas, Yount, Molitor, Sveum, Sheffield and even Bill Spiers, even if some switched positions. Without looking, and I'm guessing I'm forgetting someone, but I think the earliest they have taken a SS recently was Josh Murray in 2002.

If you're looking to get a head start on the 2012 draft, check out Perfect Game's free preview week. Yes, you need to provide a credit card number to take advantage of it, but there is a way for you to opt out after registering to make sure you don't get charged after the trial. If you have any questions, let me know:

http://www.perfectgame.or...s/View.aspx?article=6441

Adam Brett Walker does have incredible power, and he's from Milwaukee. I'm not sure if his power is the best in this class, as prep IF/RHP Joey Gallo (a Russell Branyan clone) and Georgia Southern OF Victor Roache would be in the same conversation. I've written before that I'm a little concerned with Walker's swing, as I think he's going to be prone to strikeouts, possibly as severe as Adam Dunn is. But he also has a Dunn-type upside in regards to productivity. He has been compared to Frank Thomas, but Thomas was an incredible athlete (Auburn TE IIRC) and one of the best, most underrated and complete hitters the game has ever seen.

I would think both Walker and Traver would be realistic possibilities for the Brewers when they pick. Cecchini actually is the one player you mentioned that I think may be gone when the Brewers pick (at least where their pick stands now) given his defense and upside at a premium position. Barrett's a future short reliever. Watch him pitch if you can sometime, or find some video online, and you'll see he's about as max effort as they come.

Hopefully Prince signs with the Nationals somehow and the Brewers get the 16th pick in the draft where I think the Brewers could possibly get Cecchini but maybe he will be gone by then who knows. I think Adam Brett Walker would be a perfect pick for the Brewers either their first round pick or in the supplemental round. The one thing I am worried about though is that the Brewers continue with the drafting of fast movers though Adam Brett Walker could be seen as a fast mover. I am hoping the Brewers consider an impact bat this year as they need an impact bat and I thought CJ Cron last year would have been that guy but I would be very happy with Adam Brett Walker as he could be like Dunn but I also agree I don't see any Frank Thomas in him. Dunn really is the perfect comparison with Adam Brett Walker as I think he could possibly be a very valuable 1B or corner OF but more than likely he is destined to be a 1B and he is a huge target at 1B.

I did get to see Barrett play a little bit last year but not enough to notice anything. I wonder if he will be available in the 3rd round or later for the Brewers to take because I think he could be a good closer or setup man or a very good bullpen piece for the Brewers. I am going to try and catch some ASU games this year as I am now living in Arizona now so hopefully I can see some games here.

Also colby who are the players to watch for in the PAC-12 this year? Do you think Deven Marrero could possibly fall to the Brewers as he is another player I think would be perfect for the Brewers at SS. He will probably be average offensively at SS but I think his defense could well make up for that and from what I have seen from him he reminds me of Hardy before the ankle injury. There is also Brady Rodgers on the ASU team and I believe he was drafted by the Brewers in 09 and it looks as though he maybe a late 1st round, supplemental or 2nd round pick.

ASU and Stanford are the most loaded with talent. Marrero could go in the top 3-5 overall picks. Brady Rodgers is a nice pitcher, but it known more for his command and 3-pitch repertoire than for his velocity. Barrett can light up radar guns, but as I noted above, is as max effort as they come. Alex Blackford is mostly upper-80s but spins a nice CB while Andrew Aplin is one of the best defensive CFs in the college game.

Stanford is loaded, led by RHP Mark Appel. LHP Brett Mooneyham is coming off of a finger injury, giving them 2 pretty good weekend starters. 3B Stephen Piscotty, SS Kenny Diekroeger, LF Tyler Gaffney and CF Jake Stewart could all go in the early rounds. Austin Wilson, Brian Ragira and AJ Vanegas are players to watch for the 2013 draft. Unfortunately for you, ASU is traveling to Stanford this year.

Cal has a couple of intriguing prospects in 2B Tony Renda and LHP Justin Jones. Arizona has a solid Friday starter in Kurt Heyer who can dial it up to the mid-90s. Oregon (another team I think ASU travels to) has LHP Christian Jones. Washington has 3B Jake Lamb, who has promise but has yet to break out.

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is that since the 1st and the supplemental rounds will be the only time the Brewers will be able to spend relatively much in the draft, they will focus more on the HS players(they do need some high-ceiling talent).

I'm hoping for N. Williams, Lucas Sims, and/or Duane Underwood.

The Brewers will have picks #27, #28 and #38, not a terrible consolation prize for losing Fielder (although the Nationals' pick would have been nicer). IMO the pressure will be on to get those picks right. They can't reach for the Evan Frederickson's of the world.

http://www.perfectgame.or...s/View.aspx?article=6410

Colby (or anyone), can you share a small pool of players you'd want to see the Brewers target at that #27-#28 juncture? Back to back picks seems like a nice position to be in, even though it obviously would've been better to be at the Nats' #16.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

My guess is that since the 1st and the supplemental rounds will be the only time the Brewers will be able to spend relatively much in the draft, they will focus more on the HS players(they do need some high-ceiling talent).

The Brewers can spend as much as they want on anyone in the top 10 rounds, without penalty, as long as they don't exceed their pre-determined draft pool. That amount for all of their picks in the top 10 rounds will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $7.5 million. So, they could sign their 10th rounder for $6.5 million and all of their other picks in the top 10 rounds for $100K each if they wanted to.

There already have been quite a few names brought up in this thread, but Kyle Zimmer is one that someone else brought up that makes a lot of sense for the Brewers. He's a bigger bodied college RHP with a live arm that fits the profile of the type of player they have been drafting in recent years.

Samford's Lex Rutledge and St. John's Kyle Hansen, both of whom were drafted by the Brewers out of HS, also fit that bill. Austin Maddox, who is going to pitch out of the bullpen for the Gators while also hitting in the middle of the lineup, has a relatively fresh arm that could be an interesting conversion prospect. I saw him throw easily in the mid-90s with a sharp breaking ball at last year's CWS, and he has the body and a clean enough delivery that a starting role could be possible. Brett Mooneyham as mentioned just a few posts above is another player to watch this season after missing all of 2011.

The team has showed a preference for more 'pure' hitters, players whose defensive position may be somewhat in question but show advanced skills handling the bat. Jesse Winker, Alex Bregman and Nick Williams fit this profile (although I don't think Williams makes it to #27), and college sluggers such as Adam Brett Walker and Richie Shaffer could also be in the mix. Stony Brook's Travis Jankowski, GT's Brandon Thomas and St. John's Jeremy Baltz also have advanced hitting tools.

There's way too many prep pitchers that could fall into that range to mention at this point in time.

I really wish the Nats would have signed Prince as that would have given the Brewers the possibility of getting Gavin Cecchini a lot more likely. But if the Brewers draft any of these players or get the chance to draft them I would be happy: David Dahl, Addison Russell, Jesmuel Valentin Diaz, Lewis Brinson, Albert Almora, Adam Brett Walker, Gavin Cecchini, and Duane Underwood

Thanks for the response, Patrick. And I have to agree with narwhal, my hopes are now officially up for Williams at #27. The guy I felt like that about last year was Javier Baez, who went three spots ahead of the Brewers' first pick (Jungmann)... so hopefully better luck with Williams.

Glad to hear there are so many good arms available. I just hope the Brewers identify the right players at 27 & 28.

Yeah I really, really hope the Brewers veer away from the typical big bodied college pitcher with their picks. I'd love to see a third basemen, a shortstop and a high school pitcher taken with these three picks. Or maybe a catcher. Obviously best player available but I wouldn't mind them seeing them going for a higher ceiling higher risk guy. I have mentioned this before but I haven't been overly impressed with their last couple of drafts, though last year's has a chance to be pretty good.

After restocking the pitching ranks the past couple years I would really like to see some high-ceiling bats. Unlike some I think what they did with the first three picks last year. Jungmann may not have elite upside but he was solid. Bradley is a little less polished but some like his upside more and Lopez has a lot of upside. I am hoping for 2 bats and a high school arm like paul said. I dont really care about position since we have no clue who will be on the big league team in a few years. We dont have many solid bats in the minors and hopefully this draft can a ways into changing that

Totally agree on just drafting bats & not worrying yet about the positions. Definitely time, right now anyway, for the Jack Z approach to drafting http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/smile.gif

Archived