Brewer Fanatic

A's fire Bob Geren, hire Bob Melvin

patrickgpe

Three posts below Geren getting fired.

It's considered unlikely that A's GM Billy Beane would fire Geren, a longtime friend, during the season, according to Slusser. The skipper is signed through 2011.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

it's looked more like Bandoball than Moneyball out there.
This made me laugh.

To be fair to Beane, they have bad ownership, a bad stadium, and bad attendance. Hard to make things work in such a market. However, he's been GM there a long time, and you would think the rope would run out at some point.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Verified Member
That team has been just riddled with injuries over the past 10 years or so too. Every good player they have seems to get hurt.

That's because Moneyball undervalues grit.

That team has been just riddled with injuries over the past 10 years or so too. Every good player they have seems to get hurt.

That shouldn't come as a surprise given he went out and got some guys with a history if injuries. Weren't they supposed to be the next wave of undervalued guys or something of the sort?

All in all he's working with a shoestring budget so it is more difficult than some jobs. I tend to think anyone who has shown they can build a good team once can do so again. That said I don't know if he's adapted to the changing times as much as he should. The Rays, Twins models seems to be more effective for small budget clubs than the A's at this point.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived