Brewer Fanatic

Brewers draft picks in the CWS

He looked really uncomfortable out there in the 4th and 5th. I think with his motion being all upper body, his mechanics can get out of wack really easy. I would like to see him take a month off of major competition working on his delivery down in Arizona and rest his arm.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jungmann hasn't looked all that sharp after the 2nd inning or so, but like Law also said, plenty of good pitchers got touched up today. Sonny Gray got knocked around pretty good, and he's the guy most people were upset the Brewers passed on to take Jungmann.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Well he's out of the game already here in the 5th, I thought he threw a couple of better curves today, I still like his change, he showed some nice athleticism again, but his control was pretty bad after 2nd.

edit. His FB was 90-91 after the 2nd. He was hitting 93 in the first.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Jungmann needs some serious coaching and mechanical adjustments, but man, I love his raw skill set.

I agree with this, he looked very athletic and most on this forum have been following him for 2-3 starts and are making definitive or very strong opinions based on a sample size that would be disqualified for Greinke or Yo at any part of the season because they are proven. This guy is just as proven in the league that he has pitched at. I wish we could look at the other games he pitched were he posted a sub 1 era and all of the other outlandish stats that he posted throughout the season. He was 6-0 in the CWS coming into tonight, I think that proves he can pitch up to the pressure.

http://static.yuku.com/common/bypass/images/off_line.gifTheCrew07
Well he's out of the game already here in the 5th, I thought he threw a

couple of better curves today, I still like his change, he showed some

nice athleticism again, but his control was pretty bad after 2nd.

edit. His FB was 90-91 after the 2nd. He was hitting 93 in the first.

_____________________________________________________________________-

I also re-watched 2 batters in the 4th inning and he hit 92 three times and 93 once on only two batters. Sometimes perception is reality. I am not saying anything definitive about how he is going to progress and obviously he didn't pitch his best game today. But he was still hitting 93 in the 4th today so it is only fair to have the truth represented. Also Florida was the highest rated offense in the nation. They are bound to score runs. His location definitely was off, I am not making excuses, jut looking for a fair report.

I agree with this, he looked very athletic and most on this forum have been following him for 2-3 starts and are making definitive or very strong opinions based on a sample size that would be disqualified for Greinke or Yo at any part of the season because they are proven. This guy is just as proven in the league that he has pitched at.
Strong opinions? Those are observations on his current repertoire, he's being discussed like we discuss any other prospect on the minor league forum. I suggest you read up on the many conversations over there concerning Austin Ross starting in May as a reference. No one has said he can't be #2 some day, but he's a long ways from that of level of success at this point in time. Outside of Mayo from MLB.com you won't find many prospect gurus who have written a glowing report of Jungmann and for good reason based on 3 games I've seen him pitch now. He doesn't seem nearly as MLB ready as he was billed. All of his pitches need refinement and he could use serious mechanical adjustments as well. Not to mention he doesn't come off very well in interviews at all. He's got the body and frame the Brewers really like, he's a got a nice arm, he's athletic, and he's competitive on the mound... but none of that means he'll fly through the minors and be a top of the rotation pitcher for us. There's plenty of reason for pause so far with this draft pick.

But he was still hitting 93 in the 4th today so it is only fair to have the truth represented. Also Florida was the highest rated offense in the nation. They are bound to score runs. His location definitely was off, I am not making excuses, jut looking for a fair report.

I think you misunderstood what I meant or maybe I wasn't clear enough... his FB was mostly sitting 90-91 after the 2nd, he was sitting mostly 93 early on. When I talk velocity I usually specifically mention if I'm talking about a pitcher's top end but generally just give the average velocity. I'm more concerned with where a pitcher actually works vs where he maxes out. Starting pitchers usually max out 3-5 mph over their average velocity. I apologize for the gross misrepresentation of his performance.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I agree, I was just trying to point out that he was still hitting the same numbers at points during the 4th. It's not like I am keeping a chart on his pitches. I re-read the entire thread today before I posted and I felt as though most posts were negative when none of us have really seen him pitch more than 2 or 3 games.

My main point was that he was still hitting those numbers in the 4th. He hit them 4 times over 2 batters in the inning so if he threw 20 pitches he still hit that number 1/5 of the time if not more. When a poster has 5500+ posts such as yourself most people take them at their word and I just remembered him hitting that speed several times in the 3rd-4th innings.

For what it's worth, I talked to a half dozen Texas fans(ages from 20's to 60's) at the CWS last week. Two were just casual fans(and they admitted it to me), and the other 4 were "bleed burnt orange" fans. All 6 of them had nothing bad to say about Jungmann. In fact they all said he was a class act kid who they loved to watch pitch. If anything they said he was a little too competitive and comes off as self centered when in fact he's not, he just wants to win!

There's nothing official in what I say or there's nothing other to back this up, take it for what it's worth. But, I've been to Omaha the last 12 years, meet people each year from different schools/area of the country. Sometimes, not all of the time, it's more of what's between the ears and in the heart that matters.

not a Brewer pick, but can we please pick up South Carolina catcher Robert Beary up as a senior non-drafted free agent.....the guy has made three tremendous defensive plays in the last three innings and has been hitting well in the post season......Tanner was incredulous that Beary did not get drafted.

Archived