Brewer Fanatic

Bullpen reshuffle: Is it time to remove Loe from 8th inning role?

Loe's blown up one too many times for my blood. He's lost 5 games already and last night would have been his 6th had not they rallied. Had he lost, he would be on pace for 16 losses this season out of the pen. His ERA is now 5.46.

Hopefully Saito will return soon and reclaim that role, but until then I'd use a combo of Hawkins and Braddock in the 8th, and Mitre and Dillard in the 7th. Loe should be relegated to mop up duty, if not outright released to make room for the return of McClendon. I'm assuming Estrada recent struggles make him expendable upon the return of Saito

I say it's time for Roenicke to wake up and stop having Loe pitch to lefty bats. It's also time for the manager to use a quicker hook with his relievers. Match ups slow the game but can be really effective.

It's the soft underbelly of this bullpen, and has been mentioned by several writers lately - aside from Axford, there haven't been many Brewer relievers who can consistently strike guys out. Braddock being back should help that, but relying on guys like Loe to be late inning shutdown guys is asking for trouble. Loe isn't good enough to be considered the "8th inning guy" exclusively. I think the Brewers should play matchups as much as possible through the 8th inning, at least until Saito is back healthy or Braddock starts dominating (hopefully).

Regarding playing matchups, until recently Roenicke really hasn't had the arms in the pen to play many matchups.

I say it's for Roenicke to wake and stop letting Loe pitch to lefty bats. It's also time for the manager to use a quicker hook with his relievers. Match ups slow the game but can be really effective.

Good in theory but hard to do with only one lefty. Do agree his hook needs to be shorter. Leaving him in there to face the right handed Paulino, with Hawkins ready, made little sense.

I'm not necessarily on board that you need a strikeout guy so much as you don't need a sinker ball guy with inconsistent command. Mitre has had more consistent command all year than has Loe, even though Mitre's K rate is very low.

I don't really want anyone confined to a specific role besides Axford. Play the matchups. If there's lefties/switch-hitters coming up, Loe should not be an option. Braddock is more than a LOOGY so he can pitch a full inning if needed. Dillard should probably only face righties but he's been really tough on them so I would have confidence with him in a high-leverage situation. Like others have said, matchups should dictate who pitches, not just the inning.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

It's just tough in tight games to rely on a below average Brewer defense to make all the plays - it would be nice to have more relievers who can get outs without needing a ball to be put in play so often.

DFA Nieves, call up Taylor Green. Green gets starts v. RHP, & plays as a defensive replacement at 3B. Play Wilson/Counsell as defensive replacements at SS. Problem (mostly) solved.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'd like Roenicke to realize that Loe can be pulled from a game before he gives up five runs. Roenicke seems more than willing to pull his starters (even when they're still pitching well), but is really hesitant to pull Loe. Maybe it's "man love" on certain relievers, maybe it's a belief the "Loe's my 8th inning guy, so he's staying in," or maybe it's something else, but as Briggs mentioned, Loe has lost a lot of games for us this year. A shorter hook would at least give us a chance to come back. We can't count on comebacks like last night.

To answer the topic question: Yes, I would remove Loe from the 8th inning spot. If we're going to go with defined roles, Hawkins and Braddock should be the RH/LH setup guys, and Loe should be a middle reliever. Loe had a decent year last season, but prior to that he doesn't have much of a history of being that good. He shouldn't be counted on as a high leverege guy.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Hawkins isn't really any better than Loe at this point though, he just haven't given up a lot of runs yet. None of our bullpen guys really inspire confidence other than Axford when he has his command. Saito, Braddock and Parra being hurt really messed up what was going to be an ok bullpen. Loe certainly shouldn't be facing good LH in important situations though.

From RRR:

“He’s been our guy,” said Roenicke. “I still have confidence in him. He’s getting some sinkers up in the (strike) zone. They’re not down like they were earlier.

“We’ve been pitching great. You’re not going to pitch great all year. I still really like Kameron Loe and I have a ton of confidence in him.”

It looks like Saito is close to returning, which would definitely help the bullpen. Hopefully he can stay healthy the rest of the year. Per Haudricourt:

"In another bit of news, reliever Takashi Saito threw a simulated game today as he continues to work back from an oblique strain. He will go out on a minor-league rehab assignment Sunday with Class A Wisconsin, then probably two more with Nashville before being activated."

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I NEVER thought Loe was an 8th inning guy. He should be used as a situational reliever only. Not sure IF the Crew has a true 8th inning guy on the roster right now. Braddock might have the stuff. Don't know about Saito as we've never really had a chance to see him healthy.

Truthfully I think Axford is the perfect 8th inning guy. To bad there are really no other closer options on the team now!

It's just tough in tight games to rely on a below average Brewer defense to make all the plays - it would be nice to have more relievers who can get outs without needing a ball to be put in play so often.

DFA Nieves, call up Taylor Green. Green gets starts v. RHP, & plays as a defensive replacement at 3B. Play Wilson/Counsell as defensive replacements at SS. Problem (mostly) solved.

I don't disagree with DFAing Nieves but I do think we need a backup catcher.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Well they always could use McGehee as the backup. I was just thinking about that the other day, when his batting stats are approaching Jason Kendall territory.

Loe should be relegated to mop up duty, if not outright released to make room for the return of McClendon.

Dougie is slow to cut ties with his choices and former Rangers. I don't see Loe going anywhere after that half season of success last year after years of mediocre crap. He just doesn't have a strong FB to make the sinker that much more effective. When he can't locate his sinker (a lot this year) he doesn't have an out pitch and he gets battered around.

How many ROOGY's does our bullpen really need? Send down Dillard, call up Herrera. Put Loe in a position to succeed by having him only face righties in a tight spot. If he continues to struggle thru the all-star break, call up DeFilice.

Until Saito comes back, let the matchups dictate who's gonna pitch to who in the 8th inning.

It's pretty damn simple, which makes it all the more frustrating.

How many ROOGY's does our bullpen really need? Send down Dillard, call up Herrera.
Why would we send down Dillard now? He's pitched very well in the few innings he's been up so far. He even got some lefties out last night. He's actually been one of the best pitchers out of the bullpen for the past couple of weeks. I think he's earned his spot for now.

Whoops, yeah I forgot the 3-catcher experiment had ended

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

How many ROOGY's does our bullpen really need? Send down Dillard, call up Herrera.
Why would we send down Dillard now? He's pitched very well in the few innings he's been up so far. He even got some lefties out last night. He's actually been one of the best pitchers out of the bullpen for the past couple of weeks. I think he's earned his spot for now.

That's the thing though. He got some lefties out last night, so now there's little doubt that our egghead manager will think that means he'll be able to get them out again tonight. Kinda what happened with Loe earlier this year.

Dillard was just a suggestion. I'd guess he's the worst reliever going forward. I rated him much higher when he threw over the top with a mid 90s fastball and a high 80s slider.

From what little I've seen of Loe this season, it seems he is throwing a lot of almost side-arm sliders, and because of his height they are often up in the zone. Has he always done this? It seems that with his height he should be throwing more over the top to generate downward plane and induce ground balls. Those sidearm sliders up in the zone are getting pounded.

Archived