Brewer Fanatic

Ideas to afford Prince Fielder

AJAY
rawbecht wrote:

What if we just resigned Greinke and/or Marcum and found a replacement for Prince? I think that would be a little easier to do and probably better.

Well we were a .500 team with Prince but without Greinke and Marcum. We were a playoff team with two stud pitches in Sheets and Sabathia. I really believe pitching should be the focus for now, as the Giants showed us last year. It's easier to replace a first-baseman like Prince than it is to replace top-of-the-line pitchers.
I agree that pitching is the key but it is safer to spend big money on hitting then it is on pitching. Signing Greinke to a big money 5 year contract is a much bigger risk than spending it on a great young hitter. I would only offer Prince the big contract if I felt very comfortable that 2 of my minor league pitchers are going to be able to step it up over the next couple years and if I see Gallardo take that next step up to be our ace.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

How about a bake sale? That might help in two ways....

I would only offer Prince the big contract if I felt very comfortable that 2 of my minor league pitchers are going to be able to step it up over the next couple years...

I think that is the thing. We have better prospects for position players close to the majors than we have pitching prospects.

1) Get to the World Series = ~$30M additional profit from extra home games.

2) Trade Hart and Gamel for a good young cheap SS. Have Katin and Gindl platoon in RF. Replace Hawkins and Saito with Kintzler and McClendon. That combined would free up $11-12M.

That creates an additional $40M per year to spend on Fielder, Marcum, and Grienke.

1) Get to the World Series = ~$30M additional profit from extra home games.

2) Trade Hart and Gamel for a good young cheap SS. Have Katin and Gindl platoon in RF. Replace Hawkins and Saito with Kintzler and McClendon. That combined would free up $11-12M.

That creates an additional $40M per year to spend on Fielder, Marcum, and Grienke.

Sounds like a deal to me.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

http://sports.yahoo.com/m...ee_agent_spending_061411

Thought this was an interesting article. Some agent thinks Prince will get 8 years, $200 million. Now we can try to figure out how to afford that, lol. For some reason I think the Nationals are the front-runner.

I know the point of this thread is to come up with ways to afford Prince. But I'm not sure if it's supposed to be funny (like the bake sale idea) or serious. If it's supposed to be funny, keep them coming. But if it's supposed to be serious, he doesn't deserve the money it would take and I wouldn't want to give him the money it would take so the thread is pointless (IMO).
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I know the point of this thread is to come up with ways to afford Prince. But I'm not sure if it's supposed to be funny (like the bake sale idea) or serious. If it's supposed to be funny, keep them coming. But if it's supposed to be serious, he doesn't deserve the money it would take and I wouldn't want to give him the money it would take so the thread is pointless (IMO).
Yeah, good point. I'd have to agree with you. I was just trying to remind people what the thread is actually about. The title should probably just be changed, but I know people complained earlier on when it got off topic.

Seriorg idea: Trade Hart and give up any chance of signing Greinke or Marcum to an extension. Any budgeting for a Prince extension needs to incorporate the fact that Braun will be making a lot more money in the future than he is now.

Not so seriorg idea: Sell RRR's brain to a research lab.

Not so seriorg idea: Sell RRR's brain to a research lab.
He would need to have one for this to work.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

though he's getting better every year, i just don't trust that Fielder will be the exception to power hitters historically falling off just past 30 years old. it'd be great to have him for a few more years, but $23M per year to pay a theoretically marginal player would cripple the team. Seattle once thought Sexon would remain a good power hitter once, too.

plus Melvin and Co. tend to be better at developing hitters than pitchers, and finding good hitters in FA. having our two biggest contracts be for hitters banks a lot on Melvin turning things around and developing some pitchers. this doesn't play to Melvin's strength as a GM.

Thanks for the link DieHard.

"The Brewers want to retain Fielder, and he wants to stay. However, I’m not sure the Brewers will be willing to match what the free-agent market will offer him. The Brewers are more likely to extend their starting pitchers than they are to re-sign Fielder. The Brewers should enjoy this special time with one of the game's best sluggers. If the fans keep filling the upper deck and the Brewers make it deep into the playoffs, maybe a miracle will happen."

It's good to see that national sports writers think we will work on extending Marcum and Greinke, and it's not just a pipe dream from us fans.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Thanks for the link DieHard.

"The Brewers want to retain Fielder, and he wants to stay. However, I’m not sure the Brewers will be willing to match what the free-agent market will offer him. The Brewers are more likely to extend their starting pitchers than they are to re-sign Fielder. The Brewers should enjoy this special time with one of the game's best sluggers. If the fans keep filling the upper deck and the Brewers make it deep into the playoffs, maybe a miracle will happen."

It's good to see that national sports writers think we will work on extending Marcum and Greinke, and it's not just a pipe dream from us fans.

Yeah, I do think it's a pretty obvious choice to try to resign the guys you just gave up most of your top prospects for.

Archived