Brewer Fanatic

2011-06-08 Mets (Pelfrey) at Brewers (Wolf) - [Brewers with a walk-off win, 7-6]

"And the Brewers don't like to use the intentional walk to much."

That's a good thing Bill. You can shut it any time now.

Sure about that?
Yes, absolutely. I am not results oriented. You never walk the bases loaded. Even the best hitters get themselves out around 60% of the time. Even the best hitters only have a 1 in 10 chance of hitting a HR. Most closer to 1 in 20.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This will be Kameron Loe's 6th loss on the season. That is absolutely horrendous. Reminds me of Hoffmans start to 2010. Maybe worse. Low should not be allowed to pitch in close games anymore if at all. The only relief pitcher who has blown more leads is Brian Fuentes of Oakland.

It is a major stretch to say you never walk the bases loaded. When you are already down by one with a base open facing a guy with three hits already; you walk him end of story. Especially when Loe is supposedly a sinker ball pitcher who gets a lot of ground balls.

Complain about the relief pitching all you want, and with good reason. But let's not let the good feeling come out of Florida mask the fact that, if the Crew does not score more than 1 more run tonight, they will have scored 3 or fewer runs in 5 of their last 9 games and 11 of their last 21.

I just figured out what's the problem...

The Mets announcers just called their team "gritty".

We've been out-"grittied".

Of course we have. Counsell and Kotsay haven't played yet.

I blame Wang.

I really don't understand what's so hard with this bullpen stuff, it's always seemed pretty straightforward.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

This will be Kameron Loe's 6th loss on the season. That is absolutely horrendous. Reminds me of Hoffmans start to 2010. Maybe worse. Low should not be allowed to pitch in close games anymore if at all. The only relief pitcher who has blown more leads is Brian Fuentes of Oakland.
Given his role that's 6 losses in games that should have been won or that the Brewers had at least a good shot of winning.

You walk the bases loaded there. The guy has 3 hits tonight. You're already losing and you have a sinkerballer on the mound. A double play gets you out of the inning. There was no reason to pitch to him there. That decision (along with actually putting Loe in in the first place to face lefties) has likely cost us a game.

That doesn't hide the fact that in the last two games, against guys with ERA's near 6, we've scored three runs, both on Prince Fielder homeruns. We've had plenty of guys on base too.

Complain about the relief pitching all you want, and with good reason. But let's not let the good feeling come out of Florida mask the fact that, if the Crew does not score more than 1 more run tonight, they will have scored 3 or fewer runs in 5 of their last 9 games and 11 of their last 21.

So you're saying they score more than 3 runs about half the time? That's great!

Verified Member
Kotsay did play remember. He used his awesome power to fly out to the warning track.
His warning track power only carried it 20 yards short of the track.

Kotsay did play remember. He used his awesome power to fly out to the warning track.
Yeah but it wasn't enough grit™. We need Counsell. It may already be to late.

I blame Wang.

if you don't trust Braddock RR maybe Melvin should look to bring up another Lefty from Nashville. Loe is overworked and overused by RR and like i said if they tinker with the roster they need to find a good arm. The last two night the starters deserve two win not good with STL arriving soon/

Also, if I can go back to the bottom of the 7th here...

If Lucroy was going ot come into the game anyway (which he had to), why did he NOT pinch hit for Nieves? Lucroy is a much better hitter (highest average on the team) than Kotsay. Two men on base, and you don't put him in. Not only that, but you don't double switch after Kotsay makes an out. This would have let Lucroy lead off eighth at the very least. And taken Loe out of the game. This could work out where Lucroy plays but doesn't even hit. You also wasted two position players for on PH (and another one when the 9 spot comes up next inning).

Can anyone please explain this? 1 - why Kotsay PH over Lucroy and 2 - why not double switch?

It is a major stretch to say you never walk the bases loaded. When you are already down by one with a base open facing a guy with three hits already; you walk him end of story. Especially when Loe is supposedly a sinker ball pitcher who gets a lot of ground balls.
1. It shouldn't surprise you that people have looked at average performances after a good start to a game. A guy with 3 hits is not expected to hit any better than his normal expectations. Hell, you can take a guy who's been hot for a week and it really tells you nothing. Pretty much a myth.

2. Intentionally walking the bases loaded is generally very bad because of the whole walk scores a run thing.

1. It shouldn't surprise you that people have looked at average performances after a good start to a game. A guy with 3 hits is not expected to hit any better than his normal expectations. Hell, you can take a guy who's been hot for a week and it really tells you nothing. Pretty much a myth.

2. Intentionally walking the bases loaded is generally very bad because of the whole walk scores a run thing.

Also the typical batter's BA goes up by like 30 points because of the need to throw strikes.

You walk the bases loaded there. The guy has 3 hits tonight. You're already losing and you have a sinkerballer on the mound. A double play gets you out of the inning. There was no reason to pitch to him there. That decision (along with actually putting Loe in in the first place to face lefties) has likely cost us a game.
You never ever intentionally walk the bases loaded. Especially in a tied or one run game. That forces your pitcher to throw strikes or walk in the winning /tying run. If you don't like the match-up, switch pitchers. No IBB. Terrible strategy. Just because a guy hit a HR doesn't make walking him a better decision. Putting a guy on base because you are afraid of something that has a 5% chance of happening is really really bad strategy.

I blame Wang.

I'm sorry but I completely disagree with this.

1 - technically that's true, one at bat doesn't really mean much for the others, HOWEVER, it can mean that a guy is seeing the ball well or seeing it poorly (take Prince now and Casey now as examples). He just as easily could have struck out or hit a HR but he had been hitting it well all night and has a very high average on the season as well, not to mention a PH was on deck.

2 - walking someone to score a run doesn't really bother me at all. getting a double play or a force at home plate was your best chance to get out of the inning without a run scoring. most teams do well driving runs in with 1 out and a man on third. a bigger inning can result with an intentional walk to load the bases, but you also have the possiblity of getting out of it without any runs scoring whatsoever.

I'm not saying always walk them loaded, but in this case, i think it was definitely the better move, that's without even talking about the HR that he hit.

Archived