Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Wed. 6/8 -- The night games: Brock goes boom again; DSL boys finally fall in an odd contest

I'm not even sure they guy had a bandwagon before this. He should have been the POM, as he outhit Morris. Anyone know how he is in LF?

I thought he was one of the better defensive OF's on the Rattlers the few times I seen him in LF. He runs well, and he's a smooth athlete. The negative I saw with him then is I thought his bat looked slow, but I'm no expert on that. It was 2 years ago, and it's possible he's made swing adjustments since then.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I understand the conversion, but that doesn't change the fact that physically he's mature. He's having an awesome month after a horrid start to the season, but I'm personally not ready to anoint him as anything yet. I have no problem if you really like him, I'm just not convinced. How times have we seen a player have a hot month and fade away to nothing by the end of the year? Fatse was unstoppable to start the season last year and where's he now?
There was an interview with Kjeldgaard the other day and he said that the Brewers roving hitting instructor worked with him for a few days a week or two ago and Brock said his recent success was due to his work with the hitting instructor and the adjustments he had Brock make. I think it was in a Link Report the first or second day of his consecutive 2-HR games.

15 HRs before June 10th for a RH hitter in Brevard is very impressive. Brock is also picking up his walks as his OBP is increasing.

Edit: here's the link: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110605&content_id=20101754&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb

The name of the game is making adjustments - that's the only way you make it to the next level. Looks like Brock is doing that and now seeing the ball better.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wisconsin roughs up Lake County Captains with 14 runs, 20 hits

Written by Tim Froberg, Appleton Post-Crescent

There is a nice photo-gallery at the article link, be sure to check the option to show captions

GRAND CHUTE — Hitting against a knuckleball pitcher is a unique experience that can be exasperating.

When the knuckler is dancing, it's like trying to piece together a moving puzzle.

Tricky stuff? Not for the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers on Wednesday afternoon.

The Timber Rattlers rocked Lake County knuckleballer Steven Wright and pounded a season-high 20 hits in a 14-2 Midwest League rout of the Captains at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium.

It was Wisconsin's highest single-game hit total since Aug. 5, 2007. The 14 runs and four home runs were also season highs.

Wisconsin did most of its damage off Wright, who has been very effective with the knuckleball this season. The right-hander — a second-round pick out of the University of Hawaii in the 2008 First-Year Player Draft — entered the afternoon game with a 1-1 record and a 1.69 ERA. He has a career record of 25-20.

But Wright was no riddle for the Rattlers. Wisconsin collected 12 hits and 11 runs off Wright in 3 1/3 innings.

For most of the Rattlers, it was the first time many had faced a knuckleballer.

"I don't think any of us have," said first baseman Cody Hawn. "I mean, you get guys goofing around in practice throwing them, but you never see it as someone's main pitch. We were joking around that it's just another day in Class A ball. A month ago we saw a guy throwing 102 (Quad Cities' Carlos Martinez) and today we saw a knuckleball guy."

Hawn went two-for-four and hammered a three-run homer to right-center off Wright in the bottom of the fourth. Outfielder T.J. Mittelstaedt also homered off Wright, while Nick Shaw and Chris Dennis added round-trippers off Lake County relievers Nathan Stritz and Dale Dickerson.

"The wind was in his face and that probably affected him," said Hawn. "He seemed to have trouble controlling the knuckleball and it probably didn't move as much for him. It seemed like it was real heavy. A lot of his knuckleballs were dying down and I think the wind kept the ball up on him. On my second at-bat against him, he just painted a couple pitches on me where I was like, 'Man, I couldn't image hitting off (Boston Red Sox knuckleballer) Tim Wakefield.' "

Wisconsin third baseman Greg Hopkins laced a two-run triple off Wright to trigger a six-run first inning and went three-for-five on the day.

"His knuckleball was pretty good and it's the first time I've seen one," said Hopkins. "Against a knuckleballer, they say, 'See it high, let it fly. See it low, let it go.' I tried to see it up in the zone and put a good swing on it. On the ball I hit off the wall (for the triple), he actually jammed me, but I got it up into the air and the wind helped me."

Hopkins has been the Timber Rattlers' hottest hitter in June and extended his hitting streak to eight games. He hit near the bottom of the batting order earlier this season, but has moved into the cleanup spot.

"The past few weeks I've been able to string some solid games together," said Hopkins. "I'm just trying to stay with my approach."

Wisconsin's offensive explosion came less than 24 hours after being blanked 9-0 by Lake County on Tuesday night.

"We needed this," Hawn said. "We've been kind of up and down with the bats."

The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers' Stosh Wawrzasek delivers against the Lake County Captains during their baseball game at Fox Cities Stadium in Grand Chute, WI. on Wednesday, June 8. Photo by Wm. Glasheen/The Post-Crescent

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=U0&Date=20110608&Category=APC0206&ArtNo=106080812&Ref=PH&Item=16&Maxw=640&Maxh=410&q=60

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Chris' post game video and thoughts include a clever Brooks & Dunn reference and this --

The reason for the TBA today instead of Tyler Thornburg is that Thornburg was sent home sick from the stadium each of the last two days. He may not make the start today…Might be Dan Britt…Don’t know yet.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Mat Gamel is hurt by this comment

Mat is a legit DH candidate. He still needs to prove he can play somewhere in the field...

In other news... every time I hear "Brock Kjeldgaard", I think "Brooks Keishnick" and that probably isn't a bad thing. Similar names, power hitters, switched between hitter/pitcher, can't spell either of their last names...

Brewer Fanatic Staff
The Mobile manager must be thrilled about this --

Huntsville Top of the 1st

• Logan Schafer walks.
  • Erik Komatsu strikes out swinging.
  • Sean Halton doubles (12) on a line drive to left fielder Ollie Linton. Logan Schafer scores.
  • Steffan Wilson grounds out, second baseman Jacob Elmore to first baseman Paul Goldschmidt. Sean Halton to 3rd.
  • Mobile BayBears pitcher Wade Miley ejected by 1B umpire Jordan Ferrell.
  • Pitcher Change: Bryan Henry replaces Wade Miley, batting 9th.
  • Angel Gonzalez walks.
  • Anderson De La Rosa singles on a ground ball to center fielder A. J. Pollock. Sean Halton scores. Angel Gonzalez to 2nd.
  • Lee Haydel strikes out swinging.

Cody Scarpetta gave up a two-run HR in the bottom of the inning, baserunner had reached on a Lee Haydel error.

You can read the details on the pitcher ejection in the Mobile newspaper game story.

Mobile BayBears right fielder Marc Krauss (25) is tagged out by Huntsville Stars shortstop Angel Gonzalez after he was caught between third base and home plate during their game at Hank Aaron Stadium in Mobile Wednesday, June 8, 2011. (Press-Register, Bill Starling)

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/9680683-large.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Mat Gamel is hurt by this comment

Mat is a legit DH candidate. He still needs to prove he can play somewhere in the field...

In other news... every time I hear "Brock Kjeldgaard", I think "Brooks Keishnick" and that probably isn't a bad thing. Similar names, power hitters, switched between hitter/pitcher, can't spell either of their last names...

Gamel's issues are with throwing not fielding. He will be more than adequate at 1st and more than likely a big upgrade over Prince defensively.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived