Brewer Fanatic

Aggressive Draft Picks?

Hey, I thought this was worthy of it's own thread.

Usually I follow the draft a bit closer than I have this year, so when someone along the lines of a Scooter Gennett, Thomas Keeling, or a Del Howell is drafted, I have an idea that they're early round talents who fell for a number of reasons.

This year however I haven't followed the draft nearly as close.

Could we keep a running tab of who we drafted that fell because of a strong commitment and/or signability concerns?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This is always one of my favorite areas to look at every year. Although, it seems the Brewers did better with draft-and-follow than with drafting late and over-slot signing.

I don't follow players at all pre-draft, so I have no idea of the answer to this. But knowing the Brewers, I could make an educated guess:

ROUND 16: Carlos Rodon - LHP

ROUND 17: Mario Amaral - C

ROUND 18: Chris McFarland - SS

ROUND 19: Renaldo Jenkins - SS

Just because the late teens is where the Brewers have traditionally gone after these types. And they all are HS grads with commitments to good college programs.

Both of the SS interest me from their profiles, and its not because McFarland looks like Deon Sanders nor because Jenkins looks like Wesley Snipes (or Willie Mays Hayes if you prefer). http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif I've said somewhere before that I'd put money on the Brewers signing one of them, given the lack of SS in the system and in the early rounds of the draft.

Rodon is prob the best out of the bunch and will demand Brooks Hall money (700k or so). Many felt he was a 2-4th round talent. In an article Mass posted I guess the Brewers called him in the 4th round asked him if he'd sign for 250,000 and he said no so they waited on him to the 16th. I think he will be the biggest signing who has a shot to be a big prospect. Plus the fact he is a lefty adds more value to me. They lock him up they could have a really nice young pitching core to follow with Pierce, Lopez, Keller, Rodon, and RJ Johnson (all under 19)

This is always one of my favorite areas to look at every year. Although, it seems the Brewers did better with draft-and-follow than with drafting late and over-slot signing.

I don't follow players at all pre-draft, so I have no idea of the answer to this. But knowing the Brewers, I could make an educated guess:

ROUND 16: Carlos Rodon - LHP

ROUND 17: Mario Amaral - C

ROUND 18: Chris McFarland - SS

ROUND 19: Renaldo Jenkins - SS

Just because the late teens is where the Brewers have traditionally gone after these types. And they all are HS grads with commitments to good college programs.

Both of the SS interest me from their profiles, and its not because McFarland looks like Deon Sanders nor because Jenkins looks like Wesley Snipes (or Willie Mays Hayes if you prefer). http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif I've said somewhere before that I'd put money on the Brewers signing one of them, given the lack of SS in the system and in the early rounds of the draft.

I agree. I always love watching to see what potential top talent we ended up snagging. And it seems that we spend the money and sign those players more often than not. The Brewers do a fantastic job of identifying those who are going to want well over slot and actually delivering.

And the late teens does often seem like the place that those selections are made. Of course you have guys like Brooks Hall(maybe my favorite pitching prospect after we lost Odorizzi) and was it McDaniel(the FSU behemoth) that we grabbed in the 33rd or so last year? Maybe it's just the recent run with Gennett, Keeling, and Howell that is making it seem like that, but it seems to me there have been quite a few more.

I just love this approach to building a team. I'm constantly baffled when small market teams insist on spending 2-3-4 million on a middling journeyman type free agent when an additional 2-3 million in a draft budget can mean signing 7 or 8 Scooter Gennett/Brooks Hall types. One reason why I've been a fan of the way the Pirates have been approaching their drafts in recent years.

Anyway, if Colby or any of the more involved draft guru's can offer any inisght on this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I just love this approach to building a team. I'm constantly baffled when small market teams insist on spending 2-3-4 million on a middling journeyman type free agent when an additional 2-3 million in a draft budget can mean signing 7 or 8 Scooter Gennett/Brooks Hall types. One reason why I've been a fan of the way the Pirates have been approaching their drafts in recent years.

I agree, and I wish the Brewers would do this. Instead they consistently blow millions on FA relievers well spending little on the draft. Gennet and Howell signed for $260 K and weren't overslot signings under the new rules. Hall, Kentrail Davis, and D'Vontrey Richardson were the only recent overslot signings, and they were about $1.3 million overslot combined. Thats it for overslot signings over the last 4 years, and that disappointments me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived