Brewer Fanatic

Odd Draft Pick Question

I don't follow the draft enough to know where to look for this, but can someone tell me all the times the Brewers have picked #5 in the draft? I know Braun was picked there, as was Jenkins, but were there any others? Also, what kind of value are you looking for there? I can't imagine a multi-All Star like Jenkins would be a disappointment with that pick, although you would love to always choose someone like Braun.

Verified Member
Wow, that was a depressing walk through history...

I was surprised how many #5 picks we made, though.

I am just surprised at how few "average" players we've taken in the first round. Almost everybody there is either an All-Star/HOFer or a total flame-out. The only guys on that list who actually played more than 4 years in the League and didn't make an All-Star team were Alex Fernandez, Bill Spiers, Jeff D'Amico, Dion James, Cal Eldred, and Dale Sveum. And that is since 1969!

Here are some more lists.

Brewers 1st Round Picks: MLB June Draft-Secondary Phase

Greg Vaughn (4th overall, 1986) is the only one in that group that made any significant impact as a Major League player. Rob Ellis (3rd overall, 1971) is the answer to a trivia question: he's the only Brewer draftee other than Rickie Weeks to be signed to a Major League contract. Rob also went straight to the big league team before eventually being optioned.

Brewers 1st Round Picks: MLB January Draft-Regular Phase

Brewers 1st Round Picks: MLB January Draft-Secondary Phase

There isn't much to note from the January Regular Phase. From the Secondary Phase list, Lenn Sakata had a career as a reserve infielder that spanned 11 seasons for Milwaukee, Baltimore, Oakland, and the Yankees.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived