Brewer Fanatic

2011-06-07 Mets (Capuano) at Brewers (Marcum) - [Brewers lose, 2-1]

June 07 - 7:10 P.M.

http://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/logos/mets.jpghttp://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/logos/brewers.jpg

28-31

34-26

Pitching Matchup

http://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/pitchers/mets/capuano-01.jpghttp://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/pitchers/brewers/marcum-13.jpg

Chris Capuano

3-6 | 5.19

Capuano is set to face his old team, the Brewers, after spending seven years in their organization. During that time, the left-hander compiled a 4.07 ERA at Miller Park, his home stadium for five big league seasons.

Brewers vs. Capuano
Capuano Game Log

Shaun Marcum

6-2 | 2.78

Late home runs have denied Marcum win No. 7 in his last two starts. Against the Giants on May 27, he surrendered a seventh-inning grand slam. On Wednesday, he exited with a 3-2 lead that the bullpen couldn't hold.

Mets vs. Marcum
Marcum Game Log

Starting Lineups

1. SS Jose Reyes
  2. 3B Justin Turner
  3. RF Carlos Beltran
  4. 1B Daniel Murphy
  5. CF Angel Pagan
  6. LF Jason Bay
  7. C Josh Thole
  8. 2B Ruben Tejada
  9. LHP Chris Capuano

1. 2B Rickie Weeks
  2. RF Corey Hart
  3. LF Ryan Braun
  4. 1B Prince Fielder
  5. 3B Casey McGehee
  6. SS Yuniesky Betancourt
  7. C Jonathan Lucroy
  8. CF Carlos Gomez
  9. RHP Shaun Marcum

Media Coverage

http://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/media/media-fsn.jpg

Brewerfan Game Chat

MLB GameDay 2010 | ESPN GameCast | 620 WTMJ Affiliates

Fan Sites

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm somewhat worried about this series. Mets have been playing slightly better lately. We're on a high after the sweep and could be looking past the Mets to the upcoming Cardinals series. I hope I'm wrong. Need to keep riding the wave here.

We're on a high after the sweep and could be looking past the Mets to the upcoming Cardinals series. I hope I'm wrong. Need to keep riding the wave here.
I think the players learn to temper their highs and lows out of necessity. When a season is 162 games long, you kind of have to. In contrast, many fans WANT to ride the emotional roller coaster of a 162 game season. That's the fun of it all.

As I get older, I find myself enjoying baseball more when I try to remain a little more level headed (no more waking up in the morning and immediately thinking about last night's tough loss). Vegas gives the Brewers about a 2 in 3 chance of winning tonight, so I will remain cautiously optimistic about game 1.

Weeks 4

Hart 9

Braun 7

Fielder 3

McGehee 5

Betancourt 6

Lucroy 2

Gomez 8

Marcum 1

Not much to complain about here other than McGehee still batting 5th. Don't have a huge problem with it given the other options, all are scuffling somewhat at the plate.

I keep expecting the Brewers to come back down to earth a bit but man it seems like they have a favorable pitching matchup virtually every night

It is crazy to think that they haven't lost back to back games since they ended their 7 game losing streak a month ago

The thing about it is, I don't really see any players that need to come back to earth. Maybe our starters a tad, but everyone else is either right around expectatations or below them. Lucroy is the only one I expect to fall off. If anything, guys will revert back towards the mean will actually make us better, as McGehee and Betancourt are significantly below their career numbers.

Verified Member
I keep expecting the Brewers to come back down to earth a bit but man it seems like they have a favorable pitching matchup virtually every night

It is crazy to think that they haven't lost back to back games since they ended their 7 game losing streak a month ago

It only seems like they have a favorable pitching matchup every night because they do have a favorable pitching matchup every night. As hoped, only the Phillies, Braves and Giants have a starting rotation that can match the Brewers 1-5. Of those teams, only the Braves and Phillies have a lineup that can match the Brewers lineup. Even that is questionable, however, when Utley and Chipper are perpetually day-to-day, Heyward is out and Uggla stinks.

Weeks 4

Hart 9

Braun 7

Fielder 3

McGehee 5

Betancourt 6

Lucroy 2

Gomez 8

Marcum 1

Not much to complain about here other than McGehee still batting 5th. Don't have a huge problem with it given the other options, all are scuffling somewhat at the plate.

I think an easy way to get McGehee out the 5 spot is to put Hart 5 and keep both of our CF platoon mates hitting 2nd. Carlos has hit lefties well this year, though his career numbers suggest that's a small sample size fluke. The lineup below is what I would try until McGehee turns things around.

Weeks

Morgan/Gomez

Braun

Fielder

Hart

Lucroy

McGehee

Betancourt

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Community Moderator

I too worry that they will start to slow down a bit but it points to the pitching comments. When you typically have better matchups it treats you good. And we have a pretty darn good starting staff so most of the time the matchups favor us. It's so fun having these starters.....makes me smile.

I too am cool with Casey in there at 5 tonight but I wonder if it would be better to slide him down more for a bit. When Nyjer is in there I think you have to, but in this case it's ok. Hope he figures this out.

There really aren't any players playing way over their heads right now; it just seems that the Brewers have won so many close games recently that they are bound to lose a couple.

Or perhaps they are getting sick of close games and will just decide to beat the crap out of everyone from now on.

This weekend will be a battle of epic proportions; The Brewers and their huge hot streak vs. the Cardinals and Jaime Garcia, Kyle Lohse, Allen Craig, Ryan Theriot, Lance Berkman, and John Jay (You know the players that all of a sudden are world beaters)

Weeks 4

Hart 9

Braun 7

Fielder 3

McGehee 5

Betancourt 6

Lucroy 2

Gomez 8

Marcum 1

I think an easy way to get McGehee out the 5 spot is to put Hart 5 and keep both of our CF platoon mates hitting 2nd. Carlos has hit lefties well this year, though his career numbers suggest that's a small sample size fluke. The lineup below is what I would try until McGehee turns things around.

Weeks

Morgan/Gomez

Braun

Fielder

Hart

Lucroy

McGehee

Betancourt

This is what I would do. I think it's a pretty good lineup for right now. I hope Roenicke goes with it soon. It's ridiculous that McGehee and Betancourt are both hitting in front of Lucroy right now. They could at least fix that part of it.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Community Moderator

I get the sense that this team is capable of playing .600 ball the rest of the way. I'm sure the poor defense and mediocre bullpen will cost them a few games, but overall there's no reason why they can't keep winning if the starting pitching continues to dominate. The hot streak started right when Hart and Greinke got back and it appears that those two pieces put them over the top.

Good times are back in Milwaukee.

Another ex brewer, JJ Hardy, is hitting leadoff tonight for the first time in his career. I wonder if there is any chance we bring him back or whether or not he hates us for dumping him.

That may set a record for slowest human to ever bat leadoff. If we played them in interleague we could match them by having Casey or Prince hit first for us...or maybe one of the racing sausages.

Archived