Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Tue. 6/7 -- Sounds, Stars, Rattlers all fall; 16-year-old DSL SS Orlando Arcia is the real # 1 draft pick

Final: Lake County 9, @Wisconsin 0

Lake County shuts out Rattlers 9-0

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

GRAND CHUTE, WI - This wasn't the way the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

wanted to start their final homestand of the first half. Steve

Goodnight and two Lake County relievers tossed a 9-0 shutout and held

the Timber Rattlers to six hits Tuesday night at Time Warner Cable

Field. Plus, Wisconsin lost ground in the Western Division playoff

chase.

Ronny Rodriguez broke the scoreless tie with a leadoff home run for the Captains (27-31) in the top of the fourth inning.

Rattlers starting pitcher Jimmy Nelson retired the first two Lake County

batters he faced in the top of the fifth. Then, Nick Bartolone

singled. Nelson walked the next two batters to load the bases.

Rodriguez kept the inning going with a two-run single to left. Carlos

Moncrie followed with an RBI single. An error on the play allowed

Rodriguez to take third base. A wild pitch by Nelson let Rodriguez

score the fourth run of the inning and the Captains were up 5-0.

Goodnight pitched six innings, allowed three hits, walked one, and

struck out four to put himself in a position to win his third straight

decision. Wisconsin (30-28) had two runners on base in the same inning

one time against Goodnight. But, Goodnight escaped harm with a 4-6-3

double play in the bottom of the fourth.

Lake County put the game away in the late innings. They scored two

unearned runs in the eighth inning. Rodriguez tripled to start the

inning. Alex Monsalve was walked intentionally with one out, but

Rodriguez scored and Monsalve took second on a passed ball. Monsalve

took third on an errant pickoff throw by Charly Bashara and scored when

Reggie Keen overran the ball in center. Those were two of the four

errors committed by the Rattlers in the game.

The Captains put two more runs on the board in the ninth on a two run triple by Brent Heere to account for the 9-0 final.

Wisconsin's playoff hopes took a hit as well. Burlington, the Western

Division leaders, won their game against South Bend 6-3 and the Rattlers

are now 9-1/2 games out in the division race. Quad Cities, the leaders

in the race for the Western Division Wild Card race, defeated Lansing

5-3. The Rattlers trail Quad Cities by two games for the Wild Card.

Wisconsin has twelve games remaining in their season.

Game two of the series is Wednesday afternoon at 12:05pm. Wednesday is

an AMERICAN TV Win-It Wednesday with a Baker Tilly Business Person's

Special. Every fan aged 16 and older will receive a scratch-off ticket

and every ticket is a winner with prizes from the Timber Rattlers and

American TV of Appleton. The Baker Tilly Business Person's Special is a

box seat ticket, a beverage, and a brat or hot dog for $11.50 and a

business card. Senior citizens may also take advantage of this deal.

Wednesday is also a 'School's Out Day' where kids can come out and

receive a free meal, enjoy complimentary inflatable games and play free

at the Kids Zone.

Plus, Matt Bailey, a member of the cast of Jersey Boys, currently

playing at the Fox Cities PAC, will be on hand to sing the national

anthem.

The Rattlers are sending Jameson Dunn (1-0, 1.02) to the hill as the

starting pitcher. The Captains have Steven Wright (1-1, 1.69) as their

scheduled starter. Game time is 12:05pm.

If you can't make it out to the game, tune in for the broadcast on

AM1280, WNAM or timberrattlers.com starting with the Miller Lite Pregame

Show at 11:45am.

HOME RUN:

LC:

Ronny Rodriguez (2nd, 0 on in 4th, off Jimmy Nelson, 0 out)

WP: Mike Goodnight (5-3)

LP: Jimmy Nelson (1-6)

TIME: 2:31

ATTN: 3,430

Wisconsin Box Score

Nick Shaw was 1-3 with a walk. Greg Hopkins, Mike Walker, T.J. Mittelstaedt, Tyler Roberts, & Yadiel Rivera each had a single. That was it, for offense. Roberts, Mittelstaedt, & Keen each made errors.

Nelson went seven innings, but nothing else about his final line was particularly impressive: 7 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 5 K. RP Charly Bashara had a rough night, allowing four runs/two earned runs in one inning of work... an inning which saw him throw away a pickoff attempt for an error. RP Thomas Keeling recorded three straight outs after taking over for Bashara in the 9th.

Wisconsin Play-by-Play

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I just realized that Gindl is still only 22. It seems like he has been in the system for so long I figured he was older than that.

I didn't realize he was that young myself.

Anyway, I've long been a huge fan of Green. Again, I think the Brewers have a real chance here in the next year to revamp the identity of this team.

With Prince set to become a FA, and Green and Gamel potentially taking over at 1st and 3rd, you could become a much-much better defensive team and have a much more balanced attack Adding two lefties, and two guys who should be substantial improvements defensively could help out this pitching staff a ton and make up for the loss of Prince. Add to that the potential to go out and pick up a SS with the money saved from Prince and we could actually become a good defensive team next year Marco Scutaro is one guy who should come pretty cheap and can still pick it. Rafael Furcal is a question mark with regard to injuries, but may be worth it on a 2/20 type contract. He could also give us a nice leadoff hitter. Jamie Carroll is a older guy, but again, one who still has some short term value.

Furcal is actually my favorite with maybe a Jack Wilson type as a utility IF'er to provide some protection. Perhaps 2/22 or so on Furcal and 2/5 on Wilson?

Lineup of (Switch hitter in italics, Lefty in bold)

Furcal SS

Morgan CF

Braun LF

Gamel 1B

Weeks 2B

Green 3B/McGehee(Platoon)

Hart RF

Lucroy C

That lineup and that team could very easily eclipse the production of this years lineup when defense is factored in, and it wouldn't cost much. In this scenario, you're saving 4.25 million with the difference from Prince to Furcal. And of course you lose that huge stud in the middle of your order, but you have literally an entire lineup that could very realistically carry OBP's of .350 or better. A bench of Jack Wilson/Jamie Carroll/McGehee(or Green), Gindl, Gomez and Kottaras.

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves(which I've already done), but the prospect of Taylor Green being our 3rd basemen is a very enticing proposition.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

As playoff push begins, Wisconsin Timber Rattlers get pushed around

by Mike Woods, Appleton Post-Crescent

GRAND CHUTE — This was supposed to be the start of the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers' playoff push.

But Tuesday on Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium, the Rattlers just got pushed around by Lake County as they suffered a costly 9-0 loss in Midwest League play.

Rattlers manager Matt Erickson didn't mince words when assessing his team's play.

"We played like horse crap tonight," he said. "That was, I think, all around the worst ballgame we've played all season."

With 12 games to play in the first half, the Rattlers remain tied with Peoria in the standings and are two games behind Quad Cities for the final playoff spot.

The Rattlers committed four errors on the night, managed just six hits and had a decent outing going from struggling starter Jimmy Nelson (1-6) until the sixth when, after setting down the first two hitters, gave up two walks, three singles and four runs.

Also mixed in were a wild pitch and an error.

"It's very disappointing," said center fielder Reggie Keen. "We came out lackadaisical, nonchalant, didn't make plays. Four errors tonight, left some guys on base.

"We really need to focus on making the playoffs. That's what they've been stressing to us the past couple weeks. Everybody here wants to make the playoffs, but we can't come out and play like that.''

It was certainly mystifying to Erickson who, after seeing his team win its final two games on its lengthy 13-game road trip, was expecting a far better effort.

"We put ourselves, with the body of work we've done through this first half, to be in a pretty good situation for a playoff run here in the next two weeks," he said. "Tonight it was frustrating because there didn't seem like a sense of urgency.

"I was excited. We had played well at home recently. We've been pretty good here. We had a good workday today. Everything in our preparation leading up to the game. I thought, was good and we laid an egg. No doubt about it."

After what could only be termed an embarrassing performance, the Rattlers are eager to make amends. And if they are to stay in the playoff chase, they must.

"We were all excited to come back home and play in front of the home crowd and we were just lazy tonight," said Keen. "I guess it happens sometimes in baseball, but it won't happen the next couple of nights, I can bet on that. We're going to come out and play hard."

Erickson also believed his team would turn things around, but not before some extra work before today's noon start.

"But that's the beauty of the game of baseball," said Erickson. "We get to show up here tomorrow and prove that that's not our team."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Lee Haydel now with only seven steals in 16 attempts. Ouch.

Huntsville's Lee Haydel is caught stealing as Mobile shortstop Taylor Harbin makes the second inning tag Tuesday June 7, 2011 at Hank Aaron Stadium. (Press-Register Photo, Chip English)

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/9676564-large.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Time for a nickname.

Orlando "The Pirate/El Pirata" Arrr-cia

El Pirata works for me unless someone can think of something better.

Arcia doesn't translate into English and the only Google reference that seemed like fun is a WoW character named Arcia. But that character was a woman...although she did carry two guns which is pretty cool.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The New Orleans camera"work" is just... special

Behind the firewall, I can't see this one, but if its anything like the other night, they might as well, just put cameras in fixed locations and zoomed out to see the whole stadium. My 5 year old with a camcorder could do better.

Archived