Brewer Fanatic

Brewers starters: currently on a pace for 72 wins

So I knew Yo had 8 and Marcum had 6 wins so I looked at our starters this season and saw we have 25 wins among them. That means we are on pace to have our starters win between 68 and 69 games this season. I don't know where to find the answer, other than going through and counting... but when was the last time we came close to a number like that for a season?

2010 - 52 (5 teams had 70+)

2009 - 55 (1 team had 70)

2008 - 59 (3 teams had 70+)

2007 - 60 (3 teams had 70+)

Before that we never hit 60 for a bunch of years. Just for fun I looked at 1982 and we led the league with 76 that year.

• 3 weeks later...
Verified Member

That's a tough one. Both Gallardo and Marcum have that Game 7 Jack Morris/John Smoltz type of attitude about them that I really like in those kind of situations. You never really know though about that kind of thing, though. Greinke has the best stuff, so if he is sharp in his previous outings at the time it's hard to go against him too.

Assuming that all are pitching well though, I think I'd have to go with Gallardo due to his hitting prowess http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

If you're in Game 7 and you could pick any one of our starters who would you pick to start the game, your RR and you can only pick 1, assume everyone is fully rested.
I'd say Marcum.

However, if Grienke gets hot in the end of the season, or was dominant in the playoffs, I'd choose him. The truth is, I'd probably support Yo for game 7 if he had a 0.5 ERA in the postseason. I guess I ride the hot hand. Right now, it's Marcum.

Great question...I'd probably go with Marcum, which is amazing. True bulldog pitcher.

Gallardo scares me in a Game 7 for some reason. I think is solely based off of Yo's struggles in Boston last week and that a Game 7 would likely be against a Boston or Philadelphia type team.

Greinke has been great but his inability to hold early leads (even though they have won most of those games) would worry me in a Game 7 type game.

Any of the three would be fine to be honest. But on June 28, I pick Marcum.

Community Moderator

Tough call since they are all righties. I'll take Gallardo in Milwaukee. If the game is in Philly, it might be better to go with Greinke because of his high K/BB rate. Marcum is probably the best choice without knowing any specific situation.

The lack of big game experience is a concern, especially in a potential NLCS vs. Philadelphia. The Brewers would need to take care of their 3 at home in that series and hope for some luck on the road.

It's a great dilemma to be in, for sure. The best part is, I wouldn't dread Wolf starting it either. He's been awfully good. Being a game 7, there would be a little time off afterwards, so I wouldn't mind using a combination of starters as dlk9s suggests. Maybe not set innings, but a quick hook with the next starter as relief. I loved it when AZ used Schilling/Johnson in a single game.

Archived