Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 21-50 -- Latest: 26th-rounder Josh Smith

UWM Panthers

MILWAUKEE - Senior Chad Pierce of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee baseball team has been selected in the 38th round of the Major League Baseball Draft today by the Milwaukee Brewers.

Pierce, who was named the Horizon League Pitcher of the Year in 2011, becomes the first Panther to be chosen in the MLB Draft since 2006.

"It's a dream come true," Pierce said. "Ever since I was a little kid, it's been a dream to play professionally. This is just one step, but, you get the chance. This whole year I talked with Coach Doffek and Coach Bigler on how I wanted a chance. It's a great honor that they are giving me the opportunity to keep playing baseball. It's awesome that it was the Brewers. You grow up watching them on TV and then get drafted by the team you love and root for every day - that makes it even sweeter."

Pierce, the league newcomer of the year in 2010, put together impressive totals that all ranked among the league leaders. He finished 6-4 with a 3.21 ERA, striking out 82 batters in 101.0 innings of work while allowing opponents to bat just .236 on the year. He ranked third in the league in ERA, victories, strikeouts and innings pitched. In league play he was unbeatable, posting a 5-0 mark in eight starts, which included a pair of nine-inning no-decisions. Against league foes, he struck out 49 batters in 60.1 innings, giving up just 50 hits with an ERA of 2.39.

"This is certainly well-deserved for Chad," UWM head coach Scott Doffek said. "He has been a hard worker since the day he got here and is the ultimate teammate. I could not be happier for him. I think Chad will be successful at whatever he does. Since this is his next endeavor, I am sure that he will put everything he has in to it and will no doubt find a way to impress the organization."

Pierce becomes the 16th different UWM player to be drafted in the history of the program. The last, Mike Goetz, was tabbed in the 25th round of the 2006 draft, also by the Brewers.

"I started getting recruited my junior year in high school and you kind of start thinking that maybe this could happen," Pierce, a native of Fond du Lac, Wis., said. "My first four years of college, it never worked out. And this year, it was up in the air. Being a fifth-year guy, I knew it would be in the late rounds if I did get drafted. It's one of the best days of my life right now - just to have that opportunity to continue to play baseball."

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Audrey Snyder/MLB.com

MILWAUKEE -- Signability might be a term third baseman Trent Boras heard a lot growing up.

The USC commit, the son of agent Scott Boras, was selected by the Brewers in the 30th round of Tuesday's MLB Draft. Scott Boras represents several high-profile MLB players, including Brewers first baseman Prince Fielder, who is expected to explore free agency this offseason.

Brewers amateur scouting director Bruce Seid said he anticipates Trent will attend USC, but Seid didn't hold back when asked about the third baseman's ability. The prep prospect didn't attend Milwaukee's pre-Draft workout, but the two sides are very familiar with one another.

"He's played on our area code team, which is a high-profile team in California," Seid said. "He played third base for us, he played on our Fall team and Trent is a good player. Trent's going to USC to play baseball right now, and you know he's a left-handed hitter who makes contact, he's pretty good with the glove at third base. Just like any high school kid, he's got to develop. Trent will be playing professional baseball -- if not this year, definitely in years to come."

Boras' other son and USC infielder, Shane, was also in the Draft but has not yet been selected. Shane is a red-shirt sophomore who was drafted in the 35th round by the Cardinals in 2008 before opting to attend college.

"It's a good relationship we have with not only Scott and his organization, but being in Southern California, he's a big part of the Southern California baseball scene," Seid said. "He's out watching ball games and he's an easy guy to get to know to."

Audrey Snyder/MLB.com

MILWAUKEE -- David Lucroy ran out of the dugout to tell his father, Steve, a brief message.

The younger Lucroy took the cellphone out of his back pocket and showed his dad proof that the one scenario the family spoke about came true. David, a right-handed pitcher, was selected by the Brewers in the 29th round of the First-Year Player Draft, meaning he could one day play alongside his older brother, Milwaukee catcher Jonathan Lucroy.

"We had been talking about if there was any chance that would happen," Steve said. "David had a pre-Draft workout up there in Milwaukee last week, and I guess they liked what they saw. It's hard to believe I have one kid up there playing let alone another one who got picked, so we're just blessed."

David graduated from Umatilla High School in Florida, and the Lucroys are faced with a difficult decision. The family is in uncharted territory, as David committed to East Carolina and will now weigh the pros and cons of attending college or entering into the Brewers' farm system.

The news didn't reach Jonathan Lucroy until the sixth inning, when the Brewers heard the television crew talking about the selection on a TV in the clubhouse. Word spread to pitching coach Rick Kranitz, who then told Jonathan.

"It's pretty amazing -- the thought that one day, maybe, if he decides to sign, that I'll get to catch him," Jonathan Lucroy said. "It's cool for him. I know he used to come to all of my games when he was younger, and I haven't gotten to go to his because I've been playing college and pro ball. He's got a lot of potential. He works a lot harder than a lot of guys, I know that. He's really locked in and focused for a guy his age. He's a lot bigger than me, that's for sure. He can't hit anything, but he can throw it a mile."

Brewers amateur scouting director Bruce Seid said the younger Lucroy impressed at the Brewers' pre-Draft workout also noted the size difference between the brothers. David is 6-foot-3, 198 pounds, and Seid said the pitcher's broad shoulders were a noticeable difference from the 6-foot catcher's.

Steve said the family was fortunate that they didn't have to make this decision with Jonathan, who attended the University of Louisiana-Lafayette before being selected by the Brewers in the third round of the 2007 Draft.

"It's a pretty good scholarship offer he has at East Carolina, but it's a decision we're going to sit down and have as an entire family," Steve said. "Even Jonathan, I'll let him in on that, since I'm not sure what David is going to do."

The older brother wasn't sure which way he'd advise his brother to go.

"We have to weigh all of our options and see what he wants to do," Jonathan said. "He's going to have to be patient. It's a tough call. It's an education, college. I didn't have to worry about this situation when I came out of high school, so it's kind of uncharted territory [for the family]. It's going to be pretty interesting."

Though the family isn't sure when they will figure out what David's future entails, Steve was certain about one thing: It's a good problem to have.

"It's a decision a lot of kids and a lot of families wish they were in," Steve said. "I'm still in shock that I have one son up there, so we'll just see what happens and weigh all the options."

Renaldo Dorsett/The (Bahamas) Tribune

SHORTLY after being drafted into the major leagues, the latest member of the elite group of Bahamians to achieve the honour called it the culmination of a life-long dream.

Nova Southeastern Sharks pitcher Sean Albury was selected by the Milwaukee Brewers with the 941st overall pick in the 31st round of the Major League Baseball Draft First-Year Player.

Albury said after the anxiety of monitoring two days of draft coverage, hearing his name called as a selection came as a relief.

"The second day came around...I thought that was going to be my day but unfortunately that didn't happen. Then the third day came around...right when it started my name got called and it felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders," he said.

"It felt amazing and I felt like I reached the point where I could do what I've always wanted to do. It took a lot of hard work and dedication but I made it and I'm very excited about it."

Right-hand ace Albury finished his senior season with a 7-2 win/loss record and a 2.08 ERA.

The 22-year-old was named to the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) All-South Region Team and was also named as a member of the (ABCA) American Baseball Coaches Association All-South Region teams.

He was one of a class of 24 pitchers chosen by the Brewers over the course of the draft which included seven left-handed pitchers and 17 right- handed pitchers.

"When they started taking pitcher after pitcher after pitcher, I starting thinking to myself there is still hope, there is still a lot of teams out there that haven't taken a pitcher. Right before the draft, my coach told me the scout from the Brewers liked me and he was pretty sure he would be picking me up. After seeing so many pitchers taken, naturally I had my doubts but soon enough I got picked up," Albury said.

"(The organisation's) message to me was that we wouldn't have drafted you if we didn't think you were going to be in the big leagues one day. We see you as one of our top prospects later on in the future. They told me to just keep doing hard work because I had been working hard my whole life and now they expect me to keep going even harder to reach the next level in my progression," Albury added.

His focus now shifts to a minor league career which begins in Helena, Montana, in short season Little A baseball, after which the natural progression is to High A, Double A, Triple A and onto the Major Leagues.

Consistency

"One of the things I have to work on is my consistency, particularly my command on my off- speed pitches. I have a lot of confidence in my fastball. I just have to be more consistent with my change up and my curve ball," Albury said. "Those will be the key to keeping batters off balanced and switching up my game."

Albury closed out a star-studded career as one of the Sharks' major contributors on the mound.

In his junior year, Albury earned NCBWA and ABCA/Rawlings Second Team All-America honours, was named first-team All-Sunshine State Conference, and was also selected to the Daktronics first-team all-region, first-team NCBWA all-region and ABCA/Rawlings first-team all-region.

He allowed just two runs in 23 and one third innings pitched for a 0.77 ERA. He struck out 37 batters and gave up just a .134 batting average with a 2-1 record and 10 saves in 20 appearances.

Albury finished with 10 saves and 16 consecutive scoreless outings.

• 1 month later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

46th round SS Ahmad Christian, the Florida high schooler, won't be signing with the Brewers:

From the University of South Carolina's Rivals site:

Shon Carson (Reds, 44th round) and Ahmad Christian each signed football scholarships to play at USC, and began classes today (July 5th) as well. Each expressed an interest in walking on to the baseball team, and that option is always there, but perhaps not very likely.

While the two are on campus (each was drafted, but very low, and as stated above, being at USC seems to be pretty indicative of what they're going to do), they'll be doing football work first and second with baseball a distant third. Because the two are on football scholarships, they would have to walk on to the baseball team, and that creates a potential problem.

Walk-on spots for baseball are determined during fall and spring practice, much of it from the fall. Carson and Christian will be with the football team all fall and won't be able to show up at baseball practice. It doesn't seem logical that Ray Tanner would hold one of the precious eight walk-on spots for a player that couldn't make it on the field in the fall, unless it was a prodigious talent that couldn't be ignored. While it may happen, the solid bet is each playing football unless something unforeseen (injury, redshirt, etc.) happens.

• 2 weeks later...
Nick Beardi/Daily Commercial

Baseball runs in the Lucroys' genes. The Umatilla family has three successful sons, two of whom are pursuing their dream while the other already has reached the pinnacle.

Jonathan Lucroy is the starting catcher for the Milwaukee Brewers. Just a few years removed from a standout season in the Florida Collegiate Summer League, Jonathan and his teammates are fighting for supremacy in the NL Central division. Lucroy is batting an impressive .282 in a potent lineup that includes perennial all-stars Prince Fielder, Ryan Braun and Rickie Weeks.

Jonathan's younger brother, David, is a pitcher for the Leesburg Lightning and at 18 is spending his final summer after high school playing against collegiate stars. Lucroy and Orlando Freedom pitcher Garrett Nuss are the only two high school players in the FCSL and their play thus far has justified their presence.

"Seeing him have success really drove me to want to do that with my life," said David of his older brother.

In June, David was drafted in the 29th round, coincidentally by the Brewers. "Exciting" was the word Lucroy used to describe getting that phone call. He said he was surprised that of all the teams, it was a Milwaukee area code that popped up on his phone that day.

Despite the honor of being drafted, Lucroy will attend East Carolina University in the fall. "You know when you go to a place and you know it's just right for you? That's what I had there," said Lucroy who also acknowledged the coaching staff at ECU had a lot to do with his decision. "I'm absolutely looking forward to it," he said.

Lucroy finished at 10-5 in his high school career with 84 strikeous. He also went 6-1 with a 2.62 ERA in an East Coast Professional Showcase. In eight appearances this season for the Lightning, Lucroy has an impressive 2.63 ERA over 13.2 innings pitched. He has a 1-1 record with 14 strikeouts.

He hasn't performed the way he knows he can but says that he's starting to come around and his last few outings show proof. In his Tuesday night appearance, he struck out the side on 12 pitches, blowing away all three hitters with hard heat.

David explained that if he's having any pitching troubles, he'll shoot his brother a text message asking for help on a certain pitch. He can't think of anyone better to ask then the signal caller for a team that boasts 2009 AL Cy Young Award Winner Zack Greinke as well as Shaun Marcum and newcomer Francisco Rodriguez.

With his team currently in first place in the FCSL, Lucroy has enjoyed pitching in front of the Leesburg faithful. "They all love us here, it's pretty cool," said David, who confessed that he's never played before such a loyal audience.

Lucroy also explained that the Lightning coaching staff has everything to do with the team's success.

"The coaches are serious about the game, but me and the other guys have a good time around them," David said.

While both brothers' teams are fighting for playoff spots, only one's highlights will be shown on SportsCenter the next morning. But David hopes to join his big brother one day soon.

Time will determine the fate of this local prospect, but if and when he makes the show, he'll remember how he got there: With some hometown support and some brotherly love.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

for a team that boasts 2009 AL Cy Young Award Winner Zack Greinke as well as Shaun Marcum and newcomer Francisco Rodriguez.

Kind of a slam in leaving out Gallardo...

Well, at least we didn't draft him in the 8th round. Losing little brother Weeks really stunk. How great would he look now, taking his brothers' spot at 2B?

• 3 weeks later...
The area's three baseball draftees, with the signing deadline looming tonight, said Sunday they're headed to college and have ended negotiations with the teams that picked them.
Jeff Davis' D.J. Jones, a 22nd-round pick of the Milwaukee Brewers, moved Sunday and begins class Aug. 22 at Hillsborough Community College in Tampa, Fla. The outfielder can be drafted again next year.

Archived