Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 21-50 -- Latest: 26th-rounder Josh Smith

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Pair of Fond du Lac High School Cards drafted, Chad Pierce by Brewers

by Doug Whiteley, Fond du Lac Reporter

Two former Fond du Lac High School baseball players were drafted in the 2011 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft that started Monday and concluded Wednesday.

Sam Munson, a 2008 Fondy grad, went Tuesday to the Atlanta Braves, and Chad Pierce, an '06 Fondy grad got picked Wednesday by the Milwaukee Brewers.

The Brewers picked Pierce in the 38th round with the 1,151st pick.

"I was watching the draft all day," Pierce said. "I stepped out of my apartment and my brother called me. The first thing he says is, 'Congrats,' and I said, 'For what?' He said, 'You got picked by the Brewers.' "

Pierce, a 6-1, 215-pound right-handed pitcher was the ace of the staff at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee this season.

He wasn't necessarily surprised that the Brewers selected him after he threw for their scouts last week at a pre-draft workout.

"I threw pretty well there," he said, adding that he expects to be contacted in the next couple of days about where to report for assignment. "I think I made a good last-minute impression and figured if I was going to go it probably would be to the Brewers."

He finished 6-4 with a 3.21 ERA, striking out 82 in just over 100 innings of work. He allowed opponents to hit just .236 on the season. He ranked third in the Horizon league in ERA, victories, strikeouts and innings pitched. In league play, he went 5-0 in eight starts with an ERA of 2.39.

He was named the league's pitcher of the year this year and the newcomer of the year in 2010 when he led the Panthers during their run to the Horizon League Tournament title and berth in the NCAA Division I tournament.

Pierce went to the University of Arkansas out of Fondy before transferring back to UWM.

The stories of life playing through the minor leagues usually sound more dull than thrilling from those who tell the tales, but Pierce said he's ready to take on the challenge.

"I'm definitely ready," he said. "Here in Milwaukee we made those long bus trips. We don't play everyday (like a minor-league schedule), but it's something you never really get used to. For me, since you were a little kid you've always wanted to play baseball, so you have to run with it. You get a chance to play every day, so you can't really complain."

Pierce said he knows it will be difficult, but whether he plays one year or several years, he said he's honored to have been selected and will always remember the day he got drafted.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Milwaukee Brewers Draft Mike Francisco in 48th Round of MLB DraftVillanova reliever is drafted for second consecutive season

VILLANOVA, Pa. - For the second straight season Villanova LH reliever Mike Francisco (Newtown Square, Pa.) had his name called during the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft. Francisco was chosen in the 48th round of the 2011 draft on Wednesday by the Milwaukee Brewers, becoming the first player ever from Villanova to be selected by the Brewers organization.

"Mike is only the seventh player from Villanova to be selected twice in the draft and he is the first from our program taken by the Brewers," Villanova head coach Joe Godri said. "I am extremely happy for Mike. He has a power arm and, with velocity in the 88-92 range and an imposing frame at 6-foot-4, there is no question that he can be successful at the next level."

Francisco was the Wildcats top reliever for the last three seasons and graduated last month as the program's all-time leader in appearances and saves. He was also drafted last season by the Philadelphia Phillies and chose to return to school and complete his degree in Marketing from the Villanova School of Business.

As a senior this year Francisco pitched in 25 games out of the bullpen for the second straight season for Villanova, racking up nine saves while holding opponents to a career low .229 batting average against him. Francisco logged 30.0 innings pitched and allowed only 25 hits while striking out 35. His nine saves in 2011 match the second-highest single-season total in the history of the program and his 20 career saves are a Wildcats record.

For his collegiate career Francisco pitched in a school-record 82 games and added five wins to his save total while pitching exactly 100.0 career innings. Francisco is one of the very few relievers in school history with over 100 career strikeouts, as he finished with 105 to just 95 hits allowed (.253 opponent batting average).

"Mike projects as a setup man or a closer at the professional level," Godri said. "The great thing for Mike is that he now has an opportunity to develop his secondary pitches as a pro. He worked on those pitches in practice at Villanova but the nature of being a closer is that when you get into the game you have to stick to your strength. Mike's strength is working his fastball to both sides of the plate."

This year marked the eighth time in the last ten MLB drafts that Villanova had multiple players selected. Yesterday in the fourth round of the First-Year Player Draft right-handed pitcher Kyle McMyne was chosen by the Cincinnati Reds. The Wildcats have had a top-five round draft pick in each of the last two drafts and five times overall since 2000.

Since the inception of the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft in 1965, the Villanova program has had 54 players drafted a total of 62 times, 34 of those 62 picks being used on pitchers.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nova/sports/m-basebl/auto_action/6583702.jpeg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Villanova lefthander Francisco selected by Brewers

By TED SILARY, phillynews.com

When doesn't the baseball draft work in mysterious ways?

Beginning at roughly 10:30 yesterday morning, Villanova lefthander Mike Francisco spoke and/or exchanged text messages with a half-dozen major league organizations.

Mindful that Francisco, a product of Malvern Prep, had not signed last year after being selected by the Phillies in the 45th round, the teams "were trying to see whether I still wanted to play pro ball."

Then, toward the latter part of the afternoon, while he was speaking on the phone with 'Nova coach Joe Godri, Francisco received a text from a Mets scout, who indicated his franchise would take him with the very next pick (No. 1,452 overall) in the 48th round.

"Very cool," Francisco thought.

Another text followed shortly thereafter. Same guy.

"You just got picked by somebody else."

"I didn't even know who it was," Francisco said, laughing. "I had to go online to find out. When I saw it was the Milwaukee Brewers . . . Pretty surprising. I hadn't talked to them all year."

The 6-4, 225-pound Francisco, a reliever, this season went 2-3 with nine saves and a 3.60 ERA.

"I'm fully thankful to be getting another chance at pro ball," he said. "The Phillies saw me last year [in a New England summer league] and talked to me a number of times, but the [money] numbers weren't close to keeping me from returning to finish up my degree [marketing].

"I was thinking maybe I could go a little higher this time, but all I wanted was another opportunity and I got it. I'm very excited."

When asked for his feelings about the fact that his pro career won't start with his hometown team, as it could have, Francisco said, "Ah, there's still that possibility in the future, right? At least I'll always be able to say my hometown team drafted me once, even if it wasn't in the year when I signed."

Francisco said he expects to reach terms quickly and begin his career with a low-level affiliate in Arizona or Montana.

NOTE: A 49th round LH reliever, Daniel Meadows, is doing just fine, thank you very much. -- Jim

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Football player Ahmad Christian has baseball offer

By Hays Carlyon, The Florida Times-Union (Jacksonville)

Trinity Christian's Ahmad Christian has a decision to make, but he's fairly certain which way he's leaning.

The dual-sport standout has already signed to play football at South Carolina as a defensive back. Now, the Gamecocks have some competition for Christian's services.

The Milwaukee Brewers chose Christian in the 46th round during the final day of the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft on Wednesday.

"It's an either-or situation for me," Christian said. "I do have some time to think about it, because I don't report to South Carolina until later this summer. Still, there's a good chance I'm going to still go to South Carolina."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

45th round SS Adrian Williams out of UCLA --

Williams batted .206 in 20 games, including nine starts at shortstop for UCLA in 2011. He went 7-for-34 on the season with four runs, one RBI and two stolen bases in three attempts. In three seasons at UCLA, Williams has batted .231 with one double, two RBI and 10 runs.

Must be something there, dang.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

By Jim Parker, The Windsor (Ontario, Canada) Star

The game of baseball will now become a business for three members of the Windsor Selects under-18 team.

After two days of watching and waiting, right-hander Skylar Janisse, outfielder Steve Adam and right-hander Andrew Marra were selected in Wednesday's third and final day of the 50-round Major League Baseball Draft.

Janisse went in the 34th round to the New York Yankees. The Milwaukee Brewers took Adam in the 44th round and the New York Mets grabbed Marra in the 45th round.

"Adam, who is also weighing scholarship offers, was thrilled to have his name called by the Brewers.

"I wanted to be drafted and get my name out there," the five-foot-11, 170-pound Adam said.

Milwaukee general manager Doug Melvin is from Chatham and the Brewers have looked to the area in recent grabbing Chris Dennis in 2006 and Joel Pierce last year.

"Now, it's the question (of signing) I have to ask myself," the 18-year-old Adam said.

"Is the money enough to live off the next few years? It's a family decision we'll have to make."

Adam, an outfielder from Tecumseh, is considered one of the fastest players in the country.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

As Tom Haudricourt among others noted --

The Brewers also made a couple of picks with organizational ties. Shortstop Caleb Whalen (42nd round, a Washington State high school) is the son of northwest area scout Shawn Whalen, and second baseman David (better known as "Gant") Elmore (49th round, Yale) is the son of Helena Brewers owner D.G. Elmore.

Whalen has also signed a letter of intent to play next year at the University of Portland.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Glenwood's Keaton Aldridge picked by Brewers

By Chris White, Columbus (GA) Ledger-Enquirer

Glenwood catcher Keaton Aldridge was selected by the Milwaukee Brewers with the 1,211 pick in the 40th round of the Major League Baseball Draft on Wednesday.

In his two seasons at Glenwood, Aldridge led the Gators to two AISA AAA state championships and was the MVP in this year's title series.

The catcher, who has already signed to play at Memphis in the fall, batted .552 this season with 80 hits, 57 RBIs and an on-base percentage of .635.

Glenwood head coach Tim Fanning said following the selection that Aldridge will most likely still attend Memphis in the fall, but that the Brewers will be sending a national cross checker out to California — where Aldridge is playing summer baseball — for the next few weeks and then most likely make him an offer.

From March 9th -- Memphis likes what it's getting in Aldridge

Photo Credit: Vasha Hunt | Opelika-Auburn News

http://www2.oanow.com/mgmedia/image/294/0/212042/glenwood-keaton-aldridge/

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Elon reliever ends up in good place as draftee

Bob Sutton / Burlington (NC) Times-News

Baseball’s amateur draft for Mitch Conner went just about how his time at Elon University unfolded.

He wasn’t sure how it would go, but it all worked out pretty well.

Conner, who emerged as the bullpen closer as a senior, was selected by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 36th round Wednesday.

“It has been a new experience for me because I had never been drafted before,” Conner said. “Not knowing how things were going to go. It’s pretty much a waiting game.”

Spending a second day watching the draft on the Internet, his computer froze briefly in the afternoon while watching from his father’s home in Lowell. During that time, the Brewers picked him with the 1,091st choice in this year’s draft.

Conner, a 21-year-old right-hander, became the fourth Elon pitcher selected in this year’s draft. Ken Ferrer, Thomas Girdwood and John Brebbia were picked a day earlier.

Conner was largely unproven on the Division I level entering the season. He spent two years at Guilford Tech and then underwent surgery to remove bone spurs in his right elbow in the summer of 2009. So his impact for Elon the following season was limited.

That was far from the case this year.

“(It helped) the way I progressed from last year to this year,” Conner said. “This year I felt good coming into the year.

“I always had confidence in myself. I kept plugging away and kept working hard and kept listening to Coach (Mike) Kennedy. It’s a really cool feeling now.”

Conner posted a 1-2 record with eight saves (of the team’s 15 total) and a 2.32 earned run average this year. He struck out 31 batters in 31 innings while walking 11. Opponents batted .190 off him.

Kennedy said during the season that he liked how Conner stepped into the closer’s role and the consistency that he showed. He allowed a total of two runs across his last 12 outings.

Conner, who grew up in Florida, said he wasn’t sure how much he was on scouts’ draft radars, though he had contact with some of them about a week ago. He said he experience at Elon allowed him to gain the exposure that’s making a professional career possible.

Of course, he did his part when Elon’s closer position needed stability. An effective slider became one of his assets.

“I guess whenever I pitched they liked how I handled certain situations when I came in,” he said. “They saw how I handled myself in big situations and how you have to be composed.”

Six Elon pitchers have been drafted in the past two drafts and another is pitching professionally as a nondrafted free agent.

“I’m happy for everyone who’s playing and who got drafted, but they’re not my teammates anymore and that’s the tough part,” Conner said.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

34. Adam Weisenburger, C, Miami University

A pair of outgoing RedHawks, catcher Adam Weisenburger and left-handed pitcher Tyler Melling, were selected in the 2011 MLB Amateur Draft, becoming the 68th and 69th players ever drafted in program history. Weisenburger was taken by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 34th round (#1031 overall), while Melling went to the St. Louis Cardinals five rounds later (#1190 overall). This marks the 12th consecutive year that a RedHawk has been taken in the draft, and at least two have been taken each year during that streak.

Weisenburger had a great senior season for the 'Hawks, batting .298 (53-for-178) while clubbing seven homers, tied for second-most on the team. Playing in 54 games, he drove in 26 RBIs and scored 39 runs, also good for second-most on the team. The two-time team captain was solid behind the plate too. As the RedHawks' primary catcher, he had a fielding percentage of .981 and threw out 32% of baserunners (12 of 38) this year. His career numbers include a .297 average (144-for-485), 16 home runs, 104 runs and 92 RBIs. He was the sixth of eight catchers that the Brewers drafted, meaning he will have some competition as he begins his climb up the minor league ladder. Of the other seven, four are coming directly out of high school and only one is older than Weisenburger.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

33rd round pick LHP Steven Okert, twice drafted by the Brewers, could be a tough JUCO sign --

Okert, who is headed to the University of Oklahoma to coninue his college career, finished the NJCAA Region V tournament with a 9-1 record and a 1.90 earned-run average Okert was first-team all-region and was also an honorable-mention juco All-American.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Yeah, how nice would it be to be a native of the Bahamas?Bahamian Sean Albury drafted by the Brewers

Yet another Bahamian collegiate baseball player has been drafted into the major leagues.

Nova Southeastern senior hurler Sean Albury, who piled up some impressive statistics for the Sharks this year, caught the eye of the Milwaukee Brewers as they took him with the 941st overall pick in the 31st round of the Major League Baseball (MLB)?Draft on Tuesday.

Right-hand pitcher Albury finished with a 7-2 win/loss record this year, limiting opponents to a .229 batting average. The 22-year-old closer finished with a 2.08 ERA this year, and was named to the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA)?All-South Region Team. Albury was also named as a member of the (ABCA) American Baseball Coaches Association All-South Region teams.

In his junior year last year, Albury earned NCBWA and ABCA/Rawlings Second Team All-America honors, was named first-team All-Sunshine State Conference, and was also selected to the Daktronics first-team all-region, first-team NCBWA all-region and ABCA/Rawlings first-team all-region. He had one of the most dominant seasons pitching in relief in program history as he allowed just two runs in 23 and one third innings pitched for a 0.77 Earned Run Average (ERA).

In his junior year, Albury struck out 37 batters and limited the opposition to just a .134 batting average. He concluded the season with a 2-1 record and 10 saves in 20 appearances. His 10 saves ranked among the nation's elite closers. He had 16 consecutive scoreless outings, and his 0.77 ERA was the lowest in program history for a pitcher with over 20 innings pitched.

As a sophomore in 2009, Albury established himself as the Sharks regular closer. He finished 1-4 with six saves and a 6.97 ERA. Albury started the season with nine consecutive scoreless appearances, and held opposing batters to a .220 batting average. He struck out 34 in 20.2 innings, and struck out the side four times. He struck out at least one batter in his first 12 appearances.

As a freshman in 2008, Albury made eight appearances as a reliever out of the bullpen and six appearances as an outfielder. He had three hits in 14 at-bats, was successful in his only stolen base attempt, and allowed only one earned run in eight innings pitched. He struck out 13 while walking just four, and held opposing batters to a .192 batting average.

The Bahamas Baseball?Federation (BBF) wishes to congratulate the Nova Southeastern hurler on this momentous achievement.

http://www.thenassauguardian.com/attachments/article/10874/1C%20Pic-Selected.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

LINK

Louisiana Tech signee BreShon Kimbell, a catcher from Mesquite (Texas) High School, was taken by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 28th round with the 851st overall selection. Tech head coach Wade Simoneaux said he has talked to Kimbell, and said Kimbell is "definitely coming" to Tech.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The University of North Florida baseball team's Casey Medlen was selected in the 37th round (1,121st overall pick) of the 2011 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft by the Milwaukee Brewers on Wednesday, June 8. Medlen was the only selection off of the 2011 UNF team; however, Ospreys signee Drew Weeks was also selected in the 29th round (879th overall pick) by the Chicago Cubs.
“I am extremely happy for Casey,” head coach Smoke Laval stated. “He has worked hard over the past two seasons and been one of the most reliable pitchers we have had on the team. He is a dominant pitcher who strikes out a lot of batters and doesn't issue a lot of walks. He started for us; he came out of the bullpen; he did it all. I am extremely happy for him and I wish him luck as he continues his baseball career.”
“I am speechless,” Medlen remarked. “I am overwhelmed right now. This is a dream come true. A lot of people told me that I wasn't going to be able to play Division I baseball or that I wouldn't be able to play professionally. I worked extremely hard over the past four years to prove them wrong. I was able to play Division I baseball here at North Florida. I wanted a chance to continue playing after college and the Brewers have given me the opportunity to do that. I could not be happier.”
Medlen, a transfer from Daytona Beach Community College, was one of the premiere pitchers for the Ospreys over the past two seasons. In two years, he recorded a 4.98 earned run average with a 9-5 overall record with five saves. Medlen made 45 appearances in two years, serving primarily as a relief pitcher. He made six starts during the 2011 season. The fireballer tossed 108.1 innings, surrendering 118 hits with 73 runs (60 earned runs). Medlen walked 44 batters, while striking out 122. Opponents batted just .280 against him.
This season, Medlen made 18 appearances on the mound, splitting time as a starter and a reliever, boasting a 5.05 earned run average on the season with a team-best 5-2 record with a combined shutout and a save. He tossed 62.1 innings, surrendering 72 hits, 46 runs with 35 earned runs. Medlen walked just 20 batters while striking out 70 batters. The Apopka, Fla. native led the team in win-loss percentage, wins and batters struck out looking; second on the team in innings pitched, batters struck out and appearances; third in earned run average, opposing batting average, saves and games in relief; and fourth in games started.
Medlen has potential to play for former North Florida baseball coach Dusty Rhodes, who currently works in the Brewers organization.
“Dusty gave me my chance to play at the Division I level,” commented Medlen. “He is a great baseball coach and I would like the opportunity to play for him again. I enjoyed playing for him my first year at UNF.”

Dom Amore/Hartford Courant

Doug Elliot wasn't considered a prospect when the season started. He wasn't even going to be UConn's full-time catcher.

Just before the season began, catcher Joe Pavone tore up his knee and Elliot's baseball career took an upward, if grueling path. As scouts flocked to games to see pitcher Matt Barnes, they took note of the solid job Elliot did handling him and couldn't help but notice his durability.

"He had to step up and become a leader for our team," said Barnes, drafted in the first round by the Red Sox, on a conference call with Boston reporters Wednesday. "He did an unbelievable job for us."

On the third and final day of the draft, the Brewers selected Elliot in the 35th round. As he was lifting weights at Clemson, with UConn preparing for NCAA super regional play this weekend at South Carolina, coach Jim Penders came by with the news.

"I'm not a guy who jumps out at you," Elliot said. "Maybe you have to see me every day to appreciate the little things I do."

Elliott, who played football and baseball at Rocky Hill High, has been an ironman, catching all but one of UConn's 64 games this season. He caught all but one inning in the NCAA regional as UConn played five games in four games in searing Carolina heat. Elliot is especially good at blocking balls in the dirt.

With Elliot and left-handed pitcher Elliot Glynn, also chosen by the Brewers Wednesday, in the 39th round, a total of 10 UConn players were picked. The Brewers, who had the No. 15 pick in the draft, scouted a lot of games evaluating center fielder George Springer, who went at No. 11 to Houston, and Barnes, who was picked by the Red Sox at No. 19, so they got a good look at other Huskies. They took first baseman Mike Nemeth on Tuesday.

"I think a lot of pressure is off my shoulders, and I think that's true for all of us," said Barnes, who will probably pitch on Saturday against South Carolina ace Michael Roth in Columbia, S.C.

Said Elliot: "George and Matt knew where they were going, the rest of us were thinking about it, wondering what was going to happen, so I think it definitely helps that the draft is over."

Barnes (11-4, 1.62) had one of the worst outings of his career in the regional, losing 13-1 to Coastal Carolina, but his batterymate expects different this week.

"He hasn't had many bad starts," Elliot said. "He had that one rough outing at Rutgers, and he came back the next week [against South Florida] and dominated the game again. That's what I expect this week."

Stuart Lieberman/Opelika-Auburn News

Jerry Zulli insisted on getting into town a full day prior to Memphis’ two-game road stint against Auburn University this week.

Zulli, an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator for the Memphis baseball team, arrived Monday so he could watch Glenwood senior catcher Keaton Aldridge on the diamond, who will be playing for him in Conference USA next year.

A little unexpected bug hit Aldridge just before Zulli arrived, though.

“He was sick as a dog. He had a fever come down, had the flu, and I know he checked in late into school to be able to play,” Zulli said.

“It was amazing to see him play because he was just throwing up and you could see how deteriorated he was, yet he was able to go out, and I know he had the first RBI — an RBI single. He did a tremendous job catching one of their better arms and it wound up being a pretty good game.”

Aldridge finished the game 2-for-4 with two RBI in Glenwood’s 4-3 win against Deerfield-Windsor.

Ever since Aldridge signed with Memphis back in November, he’s had weekly phone chats with Zulli to keep him up-to-date on everything in Phenix City.

Zulli said the catcher bombards him with inquisitive questions each week, as he’s curious as to what’s going on nearly 400 miles northwest of him.

The Tigers’ coach was impressed Monday with how calm Glenwood’s entire team was when the game was tied up at one point and was surprised to see that nobody even panicked when the Gators dropped a fly ball in centerfield.

“The kids seem really, really hungry to win another state title, and that’s what Keaton talks about mostly,” Zulli said. “When we’re chasing a championship, it’s really important to have kids that have won it and have been in those moments and can really relate to when that happens.”

Memphis’ baseball team’s recruiting process, according to head coach Daron Schoenrock, is based on “prior relationships that lead to evaluation” rather than just “Hey, I like that player. Let’s find out something about him.”

Game tapes aren’t quite as common in the recruiting process in baseball as they are in football, so when Zulli received a phone call from Glenwood coach Tim Fanning — whom he knew from his time at Middle Georgia — more than a year ago about Aldridge, he acted on it.

Aldridge stood out to Memphis because he was more than just somebody who could smack one over the fence every once in a while.

“He’s not a huge, physical middle-of-the-order power hitter right now, and I’m OK with that. I want a defender and a leader and an athlete and a field general first, and an offensive player second,” Schoenrock said.

“We have to project and forecast what we think he can become offensively.”

At the high school level, Aldridge is already calling some of his own games, which isn’t even a skill all college catchers have acquired yet.

Schoenrock was drawn to that freedom and responsibility behind the plate immediately.

“I don’t want robots,” Schoenrock said. “I want guys to come in and bring what they see to the table.”

With senior catcher and co-captain Phillip Chapman graduating after this season, Schoenrock said the door will be open for playing time behind home plate next year.

Aldridge will have to make the adjustment from being a big fish in a small pond to a small fish in a big pond, playing a higher volume of games and consenting to a physical transformation warranted by Tiger coaches to increase his body strength.

But in the meantime, Memphis’ coaches know he’s just focused on bringing Glenwood its third-straight AISA AAA state championship.

As he should be.

Scouting reports on Jalen Harris from Perfect Game USA:
Jalen Harris is a 2011 RHP/IF with a 6'2'', 210 lb. frame from Toronto, ON who attends Northern Secondary. Very athletic build, good present strength. Tall delivery, arm works cleanly, throws easy, downhill angle. Upper 70's fastball, looks like he should throw harder, throws strikes, soft curveball. 6.88 runner, open to close approach, quick loose hands, has bat speed and some pop, good plate coverage, has hitting tools. Has hitting tools/athletic ability/speed to be good outfield prospect on this look.
...and Bob Elliott of the Canadian Baseball Network:
He can play pro at 3B right now on defence. Good hands and feet and arm. Have personally worked with him and will again. Only thing that is lacking is fundamental approach at plate. Good hand quickness, natural loft and bat speed. Once he masters weight transfer look out. Better prospect than Michael Crouse and Michael was a very good prospect.

University of Portland head coach Chris Sperry on Caleb Whalen:
“Caleb could play just about anywhere on the field. He is a plus runner, he can throw, hit and hit with some power. I’ve seen him play a ton and, in addition to his tools, I have been most impressed with his desire to have the ball hit to him. He has a knack for being in the right spot at the right time. He is a born leader, a special player, and excels at many things.”

Archived