Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 21-50 -- Latest: 26th-rounder Josh Smith

Please use this thread to share your thoughts, links, stories, pictures and anything else on the Brewers' picks on draft day from rounds 21 through 50. Please do not start separate threads to discuss the individual picks. 

Please use the in-draft thread to talk about the picks similar to a game thread.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While not a Brewers pick, Braves snatched up former Fond du Lac baseball standout and one of Wisconsin's top HS players in 2008, Sam Munson in the 23rd round. Brother Wes Munson was a Brewers pick in 2006.

Doubt he's signable. but it would be nice...

http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=241694

BréShon Kimbell is a 2011 C/1B with a 6-2 210 lb. frame from Mesquite, TX who attends Mesquite HS. Very strong physical build, plus upper body strength. Good balance hitting, bend knee stance, quick hands, good bat speed, solid pull contact, keeps it simple and easy, smooth out front, projects well as a hitter, has power. Needs to be followed. Very good student.

There were some pretty interesting picks in this range for the Brewers. Just a few quick thoughts:

Ben McMahan was a pretty promising recruit for the Gators when he first arrived on campus. Other talented catching recruits such as Austin Maddox and Mike Zunino (SEC POY) have pushed him in a reserve role.

Michael Palazzone was an Aflac All-American in high school, and IIRC started for the East squad back in 2007. He was a premium recruit with a big bender with TJ surgery in his past. Here's his report from PG's Georgia preview:

Palazzone was picked in the 18th round by the Braves in 2008, just one round after the Braves took Pope. Though they play on rival college teams, Palazzone and Pope were teammates on the same East Cobb youth teams during their high-school years. Palazzone has recovered sufficiently from both Tommy John surgery in the past and the meltdown by Georgia’s entire pitching staff in 2010 to become one of the top starters in the Southeastern Conference this season. He was 8-2, 2.15 through his first 12 starts.

With Palazzone’s best pitch being a changeup, he may lack the true power pitch to propel him into the top 3-5 rounds, but his three-pitch arsenal, command and maturity should easily land him in the first 10 rounds.

14. MICHAEL PALAZZONE, rhp, University of Georgia (Jr.)

UGA ace (8-2, 2.15, 88 IP/8 BB), OK stuff (88-92 mph FB/+ CH/downer CU), but works ahead consistently.

Chad Thompson is a super-sized RHP with a power arm. Check out his PG profile for reports, more links and a video:

http://www.perfectgame.or...erprofile.aspx?ID=180642

BreShon Kimbell is another interesting prospect given his experience and upside. I'm not so sure he sticks behind the plate, but he's a physical player. Here's a report from 5 Tool Talk from his participation with Team USA last summer (keep in mind the George Springer reference has more to do with his physical stature than his projected future ability):

Kimbell was an impressive athlete, with a chiseled, developed physique and defined upper half. He has sloped shoulders and a well-proportioned lower half as well. His upright batting stance and body type reminded me of George Springer, who tore things up this summer on the Cape and with the Collegiate National Team USA squad. Kimbell shows good bat speed and puts a nice charge in the ball.

And his PG profile, again, with scouting reports, links to other stories, and video:

http://www.perfectgame.or...erprofile.aspx?ID=241694

David Lucroy is of course Jonathan's brother. You see these kinds of picks all the time. Here's a link to his Perfect Game profile with the usual reports, links and video:

http://www.perfectgame.or...erprofile.aspx?ID=127859

There were a trio of Brewers fans, myself included, in the PG War Room today, so we all made sure to add a Prince Fielder-related comment when Trent Boras was announced. Honestly, I really don't know why else that pick was made. He plays for a high-profile team, and is a good player, but he's not a pro prospect.

colby, just kind of a funny question here, but are there ever any kids that throw knucklers that get drafted? It seems most are converted to it, but it would be interesting to find a kid that's thrown it since he was 12 or 13 and draft him at 18 or 21.

I remember Lance Niekro threw a nice one in the AFL warmups, but his conversion to pitcher didn't last long in the minors.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Jones considering options

by A. Stacy Long, Montgomery Advertiser

Wetumpka's Bradley Roney and Jefferson Davis High School's D.J. Jones are both in a wait-and-see approach after being taken Tuesday in the annual baseball draft.

Roney was an 18th-round pick of the Baltimore Orioles, while Jones went in the 22nd round to the Milwaukee Brewers.

Neither would say what money figure might sway them from going to school.

"I don't know yet," Jones said. "We haven't really talked about the money issue and all that."

Teams have until Aug. 15 to sign their draft picks.

Jones was on a field when he learned he'd been picked.

Jones is an instructor at a Strike Zone camp this week -- "I'm trying to make a little extra money" -- and was umpiring a game when his phone rang. He answered just before a play started and called a runner out just as he learned the news.

His phone had barely stopped ringing by early Tuesday evening.

"I knew I was going to get drafted, but I didn't know exactly when," Jones said. "You could say I'm pumped."

"I'm trying to make a little extra money" -- and was umpiring a game when his phone rang. He answered just before a play started and called a runner out just as he learned the news.

Umpiring fail

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
"I'm trying to make a little extra money" -- and was umpiring a game when his phone rang. He answered just before a play started and called a runner out just as he learned the news.

Umpiring fail

Wow! I'd agree. Call a timeout or something.

So was it something like this?

Hello?

Doug Melvin? You say I've been drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers?

YEEEERRRRR OUUUUUTT!!!!!

Baseball America on Mike Nemeth, 21st round:

Outside of the team's big three draft prospects, Mike Nemeth

figures to be the first Husky selected, thanks to his consistent track

record with the bat. Nemeth set UConn's all-time hits record as a

junior, and he continued padding his total this year, upping the number

to 309 career hits through 55 games this year. At 6-foot-1 and 200

pounds, Nemeth has gap power and is a below-average runner. He's solid

in the field and was named the Big East's top defensive first baseman

before the season. He has drawn comparisons to Casey Kotchman, and he'll

likely get taken in the 15-20 rounds range.

Baseball America on Michael Palazzone, 24th round

Georgia used a strong finish to the season to made it back to NCAA

regional play after an up-and-down regular season. One key for the

Bulldogs' improvement over a 16-win season last year was its starting

pitching, keyed by righthander Michael Palazzone.

He was an unsigned 18th-round pick in 2008 by the Braves—one round

after Tech ace Mark Pope—but headed to school. He was a draft-eligible

sophomore last year but lasted until the 32nd round thanks to a

straight, low-90s fastball that got pounded to the tune of 4-6, 8.66. He

was a rock in 2011, though, going 10-5, 3.14 after a loss in regional

play. He pitched somewhat like Pope this year, commanding a fringy

fastball at 87-89 mph, touching 91 and showing more life than he did in

the past. He's done a much better job throwing his slurvy breaking ball

and changeup for strikes, and his pitch patterns have improved

significantly. He's expected to be drafted in the first 12 rounds.

Baseball America on Chad Thompson, 27th round:

Orange Coast CC righthander Chad Thompson

was a Top 200 prospect and a 17th-round pick out of high school in

2009. He missed all of last season while recovering from Tommy John

surgery, and his velocity has been up and down this spring. Early in

games, Thompson has flashed 90-93 mph heat and even topped out at 95,

though even then he tended to get hit around. Other times he pitches at

84-87 or 87-90 mph. He clearly has arm strength and a huge 6-foot-8,

210-pound frame, but his delivery and arm action aren't pretty and he

struggles with his control and command. He also throws a slow curveball

and a slider that both rate as well below-average.

Baseball America on BreShon Kimbell, 28th round:

Kimbell has a big league body at 6-foot-2 and 210 pounds, and though he

only has been catching for a year, he has a little more arm strength and

is a little more advanced than Lockwood. That said, Kimbell still has a

lot of work to do behind the plate. A righthanded hitter with

intriguing power potential, he has committed to Louisiana Tech.

Looks like the Brewers did a lot of scouting on the UConn program. I'm guessing that they looked at Barnes a lot judging by the number of UConn players drafted.

Isn't Nova Southeastern, where their 31st round pick is from, where Fiers went to college?

Archived