Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 6-20 -- Rodon, Amaral do not sign

Brewer Fanatic Staff

McFarland taken on second day of MLB draft

By JOSH HAVARD/The Lufkin (TX) Daily News

A pair of Lufkin Panthers’ baseball players took the next step to accomplishing a lifetime goal as Gandy Stubblefield and Chris McFarland were taken on the second day of the Major League Baseball draft Tuesday afternoon.

Stubblefield, a standout right-handed pitcher, was taken in the 14th round by the Houston Astros, while McFarland, a star shortstop, was taken by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 18th round.

The players helped Lufkin advance to the regional quarterfinals this year and will now get the chance to continue their playing careers.

“This is a great day for two really good kids,” Lufkin head coach Clay Berry said. “They’ve both got a great intensity in the field and they very well could be in the majors in the next three or four years.”

McFarland was a powerful bat in the Lufkin lineup while playing shortstop for the varsity in the last three seasons.

He said that while it was an exciting process, it’s one he’s glad is over.

“It’s a stressful thing to go through, but I just give God thanks for helping me through it,” McFarland said. “I still don’t know what I’m going to do. There will be a lot of negotiating but everything will work out for the best.”

McFarland also has the option of attending a prominent baseball school as he has signed a letter of intent with the Rice Owls.

He said either option is intriguing for him.

“Rice definitely isn’t a Plan B or a fallback plan,” McFarland said. “I really can’t go wrong either way because whichever I decide to do will be a good decision.”

McFarland said he was in no rush to make the decision.

“I’m not in any rush right now,” McFarland said. “I’ll probably take the summer to think about it.”

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like McFarland is much more open to signing than most of us originally thought. I really hope we can lock up these high school kids in the top 20. I think that will go a long way in starting to rebuild our system. Really talent kids to mix with the talent DSL kids to build from bottom up.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Article link, blurb noted here --

Doral Reagan High catcher Mario Amaral, a Florida State signee, waited at home for hours to hear his name called and finally left to go play billiards with his girlfriend when the Brewers took him in the 17th round, 521st overall.

“We were getting a little anxious and a little nervous and the rounds just kept going by,” Amaral said. “It was a really good moment to finally know. It’s a dream come true. I had no expectations. A year and a half ago I had no idea I’d have a scholarship to a big time school, much less get drafted.”

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Article link, relative portion noted here --

Carlos Rodon, a left-hander who was chosen MVP of the NCHSAA 4-A state championship series last week, was taken much later than projected, falling to the Milwaukee Brewers in the 16th round (491st overall).

One of the major reasons Rodon, who was projected by most outlets as being a top-five-round selection, fell hundreds of picks later was what baseball pundits call "signability." Rodon and his parents value the college experience and education, and MLB teams knew it would take a signing bonus in the range of supplemental round's slotted range (about $750,000 to $800,000) to sign him away from his commitment to play at N.C. State next season.

The Brewers called Rodon in the fourth round to ask if he would sign for that round's slot money, which is estimated at about $250,000. He declined and was taken by the team 12 rounds later without a phone call beforehand.

"It's definitely a business. I've learned a lot about how people truly are," Rodon said. "I got drafted a lot later than I expected, but it happens. Being drafted is pretty great, and especially on top of a state championship (last week)."

Rodon struck out 135 batters this season, the most in the Triangle, with a 1.40 ERA. Over his past three seasons, he went 23-2 as a starter. During a complete-game two-hit shutout in the first game of the 4-A championship series, his fastball was clocked at 93 mph in the first inning and only trailed off to 90 mph by the seventh.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The Milwaukee Brewers chose Eagles' junior right-hander Jacob Barnes in the 14th round.

With Barnes being chosen lower than expected, it becomes a question of how bad Milwaukee - which traded a lot of prospects for major-league pitching the past three years - wants a 6-foot-2, 230-pounder who can throw in the mid 90s but hasn't had huge success on the mound. He was 1-4 with four saves and a 4.58 earned run average this past season.

"There's a good chance he may not get quite the money he wants," FGCU assistant coach Rusty McKee said. "He also may want to get his degree."

FGCU junior Barnes selected

By Dana Caldwell, Naples (FL) News

ESTERO — Florida Gulf Coast University baseball coach Dave Tollett was so antsy he couldn’t stay in his office to monitor Tuesday’s second of the three-day Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft.

He figured prize signee Granden Goetzman — a five-tool outfielder from Palmtetto — would go in the second round. He was right. Tampa Bay snatched up the 6-foot-4, 195-pounder with the 75th overall pick.

Tollett spoke with Goetzman, mostly to congratulate him, but also to keep the door open to FGCU. But it’s highly unlikely Goetzman will make it to campus, Tollett admitted.

Tollett also was sweating out the immediate future of rising junior Jacob Barnes, a 6-2, 230-pound right-hander. Barnes was only 1-4 with a 4.58 ERA last season, but he led the Atlantic Sun and is 10th nationally in strikeouts per nine innings with 11.13. Barnes also had a team-high four saves and his size and velocity (up to 96 mph) made him a hot commodity.

Tollett figured Barnes to go between the third and 10th rounds, most likely in the sixth or seventh. Milwaukee selected Barnes in the 14th round with the 431st overall pick.

“I think we’re going to send Jacob out to play this summer and see where it falls,” Tollett said.

Drafted players with remaining collegiate eligibility have until Aug. 15 to declare if they’ll go to school or the pros. Last year FGCU freshman outfielder Sean Dwyer of Leesburg was taken in the 15th round of the 2010 draft and did not make his decision until the last few days.

“I think this (Barnes’ decision) is going to be very similar,” Tollett said.

Barnes may have been more nervous than Tollett on Tuesday. He said he thought he might fall to the 10th round.

“When I saw that wasn’t happening, I was bummed, but once I got a call in the 10th or 11th round, I got a call asking if I was ready to sign, I was fine and I told them, ‘Yeah,’ ” Barnes said.

But he might not be ready just yet. Barnes said he believed the signing range (not slotted like early rounders) for the 14th round will be around $70,000.

Barnes said a Brewers representative told him he’d be in touch in “a couple of days to talk money and stuff like that. Depending on that, I’ll have a better clue if I’m going to sign with them or come back to school. I would probably have to get a little more than the average, but I haven’t really sat down with my family to talk about that. So I’m not completely sure what it would take.

“I would have to consider the benefits and the risk of both.”

Barnes said it’s a win-win situation.

“I’ve got FGCU to fall back on, which is a pretty good plan,” Barnes said. “Either way, it will work out for me, so I’m really happy about that.”

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers select Strong in 10th round of MLB Draft

By STUART GROSKREUTZ, Stillwater (OK) Gazette

Mike Strong has 18 hours of course work left at Oklahoma State University to get his degree in education, but his first job out college will not be in the classroom.

The 2007 Stillwater Area High School graduate will be working and playing outdoors as a pitcher in the minor leagues after the Milwaukee Brewers selected him in the 10th round of the Major League Baseball Draft on Tuesday afternoon. He was the 311th player chosen.

"I was really excited," Strong said. "I wanted to go in the slot rounds and that's where I went. I'm pretty happy with the 10th round. The Brewers guy called me and said 'congratulations, you're a Brewer'. I just said thank you very much. It's a great feeling."

This marks the third time Strong has been drafted, but unlike previous years the option of returning to college baseball does not exist. He was drafted by the Oakland Athletics in the 22nd round a year ago and by the White Sox in the 25th round after completing his second year at Iowa Western Community College in 2009.

He more seriously considered signing with the White Sox two years ago when he was offered a contract that could well be higher than the one he eventually signs with the Brewers, but the maturity and growth over the last two years has raised his confidence and bolstered his ability to deal with the rigors of professional baseball.

"My sophomore year was the most money I would have got, but I knew I wasn't ready," Strong said. "I knew if I don't perform they'll release you just like that. I knew going back to school was the best option for me."

He has worked as a starter and out of the bullpen for the Cowboys and says he is willing to do whatever the Brewers request, although his preference is to be a starter.

Strong said he'll meet with representatives from the Brewers in a few days and expects to sign and get assigned within a week or two. After his rookie season of pro ball, the left-hander plans to finish up his degree at Oklahoma State in the fall - even if he hopes he won't need to fall back on his Plan B if his baseball career winds down sooner than expected.

"Wherever they send me and wherever they need me to fill that role as best I can," Strong said. "I prefer starting, but I just want to be able to help out the club and if they need me in a relief role I've done that, too. I feel comfortable about both. If it's relief, I'll do that. I just want to work my way up and try to get to the highest level where I can stay awhile. I want to get up there as fast as I can, but I want to come back and finish school this fall so I can have my degree. As far as getting to the major leagues, I want to be there in the next one to four years, but it's probably going to be later than one to two years. I want to be up there and successfully help the Brewers win a World Series."

Strong compiled a 5-1 record with a 3.61 ERA in 15 appearances - 13 were starts - for the Cowboys this season. He struck out 70 while allowing 64 hits and 25 walks in 72.1 innings. Opponents batted just .241 against him.

In his bio on the Oklahoma State baseball website, Strong lists the Twins as his favorite team, although that may have changed with his selection by the Brewers on Tuesday. Going into this year's draft he felt the White Sox - who have been tracking him since high school - showed the most interest.

"The Twins would have been nice, but (Milwaukee) is pretty close to my hometown, too," Strong said. "It was a shocker, but it was kind of cool because it's right close to where I live."

The left-hander was an all-state performer for the Ponies as a senior when he posted a 6-1 record with a 1.07 ERA. He struck out 69 in just 47 innings.

Stillwater Activities Director Ricky Michel was his high school coach and hasn't been surprised by Strong's success.

"The biggest difference I see is the size," Michel said. "He was kind of a thin kid with a live arm. He was a lefty and worked hard, but he really thickened up in college and he's made great strides and his curveball is more consistent. I watched him throw for St. Cloud in a wooden bat league and I think in college he got better command of his pitches. He was an excellent high school pitcher and he had a great career, but he learned how to pitch when he went to college."

Michel's experience with Strong goes back much further than two years on varsity.

"I just remember him loving the game of baseball," Michel said. "Even at Day Ball when he was a fifth- or sixth-grader, he always had that smile on his face and he just loved playing baseball when he was out there on the mound or with his friends. Now he gets to do it for money."

Strong also becomes the fourth Stillwater player to get drafted since 2004 when current Minnesota Twins pitcher Glen Perkins was taken out of the University of Minnesota in the first round. Ryan Lindgren, a 2005 Stillwater grad, was taken by the Seattle Mariners in the 23rd round of the 2005 draft and by the Detroit Tigers in the 27th round in 2006, and St. Olaf outfielder Andrew Schmiesing was selected by the Minnesota Twins in the 11th round of the 2007 draft.

Arm injuries ended the career of Lindgren - who was the hardest thrower Michel has coached - and Schmiesing is also out of professional baseball. Perkins, meanwhile, was enjoying an exceptional season with the Twins before going on the disabled list.

When asked to compare the two left-handers, Michel said there are similarities and differences between Perkins and Strong.

"Velocity wise, they were very similar," Michel said. "Glen had better command, but Mike had an idea in high school of developing a third pitch and Glen never really had to because he could go fastball, curveball. Mike was a little more developed as far as having a third pitch.

"I think for him the biggest thing they're going to look at it - I'm sure they like the velocity - is going to be the innings to walk ratio. That has to come down to get to that next level. I do know that he likes to pound the ball inside and at that level with the wood bats he's going to like that."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

SMART MOVE BY HOULE PAYS OFF WITH DRAFT

Dustin Houle decided two seasons ago that if he was going to make his baseball dreams come true, he had to make a move to the Lower Mainland from his home in the Penticton area.

On Tuesday, the move paid off after the Milwaukee Brewers selected the third baseman/catcher from the B.C. Premier League's Langley Blaze in the eighth round of the MLB draft, 251st overall.

"It was an easy decision to leave, but it was tough leaving my friends and my family," said Houle, a senior at Langley's Brookswood Secondary.

"I just knew that going away for baseball was the right thing to do."

Houle found out he had been drafted when his mom Fay, who had been following the proceedings via computer, called from Penticton with the good news.

Said Doug Mathieson, his coach with the Blaze: "I like everything about him. He's all about baseball and he works his butt off."

Much more on Houle shortly...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

FYI -- Milwaukee went with Dustin Houle in the eighth round and will give him a look as a catcher. The native of Canada was primarily a third baseman in high school.Brewers nab Houle in eighth round

By Gary Ahuja - Langley (BC) Times

While cell phones in class are not permitted, Tuesday was a special circumstance.

"I had warned my teacher ahead of time that I might be getting a call and he told me to go ahead and take it if it came," explained Dustin Houle.

The teacher realized this was not an ordinary phone call.

Houle was sitting in English class at Brookswood Secondary when his phone rang shortly after noon.

On the other end was Houle's advisor calling with the great news that the 17-year-old had been taken in the eighth round, 251st overall, by the Milwaukee Brewers.

"I was shocked to go that high," Houle admitted, figuring he would go between the tenth and 15th rounds of the 50-round draft for all high school, college and university players in North America.

"But over the past month, I have been tearing it up."

"I am just really excited right now; it is a surreal moment."

Houle, a third-baseman/catcher, spent most of May in the Dominican Republic with Canada's junior national team.

Upon returning a few weeks ago, the Brewers invited him to a pre-draft workout just last week (June 3). And Houle made a very lasting impression.

Already on the organization's radar — Milwaukee has chosen six players from the Blaze program since 2004 — Houle belted a 420-foot home run.

Following that monster shot, he said one of the team's scouts began calling him the 'Canadian King Kong.'

After talking to his advisor, who will soon become his agent, Houle called him mom back in Penticton, and he said she got pretty emotional over his accomplishments.

Houle left home last year to join the Blaze, knowing it would open more doors and opportunities for his baseball career.

"I just owe a lot of credit to coach Doug (Mathieson) and coach Jamie (Bodaly) for all the support and good coaching along the way," Houle said. "I appreciate them a lot for everything they have done."

Bodaly says Houle is arguably one of the best hitters in the country.

Houle will remain in the Blaze line-up for the time being.

Through 19 games, Houle is hitting .304 with a team-high 15 RBIs. He is also tied for the Blaze lead with seven extra-base hits, including a triple and home run. He is also just two RBIs behind the Premier Baseball League lead, despite playing three less games and having 16 less at-bats.

Last season, he batted .289 with 19 RBIs over a full season in Langley.

According to MLB rules, he cannot sign a pro contract until after graduating.

He admits he is leaning towards signing, which would mean his pro career would start this summer in rookie ball in Arizona.

Should Houle choose not to sign, he does have a scholarship to Florida's Chipola College.

Dustin Houle was selected in the eighth round of Major League Baseball's draft on Tuesday. Photo by Garrett James/Langley Times

http://media.bclocalnews.com/images/364*395/37540langleyDustinHouleBlazebaseballwebversion.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Keller leads area draft picks with sixth-round selection

By Rhiannon Potkey, Ventura County (CA) Star

Danny Keller had a good excuse for skipping graduation rehearsal at Newbury Park High on Tuesday morning.

Keller was about to fulfill his childhood dream.

The 6-foot-5, 190-pound right-handed pitcher was selected in the sixth round by the Milwaukee Brewers in Major League Baseball's First-Year Player Draft.

"Getting drafted is such a big honor, and it was really exciting to finally have it happen," Keller said. "It was like breathing a sigh of relief."

Keller was one of nine players with local ties selected on the second day of the draft.

Keller, the 191st overall pick, had a feeling the Brewers might select him. Keller played on the Brewers scout team during the fall.

"It's kind of nice to already know a few of the guys in the organization and some of the scouts," Keller said. "Anything can happen in the draft, so I wasn't sure they would take me. But it is a pretty cool thing."

""I am most likely going to sign with the Brewers," Keller said. "Basically this is what I have been working for my whole life, so I want to take the chance now."

Awesome news on Houle and Keller! I love to see kids who are excited and really want to sign and start playing. Hopefully they are locked up and go to go to start Arizona ball and don't wait til the end.

Finally Found Something!

Granger Malcolm Dowell taken in ninth round

By Kevin Eckleberry
La Grange News - Dowell taken in ninth round

The phone call he’d been waiting on and dreaming about came late Tuesday afternoon.

LaGrange High baseball player Malcolm Dowell had been told he was going to be taken fairly highly in this year’s Major League Baseball draft, possibly as high as the eighth round.

Still, when the call finally came, Dowell said his main feeling was “shock.”

“Coach (Donnie)?Branch texted me and told me it was getting closer,” Dowell said. “The next thing you know, I get a phone call, and that feeling was shock.”

The call came from the Milwaukee Brewers, who took Dowell in the ninth round with the 281st pick.

Dowell and Branch were expected to meet with a representative from the Brewers this morning, and if that goes well, he’ll begin his professional career this summer.

“I’ve always dreamed of this, and it’s finally here,” Dowell said.?”I’m ready to do it.”

Dowell was a two-sport standout at LaGrange.

In the fall, he put on the pads and was a linebacker and safety for the Grangers.

In the spring, he was a speedy, play-making center fielder for LaGrange.

The Brewers, Branch said, see in Dowell a player with vast potential who hasn’t come close to reaching his peak as a player.

“Malcolm’s a good player, but he’s an athlete,” Branch said. “You try to tell kids that pro sports and college to a degree is about projectability. They don’t want guys that done all they’re going to do. He’s never went through a fall baseball season, he’s never had all those reps he’s going to get. So he’s got a big upside to him.”

Branch said there has been a lot of interest in Dowell all season, and he was proud of the way he didn’t let that pressure bother him.

Dowell had a terrific senior season, and he was especially good in the Grangers’ playoff series against West Hall.

“The more interest he got, the better he played,” Branch said. “He worked out for them, they came and watched him practice. He had a lot of pressure.

“The first time the scouts came he was terrible over at Newnan, but he responded really well (after that).”

The presence of the scouts, Dowell said, “was kind of hard not to (notice). I just kept my confidence up and played like I was trying to win a state-championship game, and it turned out pretty good.”

Branch said there were several teams that had expressed heavy interest in Dowell, and that he figured he’d go anywhere from round eight to round 15.

Milwaukee actually wasn’t the team Dowell thought would end up taking him.

“I was really expecting Detroit to take me,” Dowell said. “I think Milwaukee thought I was the best available outfielder, and they got me.”

Branch had been following on the draft at MLB.com, and he talked to Dowell moments after he was picked.

“I texted him, and then my phone rang,” Branch said. “He was fired up. That’s a dream. Who doesn’t want the chance to play pro baseball.”

Rickards' Smith picked by Brewers

By Jim Lamar

Mallex Smith said he feels blessed and lucky to be in this position today.

On Tuesday, the Rickards High outfielder was drafted with the 10th pick of the 13th round (No. 401 overall) by the Milwaukee Brewers in the Major League Baseball Draft.

"I was pretty ecstatic," Smith said. "It was a shock and I had mixed emotions. I really appreciated that they picked me in the round they picked me. I know lots of kids would like to get drafted and be in the position I'm in, so I'm thankful."

The draft selection caps a memorable two-week stretch for Smith that saw him sign scholarship papers to Santa Fe College in Gainesville and earn first-team All-Big Bend honors in baseball. He placed third in Player of the Year voting by area coaches.

Smith said he chose Santa Fe over several Division I offers because he wanted to have options that include pro baseball after his freshman season.

"I wanted to see if I can help my draft status," Smith said. "They have a real strong program."

Smith played a key role in the resurgence of Rickards baseball the past few years under coach Brian Kelley, who led his alma mater to the Class 3A state playoffs for the first time in years two seasons ago.

Smith was one of five unanimous selections to the All-Big Bend team after batting .542 with 11 triples, four home runs and 34 RBIs. He also stole 32 bases.

"I'm happy for him," Kelley said. "He's definitely deserving of it. He's the first one there and the last one to leave every day."

Kelley said Smith earned a promotion to the Raiders' varsity team when he was a freshman playing on the junior varsity team.

"He came in and took another kid's position and started every game after that," Kelley said. "He's the best I've ever seen with my own eyes."

Smith said he learned about his draft selection when former Florida High player Ryan Robinson, now an area scout for the Brewers, called to share the news.

Smith said he hopes to sign with the Brewers if the two sides agree to financial terms. Former Lincoln High star — and long-time MLB veteran — Reggie Jefferson is serving as an advisor for the Smith family.

"I believe there is a chance I'll sign," Smith said. "I keep in mind that everything happens for a reason. I hope things go the right way. I would love to sign and play pro ball."

If he does sign, Smith would become the third of four siblings to become a professional athlete. Older brother Michael, who played tailback at the University of Arkansas, recently signed a contract with the BC Lions of the Canadian Football League. Older sister Loreal, a North Carolina A&T alum, now runs track professionally.

Carlos Rodon Q&A

http://northcarolinastate.scout.com/2/1077913.html

When did you know that the Brewers were taking you?

[Laughs] About 3 minutes ago. I just got a phone call from the area scout for

the Brewers, Dan Nellum, and he told me that the Brewers drafted me. He said they’re

going to watch me this summer in tournaments and club showcases, and then get me

caught up on what I need to learn.

Were you expecting a call from the Brewers?

I thought there was a chance. Before the draft, I had the best conversations with

the Brewers, Blue Jays, and Cardinals, but I knew it could be any team that drafted me.

I’m really excited about the Brewers.

Have you made a decision at this point if you’re going to attend NC State or sign with the

Brewers?

No, I haven’t. I’m going to take some time this summer to figure it out. I have

until August. Obviously, money will play a factor, but an education, especially one at

NCSU, is really really important to me.

Also, getting to play under Coach Avent and

Coach Holliday is a great opportunity.

As much as I didn't like either first rounder (I was probably just mad that Lindor, Baez, or the real Bradley didn't fall to us) and see both as #4/5 starters, I absolutely love the consistency of vision and approach exhibited in the others picks with the possible exception of the Cal-State 1st baseman. Each pick seemed purposeful, with a greater sense of calculated risk, than the Taylor and Jed picks. Whether it was drafting one of the youngest players taken, or guys that had fantastic bodies, or players who had warts but also extreme possibilities, there just seemed to be less safe picks this year (again disregarding that 1st round). I also like what I read when so many of them are good students. An ability to learn is obviously essential on the 3 to 5/6 year road that many of them will travel. It's true that we won't know until 3/4 years have gone by, but if they signed everyone of their first 20 picks this year (something I know is probably impossible) I bet they hit on two or three. Kudos to the Brewers. I'm pumped.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Cain begins negotiation process with Brewers

by Chuck Carree, Wilmington (NC) Star-News

Andrew Cain is eagerly awaiting a visit from the Milwaukee Brewers regional scout later Thursday.

The team, which took the outfielder in the 12th round on Tuesday of the Major League Baseball Draft, is expected to make him an offer. Teams must make a written offer within 15 days of his selection.

He has no idea what the Brewers will offer or his counter offer, if it comes to that.

He told me he and his family have numerous questions to ask. One is what is the time frame to wrap up negotiations. I sense Cain wants it resolved before the Aug. 15 deadline.

He does not have an advisor, like some players, and it is the first time he has been drafted.

“I don’t have a figure in mind, but I also don’t want to sell myself short either,” he said. “We just have a lot of questions for them.”

Cain, if he returns to school, will be a senior in the fall. He is a year and a half away from graduating.

His education will be part of the negotiations. He obviously wants the final three semesters paid, plus whatever bonus he receives.

He also said he would be content to return to the Seahawks of UNC-Wilmington.

But for now, his focus is on the negotiations.

“It is not an easy decision,” he said.

When I asked him about the Brewers’ projection for him in the future, such as a 6-foot-6, 235-pound outfielder with 25-a-season home run potential, he replied: I am curious to know that too.”

http://baseballnut.blogs.starnewsonline.com/files/2010/02/Andrew-Cain-200x300.jpg

Draft Impressions: National League

from Perfect Game USA

Milwaukee

Brewers

pick:

Taylor

Jungmann, RHP, Texas,

12th overall

Synopsis:

The

Brewers had two first round picks that are somewhat interchangeable

in regards to their prospective value, as they also took Georgia Tech

left-hander Jed Bradley three picks after Jungmann. Jungmann has

been as steady as they come through his college career, working in

the low-90s with a hammer curveball and a polished three-pitch

repertoire. Bradley has more of a power approach, attacking hitters

with a low-90s fastball that can reach 97 while also mixing in a

power slider. The Brewers took the top prospect out of Puerto Rico

with their second round pick, Jorge Lopez, an extremely athletic and

projectable right-hander that is also fairly polished for his

relative lack of experience. Pitching overall was the team's focus

in the early rounds, also adding more polished college starters in

Drew Gagnon (fourth-round) and Mike Strong (10th)

as well as the second coming of 'Wild Thing,' Ole Miss' David Goforth

(seventh).

Late

Round Gem:

Carlos

Rodon (16th round). An easy-throwing, relatively polished lefty, Rodon throws in

the 88-91 range with a power curveball.

Wild

Card:

Malcolm

Dowell (9th round). Dowell is as raw as they come, but his upside is nearly

limitless thanks to his amazing athleticism. His overall baseball

prowess is hard to identify since he has previously been known for

his accolades on the football field more than the baseball diamond.

Key

to Success:

It

isn't too surprising the Brewers continued to focus on pitching, the

organization's most glaring weakness. That weakness led to them

unloading most of their premium prospective talent last offseason for

Zack Greinke and Shawn Marcum, leaving the system relatively barren

of talent. This draft is key in replenishing that talent.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Carlos Rodon Q&ABy Anna Hickey, Pack Pride

NC State baseball signee Carlos Rodon discusses being selected by the Milwaukee Brewers in the MLB Draft with Pack Pride.

When did you know that the Brewers were taking you?

[Laughs] About 3 minutes ago. I just got a phone call from the area scout for the Brewers, Dan Nellum, and he told me that the Brewers drafted me. He said they’re going to watch me this summer in tournaments and club showcases, and then get me caught up on what I need to learn.

Were you expecting a call from the Brewers?

I thought there was a chance. Before the draft, I had the best conversations with the Brewers, Blue Jays, and Cardinals, but I knew it could be any team that drafted me. I’m really excited about the Brewers.

Have you made a decision at this point if you’re going to attend NC State or sign with the Brewers?

No, I haven’t. I’m going to take some time this summer to figure it out. I have until August. Obviously, money will play a factor, but an education, especially one at NCSU, is really really important to me. Also, getting to play under Coach Avent and Coach Holliday is a great opportunity.

What made you feel like NC State was the place for you so early on?

The coaches and the facilities. Coach Avent and Coach Holliday really made me feel like I was a part of the Wolfpack family. I didn’t grow up a State fan, I’m from Miami, but I really love it over there.

Okay, now you’ve won a state title and been drafted by a major league team within a matter of days of each other. Which is better?

Winning the state championship. That’s something that doesn’t happen too often. You know, you can always get drafted, but winning a state title - you really only have one shot at it. And it was awesome winning the title with my teammates. Really, the team aspect of winning the state championship is what set it apart from being drafted.

What aspect of your game did you try to improve on the most this season?

Hitting the ball better. I worked on my power a lot in batting practice, and just improving my overall offense. Also, the mental aspect.

Last year, we lost in the third round of the playoffs, and I didn’t want that happening again this year.

What do you think is your biggest strength as a player?

I’m a competitor. Whether my team is down 1-0 or 10-0, I’ll always try my hardest. I’ll find a way to win.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/93/939023.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The reason 11th round RHP Tommy Toledo missed time in 2010 --

Article link

For Tommy Toledo, he's just happy to be back on the mound again.

The Alonso alum and University of Florida pitcher took a line drive off the right side of his face off the bat of Charleston Southern hitter Derek Smith in March 2010.

Toledo had to be taken to a hospital with facial fractures and had metal plates inserted in his cheeks. He missed a total of 59 days as his injury healed before his next start.

So when Toledo, a junior, got the call Tuesday from the Milwaukee Brewers in the 11th round of the draft, he was on Cloud Nine.

"It's exciting. I've been through the draft a couple times before, and this time I was just ready for it," said Toledo, who was drafted by San Diego in 2007 after his senior year at Alonso and again last year by Minnesota. "(I took it) as another opportunity for me to see if I can go out there and play this year. I thought last year I was ready to go out there and play and get drafted, but the injury kind of set me back a bit."

Toledo, a right-handed pitcher, is 5-3 this season with one save and a 3.21 ERA. He's struck out 31 batters, walked eight and allowed 13 earned runs.

Now, Toledo can turn his full attention to trying to win a national championship with the Gators.

The squad faces Mississippi State in the Super Regionals in Gainesville in a best-of-three series. The winner heads to the College World Series in Omaha, Neb.

"I've enjoyed this year," Toledo said. "This year has been unbelievable with the Gators. Words can't describe how excited I am. Also the draft, it's a big honor to be drafted for the third time."

He really thinks winning a state championship is more important than getting drafted? Boy, wait til he's older and realizes high school is not important at all (save the education). Getting drafted in the MLB or any other sport is far more of a priveledge. And he also seems to be crediting the NC State coaches as though they'd be better off teaching him than the Brewers professional staff. Rodon certainly looks talented but not sure I like his attitude/demeanor at this point. He probably won't sign anyways if he feels he could move up by going to college.

Archived