Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i agree, there has to be a better system, then having a deadling that everyone waits to sign right at. jungmann and bradley completely wasted their 2011 season by signing so late. glad they are in the fold though.

I agree the system is flawed, but both Jungmann and Bradley already threw a full season's worth during the spring for Texas and Georgia Tech respectively. There was never any rush to get either one in the fold.

And don't be surprised if the draft doesn't change as much as some think next year.

And for the record, while the 2012 draft class won't be as strong as the 2011 class, the high school class should be fairly loaded, and if you follow the draft you know that the strength of the college class usually dictates the perceived strength.

Pirates signed Josh Bell who was "unsignable."
Unsignable in terms of the Pirates would have had to give him #1-5 pick money. That is going to be a rather high signing bonus for Bell but he is definitely worth it. I wish the Brewers would have taken him with their first pick and then tried to sign him that would have been great as he is probably going to be one of the better players in this draft.

I agree the system is flawed, but both Jungmann and Bradley already threw a full season's worth during the spring for Texas and Georgia Tech respectively. There was never any rush to get either one in the fold.
I agree with this. I'm fine with Jungmann and Bradley barely throwing for the Brewers. Let them rest and have them come in for 2012. Absolutely no need to overwork them right now. Maybe give them a few innings but that's it.

I agree with this. I'm fine with Jungmann and Bradley barely throwing for the Brewers. Let them rest and have them come in for 2012. Absolutely no need to overwork them right now. Maybe give them a few innings but that's it.

It's a long time between the first week or two of June (when Jungman last threw), earlier with Bradley and the 2012 season. If they get held back for the start of the Pioneer League, you are talking a full year. It would be much more beneficial to their development to take a month off, then ease them back in this season. Mid August is too late. Other college pitchers drafted later and who signed right away benefit from being able to adjust to life as a professional. That's as important as the work on the field.

There's only so long of a shelf life for athletes. Why eliminate a year entirely? To make an extra few hundred thousand in a bonus? If that results in your major league career starting a year later, you push back your post arby years.

What it does tell me about a kid, is he doesn't have full confidence in his abilities. Braun wasted no time signing. He knew he was major league talent.

I'm not really sure where this opinion comes from. Why would it be good to let the muscles deteriorate for a few months and then build them back up again? Injuries happen most often when guys take long breaks and then have to work back into shape. Not to mention the benefit of a Major League medical staff and pitching coaches. I'd be a lot happier to see them sign early, start working on adjustments early, and start monitoring tendinitis type overwork issues early.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

It's a long time between the first week or two of June (when Jungman last threw), earlier with Bradley and the 2012 season. If they get held back for the start of the Pioneer League, you are talking a full year.

Jungmann threw 141 innings this year, that's a ton. Bradley threw 98 which isn't a lot but I still don't have a problem with either of them not pitching this year.

Why eliminate a year entirely? To make an extra few hundred thousand in a bonus? If that results in your major league career starting a year later, you push back your post arby years.

They're both pitchers, pitchers get hurt. There's no reason for them not to get every possible dollar out of a bonus that they can right now because if they get hurt they aren't going to see any of that major league money. That's why Bill should shut up about players getting signed right away completely ignoring the fact that some prospects bust or get hurt, especially pitchers and they won't make it to the majors and get that money.

I've seen it mentioned that Jungmann and Bradley could be sent to the Arizona Fall League. Maybe let them get their feet wet with AZL Brewers or in Helena, then face some tougher competition in the Fall League. I'm more interested in seeing Bradley get some work than Jungmann. 141 innings is a hell of a lot for one year in college, regardless of how durable he is.

Bottom line, I'm excited that we actually have a small stable of legit pitching prospects.

It's a long time between the first week or two of June (when Jungman last threw), earlier with Bradley and the 2012 season. If they get held back for the start of the Pioneer League, you are talking a full year. It would be much more beneficial to their development to take a month off, then ease them back in this season. Mid August is too late. Other college pitchers drafted later and who signed right away benefit from being able to adjust to life as a professional. That's as important as the work on the field.

There's only so long of a shelf life for athletes. Why eliminate a year entirely? To make an extra few hundred thousand in a bonus? If that results in your major league career starting a year later, you push back your post arby years.

What it does tell me about a kid, is he doesn't have full confidence in his abilities. Braun wasted no time signing. He knew he was major league talent.

I dont think you can make a case that Jungmann eliminated a year entirely. He threw 140+ innings this season. If the Brewers are serious about getting him work, he can make a few starts before seasons end, or more likely pitch in a fall league. There are plenty of creative ways to get a guy work if he needs it. Not that Jungmann does coming off of a full workload.

Recent draft picks of the Brewers include Eric Arnett, Kyle Heckathorn, Evan Frederickson, Cody Adams, as well as Rogers and Mike Jones a little farther back from high school. Considering the high bust/injury rate of pitchers, I cant believe someone could fault them for making a few extra HUNDRED THOUSAND dollars in sacrificing 2-2 1/2 months. In Jungmanns case, he likely gained between 500,000-1,000,000 dollars by not signing early. Can you honestly say that you would give that advice to your son as a pitcher drafted in the majors? Leave 500 grand on the table to let the fans out there know you are confident in your abilities. I dont think it is a lack of confidence in ones abilities. I think it is having good representation. Eric Arnett may never get another contract. I dont think you cant fault him for taking advantage of potentially the one time he may have some bargaining power in his career. He has the rest of his life to think about. Having confidence you will make it and planning for the scenario that you dont make it are completely different things.

As a fan, yes, I would love if all of our top picks signed and reported right away. But I would not try to present the case that it is the most logical thing for all of them to do. And as for Ryan Braun, the case with hitters is completely different. And Ryan Braun was the #5 pick in an absolutely loaded draft. He is/was a special talent.

I'm not really sure where this opinion comes from. Why would it be good to let the muscles deteriorate for a few months and then build them back up again? Injuries happen most often when guys take long breaks and then have to work back into shape. Not to mention the benefit of a Major League medical staff and pitching coaches. I'd be a lot happier to see them sign early, start working on adjustments early, and start monitoring tendinitis type overwork issues early.

The opinion comes from me http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Muscles don't deteriorate. I'm sure Jungmann and Bradley were keeping in shape all summer even if they didn't pitch for any organized baseball. Rest is important for pitchers, with plenty of research that suggests a pitcher should not pitch more than X amount of innings per year, and should not exceed X + Y (Y usually being around 25-30 innings) in each year moving forward.

Has it been proven that injuries occur when guys take long breaks and have to work back into shape? The Brewers haven't been particularly good at developing pitchers, so I'm not sure the MLB medical staff/coaching argument applies until they get better doing so.

If we were talking about Jorge Lopez, who I think would have been better off signing right after the draft, I would share a completely different outlook since experience is a lot more crucial to his development, and he didn't have the same amount of wear-and-tear leading up tot he draft.

Bringing up Ryan Braun and how quickly he signed is an apples to oranges comparison since hitters don't face the same fatigue issues that pitchers do at a young age.

Archived