Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

I agree get Bradley and take the 13rd pick next year and I totally agree Jungmann does not sound he happy to be a brewer.

I rather see the Brewers give the money to someone who wants to be a brewer and who the Crew is intrested in bringing in.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jungmann is a kid negotiating a contract. He would have to be semi-%!++!$@* to act as though being drafted by the Brewers was the best thing that ever happened to him.

I can't believe how many of you are badmouthing this kid. With the number of innings he pitched in college this year, it is highly doubtful the Brewers had even a slight desire to sign him early. Most first round picks don'y sign until the deadline. There was less than a 1% chance of this playing out any other way.

He wanted $2 million, and the Brewers offered $1.5 million. Then the Brewers broke off contact, and Jungmann hasn't sounded overly enthused about his negotiation.

Really? The Brewers lowballed him with a below slot offer no one in their right minds would have signed in his position, then vanished from negotiations, and some of you wonder why he hasn't become the world's biggest Brewer fan?

That's how the draft works. He will sign sometime within the last hour for a pile of money, and it will turn out that he was just fine with the Brewers drafting him. By the end of the college season, his velocity dipped, and he lost the last few decisions of his Texas career. Maybe his arm was a little tired? Maybe the time away from the game will be good for him? Seems a lot more likely than him sitting at home, pouting because he doesn't like the Brewers.

That's fine Lithium, but I agree with others. Jungmann doesn't impress me. You don't have to be a **** to negotiate, it's not necessary. You say what Fielder says, the whole "let the chips fall where they may" philosophy. You don't say the stuff that Jungmann was saying initially. I haven't heard the kid say one thing about wanting to play for the Brewers or hoping he gets something done with them.

Then you add in the fact that IMO he has faulty mechanics that will have to be changed if he wants to be successful at the MLB level and you have a guy who's probably better off not getting signed. His velocity is up and down, his command is the same, and regardless of his monster college numbers, even A ball is better than college difficulty.

We'll see but a 13-15th pick, a pick in the 20's and comp picks for Fielder and possibly others next year is way more appealing than having Jungmann at this point.

That's fine Lithium, but I agree with others. Jungmann doesn't impress me. You don't have to be a **** to negotiate, it's not necessary. You say what Fielder says, the whole "let the chips fall where they may" philosophy. You don't say the stuff that Jungmann was saying initially. I haven't heard the kid say one thing about wanting to play for the Brewers or hoping he gets something done with them.

Then you add in the fact that IMO he has faulty mechanics that will have to be changed if he wants to be successful at the MLB level and you have a guy who's probably better off not getting signed. His velocity is up and down, his command is the same, and regardless of his monster college numbers, even A ball is better than college difficulty.

We'll see but a 13-15th pick, a pick in the 20's and comp picks for Fielder and possibly others next year is way more appealing than having Jungmann at this point.

1. Next year's draft is much weaker than this draft. We wouldn't end up with a player of Jungmann's caliber.

2. The 13 pick is all we get, we get the pick in the 20's and Fielder's compensation picks regardless.

3. I don't think you understand how negotiating works. Jungmann has more leverage (which = more money) by not saying anything right now. He's going to end up being a Brewer, he'll be happy about it, and he will make a bunch of money.

Even "I'm excited to get my pro career started" decreases his leverage. If I was him I'd walk into the negotiating room sporting nothing but burnt orange and a Cubs hat.

This what I posted when I got back from Omaha this year. Not sure if it helps but from what I heard about him the kid is okay.

For what it's worth, I talked to a half dozen Texas fans(ages from 20's to 60's) at the CWS last week. Two were just casual fans(and they admitted it to me), and the other 4 were "bleed burnt orange" fans. All 6 of them had nothing bad to say about Jungmann. In fact they all said he was a class act kid who they loved to watch pitch. If anything they said he was a little too competitive and comes off as self centered when in fact he's not, he just wants to win!

There's nothing official in what I say or there's nothing other to back this up, take it for what it's worth. But, I've been to Omaha the last 12 years, meet people each year from different schools/area of the country. (In 2008 I had a great conversation with Jim Morris, if anyone knows who he is, about Ryan Braun. Heck, Morris and I had email conversations about the Brewers/Braun the last week of the 2008 season)

Sometimes, not all of the time, it's more of what's between the ears and in the heart that matters.

I think it's a bit silly to tell a 21 year old kid he should not worry about a few hundred thousand dollars here or there, or label him a problem when he's probably just following the advice of an advisor/agent. In the context of sports chat it's easy to get to the point where $500K doesn't seem like a lot of money but this is real money for these kids and their families. Lower picks have already signed for over $1.5M, so it's clear that Jungmann will be well over that, but I imagine that he'll fall short of $2M; these contracts will start falling like dominoes once a few more come in to mark the trend lines, but nobody wants to leave money on the table so they all wait to use other signings in their negotiations.

I can't blame any first rounder for trying to maximize their payday, particularly a young pitcher like our two picks. Any one of them could easily blow out their arm in their first professional start, making this their only big contract ever. The Brewers' two picks, as college pitchers who threw a lot of innings, probably didn't need the extra workload this summer anyway, so I don't really see that a lot is lost by signing late in those two cases. Plenty of other players could have benefited from the partial season of pro experience though; the system is a bit ridiculous as it has evolved.

The Brewers aren't being held over by anyone. The delay in signing draft picks is almost always the fault of Major league baseball's rules for signing above slot, and is a negotiating ploy used by the teams to cut bonuses. Teams often drastically low ball the players, then vanish until the last moments. The Brewers did exactly this with both their first round picks. The players get an offer they would never consider signing ($1.5 million was reported for Jungmann) and then they don't hear another word from the team until the last day they can sign. What makes you think Jungmann is holding anyone over? Why accuse a 21 year old kid? Even when it is the player's fault, it isn't the player's fault. It is the agents.

Archived