Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
colby, thanks for the profile. I noticed that you listed slider twice (once positive and once negative). Was the second one meant to be his changeup? Also, any projection as to what speed he could reach as he matures?
What I gathered from the report was that Lopez's slider had a tight rotation, but he tended to leave it up int he zone, where presumably, hitters could make something happen.

Via MLBTradeRumors:

1:40pm: Springer's father explained to MLB.com's Brian McTaggart that he and his son met with the Ducks' GM as a contingency in case an agreement can't be reached. Returning to college is not a likely option for Springer.

12:23pm: Astros first-round draft pick George Springer may sign with the independent league Long Island Ducks, tweets @zoodig. This development is a sign that the University of Connecticut outfielder is not close to a deal with the deadline about three weeks away.

The typical bonus for the #11 pick is in the $1.8-2MM range, according to Baseball America.

Probably just a leverage move, but I hope the Brewers don't reach this stage with Jungmann, Bradley, or Lopez.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Via MLBTradeRumors:

1:40pm: Springer's father explained to MLB.com's Brian McTaggart that he and his son met with the Ducks' GM as a contingency in case an agreement can't be reached. Returning to college is not a likely option for Springer.

12:23pm: Astros first-round draft pick George Springer may sign with the independent league Long Island Ducks, tweets @zoodig. This development is a sign that the University of Connecticut outfielder is not close to a deal with the deadline about three weeks away.

The typical bonus for the #11 pick is in the $1.8-2MM range, according to Baseball America.

Probably just a leverage move, but I hope the Brewers don't reach this stage with Jungmann, Bradley, or Lopez.

Does anyone actually go play in the independent leagues? Would the Astros still retain his rights since he'd be playing professionally?
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Does anyone actually go play in the independent leagues? Would the Astros still retain his rights since he'd be playing professionally?

I believe J.D. Drew did this when he was drafted. He had to wait until the next draft to be drafted again.

Trevor Bauer RHP UCLA #3 overall has signed with the D'Backs. $3.4 million signing bonus. This should help set the bar for the other pitchers.

Hopefully Jungmann saw this if he was looking to get in the 3-4 million range. He is not near Bauer level in my mind. 2.5 million is as high as Id be willing to go but prefer even a little less. Bradley as well would be in the 1.5-2.5 mil range i'd assume

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I was expecting Jungmann or Bradely to take a while before signing, but I'm a little disappointed with a few others.

Obviously Lopez would be nice to have delivered. Sounded like it was close, then...??? Hopefully, this will get done soon, now that the July 31st trade deadline is passed.

But there are a couple others that have been pretty quiet. Any news on Michael Reed, Andrew Cain or Mallex Smith? Are they playing summer ball anywhere that people know of?

I consider any of Rodon, Amaral, or McFarland to be a bonus signing, but anything below 15, I would be a little disappointed to lose.

Are they playing summer ball anywhere that people know of?

Oddly enough, Andrew Cain, at least according to UNC Wilmington's summer league reports, isn't playing anywhere this summer. That's odd for a player in his position.

While not part of your list, both Amaral and McFarland were at our WWBA 18U National Championship in Marietta early last month.

Amaral went 4-for-9 with 1 2B, 1 HR, 3 RBI and 3 runs scored. He showed his usual, large, strong frame with good bat speed and extension. He also has a strong arm, although the need for improved throwing mechanics. He does show good quickness behind the plate, particularly for his size. His travel team coach has deep connections to FSU, so I'm guessing Amaral is college bound (if that wasn't already apparent).

McFarland, also likely to be college bound (Rice) was 7-for-15 with 2 2B, 2 HR, 3 RBI and 6 runs scored. He took showed his usual strong, projectable and athletic frame, plus bat speed, quick feet and strong, accurate arm.

Carlos Rodon was supposed to play with Amaral on the Next Level Baseball travel team, but did not.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Thanks for the summer ball update, CJ.

Do the Brewers still have a shot at Rodon, Amaral, or McFarland if a higher pick (say Micheal Reed) doesn't sign and they offer over-slot compensation to make up for that loss? Or has the ship sailed on those three?

He is tall with a huge frame even though he is still real lean. He is pretty raw as a pitcher. He has upside, but is a total project.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

The game was available on ESPN 3. Most games that are on ESPN 3 are available able to be replayed for a short time.

I watched the first 2 innings. Lopez was working at 88-91 and had a curveball around 74. The breaking pitch was not consistent and he struggled at times locating his fastball. I think he hit 3 batters, had 1 WP, and a balk.

I saw the the 2b commit two errors and the first baseman miss a ball that he should have had that was ruled a hit.

http://www.pointstreak.com/baseball/boxscore.html?gameid=54411

The Brewers probably won't reach agreement with their first-round picks, Taylor Jungmann and Jed Bradley, before Monday, according to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel (via Twitter).

This would be an epic failure and would really hurt our farm system

This would be an epic failure and would really hurt our farm system
I think people are way misunderstanding that tweet. Teams have until 11pm CDT on Monday to sign the picks. Signing them tomorrow instead of today is not an epic failure. Unless another Covey-ish thing comes up, they will be signed. On Monday.

Kirk Bohls of the Austin American Statesman: "All-American Taylor Jungmann, the national Pitcher of the Year, isn't close in his negotiations with the Brewers, who took him with the 12th pick overall, but he will sign before the 11 p.m. deadline today. He's been offered $1.5 million but wants $2 million, a source said."

The slot recommendation for the number nine pick is around 2 million dollars. If the Brewers are only 500k off I would eat it and let the kid have his way. Especially since we failed to sign Covey last season.

Kirk Bohls of the Austin American Statesman: "All-American Taylor Jungmann, the national Pitcher of the Year, isn't close in his negotiations with the Brewers, who took him with the 12th pick overall, but he will sign before the 11 p.m. deadline today. He's been offered $1.5 million but wants $2 million, a source said."

The slot recommendation for the number nine pick is around 2 million dollars. If the Brewers are only 500k off I would eat it and let the kid have his way. Especially since we failed to sign Covey last season.

I hope the Crew does what it takes to get both in the fold.

Archived