Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Adam McCalvy and Audrey Snider/MLB.com

MILWAUKEE -- When the University of Texas was bounced from the College World Series on Monday, it opened the door for negotiations between the Brewers and their top Draft pick, junior right-hander Taylor Jungmann.

The Brewers have until 11 p.m. CT on Aug. 15 to agree to signing bonuses with their remaining unsigned picks from the First-Year Player Draft. That list includes Jungmann, the 12th overall selection, and Georgia Tech left-hander Jed Bradley, the 15th overall pick.

"We have talked with [Jungmann] since he was drafted, and our scout has been in contact with him through the regionals and [College World Series], so naturally the door opens up to start negotiating," Brewers scouting director Bruce Seid wrote in an e-mail. "He had a more-than-normal workload, so we understand the need for him to catch his breath, and we look forward to sitting down shortly."

Jungmann's 141-inning workload paid off when he was honored Tuesday with college baseball's version of the Heisman --- the Dick Howser Trophy, presented for the last 25 years to the collegiate player of the year. He was 13-3 with a 1.60 ERA, five complete games and 125 strikeouts while leading Texas back to the College World Series.

Jungmann's sensational season ended on a low note, with losses in his final three starts, including an 8-4 loss to Florida on Saturday in the Longhorns' opening game of the College World Series. His 4 1/3-inning stint was his shortest start of the season, and he allowed five runs (four earned) on two doubles and a single, four walks, a hit batsman and two wild pitches.

Its really odd that Drew Gagnon and Lopez have yet to sign. Both you'd figure were going to be easy signs. Lopez is not a high college commitment guy and seemed like he really wanted to get going. Gagnon is another guy who seemed wanted to quickly get in and get started. With Bradley, Jungmann, and Reed I figured they where more difficult signs that would take some time but I se no reason why Gagnon, Lopez, and Ramirez are not locked up and starting rookie ball. I am so happy we have signed more 40th round- UDF than we have top 20 picks....priorities due not seem to be there. Lets go and get these boys signed Seid! Lets not waste 2 1/2 months of rookie ball, many really need it.

I also find it really interest that we have heard zero about Bradley. My guess is he wants to go back to the Cod and make every hitter look like a fool like he did last year (Cape Cod made him a top 10 worthy pick alone last summer). If he can do that again, he can force the Brewers hand to pay up top 5-10 money instead of 15. That is just a guess through.

Jungmanns arm is prob close to maxed out for the year anyway, so if he doesn't sign until late that will be alright. I much have him sign late, get down to Arizona and learn to use throse long legs a little bit before he hits the mound. He is wasting 3-5 MPH and beating the crap out of his arm with his jerky, violent mechanics. I think the pitching coach in BC could be a big help with that with the work he did with Scarpetta last year in geting Cody to use his legs better. Hopefully he will be the a pitching coach that is around him alot.

You are right, Kricket. I was mostly venting. Still, why can't they have both? Our team is one that should be leading the league in amateur spending. It is the best way for us to stay competitive. I am talking 6,7,..10 million every year. That is a very solid investment. What am I missing?

I agree. with the state of the current system, one would hope we get as many young kids with potential in as soon as possible. I was just making the point that since we are on a budget, the lost time negotiating for a few weeks may be worth the money saved. In three weeks, if we are still seeing most of the top 20 guys unsigned, then we will start to show some concern.

And you dont have to convince me on a large amateur talent budget. Not only is it a prudent investment (especially for a team like the Brewers), it is so much fun to follow.

I don't think anyone should expect Jungmann or Bradley to sign anytime soon. Jungmann threw what, 140+ innings this year? That is about the max you would let a 'normal' college pitcher throw between his spring and summer outings. The Brewers should be in no rush to get him out on the field, as I would be fine, and probably would prefer, if he were shut down until instrux.

And Bradley was just shy of 100 IP. It would be nice to see him get another 30-40, but again, there's no rush to get him in the fold.

It's not surprising that only 4 first-rounders have signed, and 3 of those were among the final 5 picks of the round. All 4 were perceived to be relative signability picks, and considering this could be the last year that there isn't a cap of some sort on what these players could sign for, you're likely going to see quite a few of these 1st rounders wait until the August 15 deadline to sign.

It would be nice to get Lopez signed within the next 1-2 weeks. He could use the experience stateside.

Hey Colby, do you think Lopez could become a top of the rotation starter? Many people think he has the highest upside among the Brewers' draft picks, and I think he could add another 2-3 mph to his fastball.

And also, what do you think about Jed Bradley's slider? Some people say that it's just an average pitch, while others are saying that it flashes plus.

Sure, Lopez has the potential to be a top of the rotation guy. He has the size and good command relative to his age and experience, and his stuff could improve given all of that. I still like Bradley the best of the Brewers picks, and yes, his slider flashes plus. Very good fastball/slider combo.

• 2 weeks later...
Still absolutely no news on Jed Bradley negotiations? Meanwhile, CJ Cron has signed a week ago and as a 1.384 OPS with 2 HRs in 4 games. Just saying. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I'm still pretty unsure about Jed Bradley's upside, though. Some people say that he's a mid-rotation starter, while others say that he's a TOR starter.

Also I'm still bummed out about the Brewers skipping out on Guerrieri and Barnes. Both of them would have been better picks than Jungmann.

I agree, but I bet the teams would disagree as they like to follow players throughout the summer to make some final decisions.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Does anybody have any idea what Summer Leagues any of these guys are in? Are any of these guys playing right now? I did a quick look through the stats for each team in Cape Cod League today, but I didn't see any Brewers draftees - but I could have easily missed somebody.

Why would any top 2-3 round pick play summer ball and risk tearing up an arm before they sign?? A position player I could see, but not a pitcher. Not worth the risk.
As I just said: if they have something to prove, like Anthony Ranaudo last year. Baseball Prospectus:
DL: Who initiated you pitching on the Cape?

AR: I had talked to my advisor, who is my agent now, Scott Boras, and some of his men—some of the guys who work for him, like Bob Brower, Jim Pizzolatto, and Scott Chiamparino. We all sat down and they asked me how I felt toward the end of the year at LSU, and I said, “You know what, I really wish I could have four, five, six more starts; that would be perfect, because my arm feels the best it has all year. I’m finally getting into a rhythm.” They said, “Well, what about going to pitch in summer ball?” I was like, “I haven’t really thought about that.” I sat down with my coaches at LSU and they were open to it; if I came back [to LSU], they’d be OK with it. And it was good for me. I got more innings; I got up to 85 innings for the year. So it was a collective decision between a couple groups of people.

I thought this story might interest some people here. Jorge Lopez is playing at the 18U BCS tournament in Fort Myers, Fla. this week:

http://www.perfectgame.or...s/View.aspx?article=6054

Lopez struck out 6 in a 3 inning appearance last Sunday. Here's his scouting report (sorry if the chart at the bottom doesn't format/tab properly, but he was up to 91 in this game):

Gen

Top Prospect

Physical Description: Large frame, Projectable frame, Room to fill

P

Control (Positive): Good command, Shows control on both sides of plate, Throws strikes

Arm Action (Positive): Good extension out front, Throws easy, Good follow through, Arm works well

Pitch Approach: Has mound presence, Works fast, Attacks hitters

FB Movement: Armside run on FB, Life on FB

Misc: Projectable stuff

Slider (Positive): Tight rotation, Average SL

Curveball (Positive): Plus CB

Slider (Negative): Leaves up in zone

Delivery (Positive): Balanced delivery

Fastball: Keeps FB down, Plus FB

Arm Angle: High 3/4 arm angle

Type Number 80% Low 80% Avg 80% High 100% Low 100% Avg 100% High

FB 21 87 88 91 87 88 91

CB 4 77 77 78 77 77 78

SL 4 77 77 79 77 77 79

CH 1 81 81 81 81 81 81

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
colby, thanks for the profile. I noticed that you listed slider twice (once positive and once negative). Was the second one meant to be his changeup? Also, any projection as to what speed he could reach as he matures?

The scouting report is simply copied and pasted from our new GameChanger feature at Perfect Game. We now have a member of our staff scout every game from our events using an iPad. That includes the play-by-play, box score and scouting reports, which are a premium features. So, those aren't my notes, but the notes of the person that watched the game. When they add a scouting report item, that is just how it appears, with notes added, good and bad, line-by-line. It's a really cool feature, something that friends and family members have been taking advantage of to follow their kids/friends results from afar.

In-house, we now use those notes to add to the individual player profiles in our database. Now we need an iPad with a radar gun attached to it, or better yet, a radar gun app.

As for Lopez' ceiling, he definitely has the physical projection to throw more consistently in the low-90s, with the ability to reach the mid-90s as he has already done. I think the comparison to Gallardo is fairly solid, since neither guy is really a flamethrower, at least not consistently, but they have the ability to do so.

Archived