Not to rekindle some of the earlier debates, but when there's grumbling

about low-ceiling college players this pick is where my complaints lie. I

don't have any problems with the pitchers we took, but what does

Ramirez bring to the system that we don't already have with Gamel,

Halton, Morris and Hawn? Especially after taking Morris and Hawn last

year. I hope this isn't a trend where we burn a 4th or 5th rounder every

year on a college 1b with AAAA written all over him. Sorry for the

negativity.

Speaking as someone who bleeds negativity that was a really weak attempt. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I agree with the sentiments. I had been very happy with rounds 1-3 as there is no clear "Arnett, what the heck are you thinking" moments for any of the picks. Like the Lopez pick at 2 as it is clearly not a Jack Z cursed player pick, but decent upside. Ramirez would probably still be around in rounds 6-7 and that's the highest we should have sent a flyer on him. Their BPA list must have been dropped on the floor and somebody mistook page 14 for the top of the pile.....

Michael Reed. That's more exciting. Not an easy sign. BA's #160. Here's the scouting report:

Reed has created mixed opinions among Texas area scouts this spring. Those who buy into his strong 6-foot, 210-pound body and tools think he could fit in the second or third rounds, while others who worry about his lack of polish see him as more of a sixth- to 10th-rounder. His proponents think he profiles nicely as a right fielder who swings the bat with authority from the right side of the plate and backs up his raw power with plus speed and arm strength. Others think he has a mature, maxed-out frame and does everything with a lot of effort, and that he's a fringe to average runner. Reed also pitches, reaching 90 mph with his fastball, and he'll see action as a two-way player if he attends Mississippi. It may take second-round money to sign him away from Ole Miss, for whom his father Benton played football en route to a brief NFL career.

Reed could be a tough sign, has a commitment to Ole Miss. This is where you put that money you didn't spend earlier.

Edit: As Listach said, second round money. I think it's a protected pick too.

Yes. Feel free to keep using this thread to talk about the Brewers' picks from the first 5 rounds, but use the 6-20 thread for picks made in those rounds, just so we can keep things organized.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Interesting note from Yount19's link

Reed declined to divulge what his exact contract demands will be, but he said his contract would have to be more valuable than his Ole Miss scholarship.

"I don't care what round I go in as long as I get that number that I want," Reed said. "Round is just an ego thing."

Honestly I am not to worried about the Brewers being able to sign Reed. That may be blind faith but the Brewers do an amazing job at getting their top 10 Round Picks signed. My guess is the Brewers bust out an offer in the 650,000 to 750,000 range with the Enhanced College Scholarship package they seem to offer up frequently.

I find it interesting that the Brewers have fixated on taller pitchers, yet they tend to draft outfielders on the shorter side. I understand there is a durability issue for pitchers that doesn't exist for position players. But it still seems out of whack to value body type so much for one type of player and not another.

Archived