Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe we just killed 2 birds with 1 stone. Future 1st baseman and closer. First 40/40 guy (40 HR/40 Saves)?
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

This is my least favorite pick so far. #197 on BA's board. Here's the report:

Multiple scouts used the phrase "a really tough one" when evaluating Ramirez this spring. He's had a tremendous college career, starring for three seasons as the primary power threat in the heart of Cal State Fullerton's order as well as the team's closer. Some scouts prefer him as a pitcher. He has good feel for a solid four-pitch mix, including an 86-90 fastball, a plus changeup, a solid slider and curveball. But Ramirez wants to be a hitter, and the majority of scouts prefer him as a first baseman. After his monstrous sophomore season, Ramirez struggled to adjust to wood bats last summer with Team USA, causing some scouts to wonder if his lefthanded swing is more tailored to metal bats. He has undeniable strength in his bulky 6-foot-3, 225-pound frame, leading to above-average raw power but average game power. He does not have elite bat speed, and he sometimes exhibits an arm bar in his swing, making him vulnerable on the inner half. He uses his hands well and excels at lacing hard line drives into the left-center gap, and he has a chance to be an average hitter. Most of his home run power is to center-right, and he's gotten better at turning on balls. He's an average defender at first base, with soft hands but limited range. Ramirez could be drafted anywhere from the fourth to the 10th round.

Ramirez didn't hit much this year, and hit poorly for Team USA with wood bats. His past production seems to be a product of metal bats. Not an inspiring pick. Seems similar to the Cal 1B they picked several years ago in this round.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Baseball America on Nick Ramirez:

Multiple scouts used the phrase "a really tough one" when evaluating

Ramirez this spring. He's had a tremendous college career, starring for

three seasons as the primary power threat in the heart of Cal State

Fullerton's order as well as the team's closer. Some scouts prefer him

as a pitcher. He has good feel for a solid four-pitch mix, including an

86-90 fastball, a plus changeup, a solid slider and curveball. But

Ramirez wants to be a hitter, and the majority of scouts prefer him as a

first baseman. After his monstrous sophomore season, Ramirez struggled

to adjust to wood bats last summer with Team USA, causing some scouts to

wonder if his lefthanded swing is more tailored to metal bats. He has

undeniable strength in his bulky 6-foot-3, 225-pound frame, leading to

above-average raw power but average game power. He does not have elite

bat speed, and he sometimes exhibits an arm bar in his swing, making him

vulnerable on the inner half. He uses his hands well and excels at

lacing hard line drives into the left-center gap, and he has a chance to

be an average hitter. Most of his home run power is to center-right,

and he's gotten better at turning on balls. He's an average defender at

first base, with soft hands but limited range. Ramirez could be drafted

anywhere from the fourth to the 10th round.

Not to rekindle some of the earlier debates, but when there's grumbling about low-ceiling college players this pick is where my complaints lie. I don't have any problems with the pitchers we took, but what does Ramirez bring to the system that we don't already have with Gamel, Halton, Morris and Hawn? Especially after taking Morris and Hawn last year. I hope this isn't a trend where we burn a 4th or 5th rounder every year on a college 1b with AAAA written all over him. Sorry for the negativity.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Nothing against him directly (as I know nothing), but I don't care for the Ramirez pick. I'm all for BPA, but at this point in the draft, there must be several players that are pretty much ranked the same. And if there is something in our system that we are not lacking, its players limited to LF/1B.

I would think there would be a SS/3B/2B/C type that would have been rated the same.

edit- looks like ListachRides and I where thinking alike...

I'm honestly a bit surprised the Brewers took Lopez over Daniel Norris. Norris had mid first round written all over him, and even if he had some issues or something, at 70 that's still a pretty nice deal. Oh well, Lopez seems to be a nice upside pick as well anyways.

I'm honestly a bit surprised the Brewers took Lopez over Daniel Norris. Norris had mid first round written all over him, and even if he had some issues or something, at 70 that's still a pretty nice deal. Oh well, Lopez seems to be a nice upside pick as well anyways.

Probably not signable at that point. At least not realistically. He's still not gone as far as I can tell.

The massive difference in price tag leaves me not surprised at all

Archived