Brewer Fanatic

Bring up Taylor Green?

endaround
Yuni's buyout is guaranteed money. As far as where that money is sitting right now, only the accountants know for sure.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think they are going to give McGehee a long leash to right himself. He has been getting a few "timely" singles in recent games, so that's just enough for RR to trot him out there every day for another month.

I am confident Betancourt won't be starting at ss after the deadline. Doug probably has inquiries out there right now, but it's too early for any deals.

He's reached the end of that leash in my opinion and did awhile ago. He's not Prince or Braun with a track record. He had two solid years in MLB, after not that great numbers in the minors. He's been absolutely horrid this year. He hasn't hit a HR in over a month, has virtually no power and is awful defensively. This is supposed to be our season to "go for it". Watching Casey have poor at bat after poor at bat is just killing the lineup. Let Green have a shot, he really can't do much worse can he?

Oh, I agree with you. I just think they will try and fix the Betancourt situation, then add to the bullpen before they figure do anything about McGehee. I could be wrong though; now that I think about it, it's much simpler to bring up Green than try and trade for a ss or reliever. Guess that's the whole point of this topic, eh?

Yuni's buyout is guaranteed money. As far as where that money is sitting right now, only the accountants know for sure.
Has anyone determined if the money Seattle sent to KC was sent to the Brewers? Seattle was paying KC $1m for this year, so is Betancourt costing the Brewers $4m or $3m?

According to b-ref.com, KC is paying Milwaukee $2 million of Betancourt's salary. Seattle agreed to pay KC $1.38 million of 2010 salary.

According to Cott's KC is paying Milwaukee $2 million of his salary and Seattle agreed to pay KC $1 million for 2010 and $1 million for 2011.

My guess is if Seattle is paying $1 million of his salary for this year, it's part of the $2 million KC is passing on to the Brewers.

Either way you look at it, Brewers are paying $2 million for this year, and will have to pay $2 million buyout option unless they DFA or waiver him and another team takes a flyer. That's how Toronto got out of Alex Rios' contract.

I just wonder how much longer the lineup will struggle before Melvin makes some roster moves. Brewers are 3-7 over their last ten games. I realize it's not panic time, but it would be nice to do something while still tied for first. It seems like Melvin can be really stubborn making changes.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

It seems like Melvin can be really stubborn making changes.

I agree. I like Melvin more than most but he does seem to stick with guys he brought in too long. Yuni should not be on the team and Casey should be sitting for a while.

I've said all along they'll give Casey until the All Star break to turn it around. Is that too long of a leash? Probably. Should he be kept in the 5 hole in the meantime? No. That's the part that bothers me the most. While Yuni may be very replaceable, he's not costing the Brewers wins any where near the level Casey is by having him hit 5th.

I've also said all along I don't like the idea of a platoon. Casey has some serious issues to work out, and it's not going to happen sitting on the bench. He needs to take a week off around the All Star break, then report to Nashville. Bring Green up. Wilson can hit against lefties, or even give Green a chance here and there. I hate to not even give a guy a chance to hit against same handedness. There are four possible outcomes:

1) Green continues to hit, and Casey continues to struggle- even in Nashville. 3B problem WHOAA SOLVD. You made the right decision.

2) Casey figures it out, and his bat works again. Green struggles at MLB. Once again, problem solved. Bring Casey back up.

3) They both peform well. Bring Casey back up and platoon. Or even send Green back down if Casey really comes on strong.

4) Neither one can hit. Well, you go to plan C but they're no worse off than having a .600 OPS hitter in the 5 spot currently. And at least they tried Green.

One more thing. I am very impressed with how Green really picked up the pace the more Csey has struggled. He's not stupid, he knows there's a window of opportunity and he's doing everything he can to force the Brewers to bring him up. These are the type of guys that tend to make it, players that seize the opportunity.

I just wonder how much longer the lineup will struggle before Melvin makes some roster moves. Brewers are 3-7 over their last ten games. I realize it's not panic time, but it would be nice to do something while still tied for first. It seems like Melvin can be really stubborn making changes.

Other than the disappointing Cubs series, The Brewers have probably done as well as can be expected. Maybe a game worse.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Other than the disappointing Cubs series, The Brewers have probably done as well as can be expected. Maybe a game worse.

logan, you can't just take that series out of the equation though...just like you can't take that one bad inning out of most of Narveson's starts that Schroeder keeps talking about in the broadcasts. The reality is that something HAS to be done about the hole behind Prince now, while the Crew is in first and the Living Statue is out for up to the next six weeks in St. Louis. I know Green hasn't "proven" it for a whole year in AAA, but he's been really impressive and has earned a chance.

Every team is going to have a bad series now and then. If we want to talk about making a move based on how players have performed over the entire season, fine. Talking about making a move based on any 10 game stretch is pretty absurd.

I blame Wang.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'd be happy to give Green a try.

Bring him up, give him a few starts at 3B, light a fire under Casey. Or it gives us a (potentially) more useful lefthanded bat on the bench than what we have.

But most of all, cut Yuni and let Counsel and Wilson (or some other guy) get the job at SS.

The reality is that something HAS to be done about the hole behind Prince now...
There is no good reason why Hart isn't batting 5th now. He's damnear the perfect 5 hole hitter. I'd follow with Lucroy 6th, Casey 7th.

I'd be happy to give Green a try.

Bring him up, give him a few starts at 3B, light a fire under Casey. Or it gives us a (potentially) more useful lefthanded bat on the bench than what we have.

But most of all, cut Yuni and let Counsel and Wilson (or some other guy) get the job at SS.

I really, really don't think 'lighting a fire' under Casey would help, because I don't think he's lazy at all. He's looked better in the past 1-2 weeks than he has all season, but I would still drop him in the order to 7. That would be the next step, and if he can't produce there, then it's time to give someone else (Green) some playing time to see if he can be an upgrade going into the end of the season.

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

He's looked better in the past 1-2 weeks than he has all season, but I would still drop him in the order to 7.

Over his last 7 games, McGehee is hitting .227/.250/.273. He might be "looking better," but he sure isn't playing better.

Don't look now, but Yuni B now has a higher OPS than McGehee.
Did not expect that to happen this season. Crazy.

And if it were to happen, I thought it would be closer to .700 than .600.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Don't look now, but Yuni B now has a higher OPS than McGehee.
Higher just makes it sound like its good. Can we say YuniB has a slightly less terrible OPS than McGehee?

Its time for some Taylor Green. Seriously.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I think Taylor Green has earned his shot. Now that his wrists seem fully recovered, it appears he's getting back to being the hitter they we're hoping he could be.

The Brewers bench has really been an overlooked weak spot this season. Defensive flexibility is nice, but you need at least one guy you can count on to come up with a clutch hit. Right now, really missing anyone who is making any opposing pitcher shake when they step up to the plate. I assume that most want to see if Green can outperform McGehee, but I suppose either way, any sort of offensive upgrade to the 25-man is welcomed, whether it come as a starter or off the bench.

MadtownStadley wrote:

Defensive flexibility is nice,

if your guys can play good defense.

This bench really does nothing well. Can't hit and, other than Gomez/Morgan, they don't really bring good defense either.

I blame Wang.

Archived