Brewer Fanatic

Bring up Taylor Green?

endaround
You just seem so emotionally invested in your current views of baseball that there's really no sense in debating it on a public forum. If you have any interest in having your views challenged, I can point you to dozens of studies.
Rluz, could you point me to a study about the predictive power of the MLE models? I'd be interested in reading up on that.

Generally, I agree with the sentiment that MLE's are a fun toy which at best paint a rough picture of what to expect in the majors. I'll emphasize the "fun toy" part of that sentence.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Casey may well be injured. If he is having more knee problems, he is unlikely to improve much this year. From my observation, admittedly small, he seems to be even slower than usual lately. A healthy Green might be a better option if that's the case.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm not involved in this, but would like to learn more about lots of these metrics. FIP, xFIP, and BABIP are just letters to me. I know I could research them all individually, but any good resources for noobs?
I would go to a site like Fangraphs.com They have glossaries and articles explaining all the Saber stats.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 2 weeks later...

Taylor Green goes 2 for 4 in the early game and is 1 for 1 with a bomb in the latter tonight, just saying.

I know it doesn't always translate to the majors but I would have to think Melvin/RR are seriously considering it. At least I hope they are.

I am all for bringing Taylor Green up at this point. My question is who's place does he take on the 25 man roster? I would say Counsell or Wilson. I think I would rather have Wilson than Counsell.

Or maybe they bring Green up and drop Kotsay. That would be best case scenario but then you only have one backup OF. I was hoping that when/if they drop Kotsay they would recall Brandon Boggs.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Or maybe they bring Green up and drop Kotsay. That would be best case scenario but then you only have one backup OF. I was hoping that when/if they drop Kotsay they would recall Brandon Boggs.

I'd take it one step further and make two moves. DFA Kotsay, call up Boggs. DFA Yuni and call up Green.

It's unreal that we're nearing the end of June and we're still arguing over roster moves that should of been made right out of spring training. Ugh. It makes me want to puke.

1250 wssp had a pole on their web page asking what option you would prefer if Casey continues to struggle at third. There were four or five choices, but none were Taylor Green which seems like the most logical. Do they have any clue what's going on?

Do they have any clue what's going on?
Not really.

I really do think Green needs to come up. McGehee might be having bad luck, but ultimately he hasn't been producing this year.

Gamel isn't a solution since he hasn't been playing 3B for some time. Call Green up and give him some starts. See what happens. We can't keep giving games away due to crummy lineups like we have been lately.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I am all for bringing Taylor Green up at this point. My question is who's place does he take on the 25 man roster? I would say Counsell or Wilson. I think I would rather have Wilson than Counsell.

I'd look for a way to sneak Wilson to AAA so we have him in case of injury. He's not playing anyway, so might as well get his reps in at Nashville. It's not like Maysonet is the answer.

It's unreal that we're nearing the end of June and we're still arguing over roster moves that should of been made right out of spring training. Ugh. It makes me want to puke

What gets me is that we have in-house solutions at 3B and backup OF and we're not using them. SS is harder because we don't have an in-house option, but why we continue to keep three bad SS's on the MLB roster instead of bringing up either Taylor Green as a LH option at 3B or Boggs as a good, switch-hitting bat off the bench is mind-boggling. We're forced to watch Casey struggle everyday and see either Wilson or Gomez as our primary RH bat in crucial late-game situations, so I'd be happy to see either of those things remedied. Both of them getting fixed would be even better.

A secondary result of this poor roster management is that with Wheeler healthy, Green is playing 2B and Farris is sitting the bench. He may not be in the future plans for the Brewers, but at least he's a good trade chip. Some GM would really value those high SB numbers, which he can't pile up on the bench. Bringing up Green makes sense for the Brewers' roster (very important) and Nashville's roster (not as important, but still something the GM should consider).

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

1250 wssp had a pole on their web page asking what option you would prefer if Casey continues to struggle at third.

Was he from Warsaw? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

1250 wssp had a pole on their web page asking what option you would prefer if Casey continues to struggle at third.

Was he from Warsaw? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Nope, he's a pitching coach.

http://yepyep.gibbs12.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/b__dick_pole_76.jpg

Betancourt. It's an obvious move, unless of course you're committed to seeing just how long McGehee can continue to drag down the middle of the lineup. Or you're committed to the notion that Betancourt does anything well enough to stick ahead of Counsell & Wilson.

Here are Gomez's, Betancourt's, & McGehee's season OPS numbers right now. Can you tell which one is Casey's?

.607, .601, .596

It's ironic to me. McGehee got his shot back in '09 when a supposedly 'established' MLB hitter in Bill Hall was starting to prove that his small sample of MLB success was a mirage. Now here we sit just two seasons later, with an almost identical situation, but Casey is now the proven commodity with a Track Record™. Bill Hall's 2009 OPS with the Brewers? .606.

The sooner the Brewers say enough is enough with McGehee, & get Green up to play against RHP, the better off they'll be... especially if Betancourt or Kotsay winds up being the 25-man roster casualty.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Or you're committed to the notion that Betancourt does anything well enough to stick ahead of Counsell & Wilson.

That's basically comparing three turds and deciding which is the shiniest. Counsell's not good, but he's left-handed, so he stays. I'd try moving Wilson to AAA as insurance, and I doubt anyone claims him, so we could probably get him there. If we think we don't need insurance, and are confident in Counsell playing every day, or having Maysonet in a MLB platoon if we have an injury, then we cut Betancourt.

Really, if we lost any of our three current MLB SS's, it wouldn't be too big a deal. Bringing up Green makes us a better team, and if brought up he should be given the opportunity to play and not stuck to rot on the bench.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

That's basically comparing three turds and deciding which is the shiniest. Counsell's not good, but he's left-handed, so he stays. I'd try moving Wilson to AAA as insurance, and I doubt anyone claims him, so we could probably get him there.

This is all true. I guess at this point I'm comfortable in thinking Wilson is a better fielder than Betancourt, and both are awful hitters. So my vote would be to keep the one that's marginally better on defense. No one would claim Betancourt either.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Sure, if some other team were dumb enough to claim him instead of waiting a few days and picking him up for league minimum.

Edit: Actually, let me restate that. We'd be completely off the hook if some team claimed him. I believe KC is already paying us for the 2012 buyout.

~Bill Walsh

I think they are going to give McGehee a long leash to right himself. He has been getting a few "timely" singles in recent games, so that's just enough for RR to trot him out there every day for another month.

I am confident Betancourt won't be starting at ss after the deadline. Doug probably has inquiries out there right now, but it's too early for any deals.

Sure, if some other team were dumb enough to claim him instead of waiting a few days and picking him up for league minimum.

Edit: Actually, let me restate that. We'd be completely off the hook if some team claimed him. I believe KC is already paying us for the 2012 buyout.

I was under the impression that we just got the money to cover the buyout. So we could have spent that money elsewhere already.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I think they are going to give McGehee a long leash to right himself. He has been getting a few "timely" singles in recent games, so that's just enough for RR to trot him out there every day for another month.

I am confident Betancourt won't be starting at ss after the deadline. Doug probably has inquiries out there right now, but it's too early for any deals.

He's reached the end of that leash in my opinion and did awhile ago. He's not Prince or Braun with a track record. He had two solid years in MLB, after not that great numbers in the minors. He's been absolutely horrid this year. He hasn't hit a HR in over a month, has virtually no power and is awful defensively. This is supposed to be our season to "go for it". Watching Casey have poor at bat after poor at bat is just killing the lineup. Let Green have a shot, he really can't do much worse can he?

Archived