Brewer Fanatic

Bring up Taylor Green?

endaround
With McGehee seriously scuffling and his OBP about to fall below .300 it maybe time for a bit of a shakeup. Now Green's overall line in AAA is OK, .277/.360/.466, it obscures the fact that he has a huge platoon split and is killing right handers to a tune of .308/.394/.551 while hitting like Yuni against left handers. So should the Brewers bring him up to split time with McGehee? This would also of course significantly improve the Brewers bench with Green able to cover 2B and 3B if need be and be a true bat off the bench. I really don't know but given the slim pickings in the trade market for 3B is the most likely and cheapest shot the Brewers have.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fickle fans. A couple bad months and now McGehee is not the hitter he was a couple years ago? For shame.

Nah, he looks like the hitter he was three years ago in 2008. And the hitter he was in 2007. Honestly McGehee was always one of those prime peak guys that you should be careful with.

Fickle fans. A couple bad months and now McGehee is not the hitter he was a couple years ago? For shame.

Nah, he looks like the hitter he was three years ago in 2008. And the hitter he was in 2007. Honestly McGehee was always one of those prime peak guys that you should be careful with.

I don't disagree that McGehee should be or should have been replaced before the season. It is just sort of disappointing to see so many people turn on him after a couple bad months.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Green and Kottaras up, Casey and Nieves to Nashville. Or Nieves can be DFA for all I care. Then they should bring up Katin to DH vs Boston, would love to see that. Just move him back and forth on the roster with Wilson when they need a DH.

I think we all like McGehee, so it's not about being a "bad fan." He over-produced for a couple years, which is great, but now reality is sinking in. I'm sure he's still a better hitter than he's shown, but hos confidence is shot as a hitter and as a fielder. Give him a few weeks in Nashville to build up his confidence, and give Green a shot!

What does Green offer? He has had a good month of AAA ball so that means it should translate? McGehee will be fine, slumps like this happen. It is too bad Gamel is no longer an option however. Id be much more willing to call up a big league starting bat over a utility bat. Green needs much more time and to prove himself

Green is already pretty old for a minor leaguer, what's "much more time"?

At some point McGehee will start hitting again but I wish people would quit treating him like he's in the sane class as the players at the top of the line-up, he's not. He's probably the least talented and athletic player with an everyday starting job, it's between him and Betancourt. Yes he over achieved and has made the most of what he has, no one can take that away from him. However he's always been replaceable, all league average players are.

What I mean is, he's the type of player that you are happy with when you don't have anyone better, but he's not the type of player who should ever stand in the way of a more talented prospect. He's like Overbay was at 1B, those players make room for legit talent when it arrives. As the Brewers don't have any legit prospects on the entire left side of the infield, his job is secure for the moment, but he's always been someone the Brewers could live without.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The team is winning despite McGehee's recent struggles. They need to give him until at least the All Star break to see if he can get out of it. There's no need to turn to a rookie just yet. Green has played just 46 AAA games. He's definitely working himself back in the picture perhaps even at some point this year, but another 150 AB's at AAA wouldn't hurt him. It's still a big jump to the majors especially to a team in a race.

So start platooning McGehee because he's had a bad few months because you think he's the hitter he was back in 2008 and 2007, when he wasn't getting regular time in the majors...and then turn to justify his platoon replacement who's had a decent few months in AAA?

I love being able to use both sides of an argument to form an opinion on two players.

Who is looking at what McGehee did in the majors in 2007 and 2008? And of course McGehee is only a starting player because Hall had a bad few months while he hit unexpectedly well.

McGehee ZiPS® .264/.318/.413 And that's assuming his power returns.

So long as they keep winning; McGehee probably isn't going anywhere. But if they go on a losing streak and Casey is still playing like this it shouldn't be a huge suprise if a move is made whether it be Green or someone else

Let's not forget Taylor Green had some pretty nice seasons (in low A and high A so who knows how much stock to put into that) before getting hurt. I believe he broke his wrist? Not saying he is the answer, but Casey shouldn't be part of this team's long-term plans. If he is, I hope it is as a bench player and even at that I'm not sure I like it. It's nothing against Casey, but even if his bat comes around his range isn't all that great. For a team that needs defense and we keep asking for it, Casey isn't part of the solution IMO.

Who is looking at what McGehee did in the majors in 2007 and 2008? And of course McGehee is only a starting player because Hall had a bad few months while he hit unexpectedly well.

McGehee ZiPS® .264/.318/.413 And that's assuming his power returns.

I'll put more stock into what McGehee did the last two seasons in the majors instead of framing a projection based off what he did in 2007 and 2008 when he was playing in the minors and occasionally in the bigs. You took McGehee's stats from 3 & 4 seasons ago to justify your argument while using the last month's worth of stats from a minor leaguer to start giving Green more than 1/2 the starts at 3B in the majors.

I agree that McGehee shouldn't be hitting 5th in the lineup, but I disagree with calling up a career minor leaguer to start getting bunches of ABs for a team that's in playoff contention.

Community Moderator

How is it fair to not look at what he did as a full time player in the bigs the last two years? Can you really say he "over produced" for two years? We only have minor league numbers to look at before that. I feel like it's pretty bold to do that compared to two years of major league numbers.

As many have said, he's not a stud, and I don't think many thought he was before this year. I agree that if we get avg or better (we did the last two years) we are sitting pretty with him. He's struggling right now but I feel like he'll get out of it. I agree, keep giving him days off, especially against tough righties. Hopefully he can keep working the cages with Dale and figure this out.

I don't think he's great but he's been very solid for us for two years, I think he deserves a chance to right the ship. That being said, I have no problem bringing up a guy in a month to split time with him if he continues to struggle.

Can you really say he "over produced" for two years? We only have minor league numbers to look at before that. I feel like it's pretty bold to do that compared to two years of major league numbers.

The MiLB numbers compared to the MLB numbers are a good indicator that McGehee was outperforming his talent for one and a half years.(2009-2010) This year is doing nothing to dispel that notion.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Fickle's got nothing to do with it. I've never been a big McGehee fan and never felt he was going to be a reliable hitter moving forward.

Now his start certainly doesn't prove me wrong, but he doesn't have the pedigree IMO that questioning him means you're fickle.

And I like Green a lot. He may not put up the numbers McGehee does, but he's part of what could be a bit of a transition for the Brewers. Green at 3rd, Gamel at 1st a good defensive SS and we could have a good defensive team to go with our pitching while adding a couple LH'ed bats who get on base. Of course you'd be losing a BIG one of those as well....

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived