Brewer Fanatic

NL Central, is it a 3 way race?

adambr2

Have we seen enough of this season to conclude that the Central will be a 3-way race this year?

I think we have. Houston isn't a contender, and although Pittsburgh has done well enough to stay relevant, I don't think they have enough talent to stick around. Pitching has been a disaster for the Cubs. Although they have a nice exciting young player in Castro, the core of their lineup players are now well into their 30's and as such, I think they are approaching rebuilding mode.

So that leaves us, Cincy of course, and St. Louis. St. Louis, despite losing Wainwright, hasn't faltered. As much as I hate them, I have to say once Holliday gets back and Pujols gets hot, they're going to have a very scary heart of their lineup with Berkman there as well. I think we have better pitching on paper, but somehow they always get guys like Kyle Lohse to have huge years.

To me, I think all 3 teams are 90 win possibilities, so the race might go well into September. Good news, we've got our last 6 games of the season at home. Bad news, all 6 of our September games against the Cards and Reds are on the road.

It should be a fun race. I definitely think it is a 3-team race. With the Cards I think Pujols getting back on track will get off-set by Berkman coming back to earth. Their pitching has been really good but can anyone really see Lohse and McKellen keeping that up. The Reds will continue to get better in my mind. They scare me. I think the Brewers will continue to get better. Only Lucroy is really exceeding expectations, and Marcum I guess. Once Greinke's ERA comes back to what his peripherals suggest it should be and our bullpen gets excited I think this team is scary as well.

On the Cubs, Castro seems to be struggling quite a bit. His May OPS was 717 and on the season he is at .752. He is still only 21 so all that could improve but I dont see the hype as much as others.

There's really only two teams capable of 92 or more wins, so from that perspective it's really 2 team race. Now if both the Cards and Brewers flounder a bit, and make 87 or 88 wins the magic number, then the Reds are definitely in it too. Pittsburgh could hang around longer too in that scenario.

Personally, I think either the Brewers or the Cards or both get to 92 wins, with the second place team in strong position for a wild card.

This race also makes the trade deadline very interesting. I am sure some team will make a trade and then seeing how the other 2 react. Should be fun.

The problem with this for the brewers, is that it will be hard for them to make any move with the cupboards pretty bare.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

This race also makes the trade deadline very interesting. I am sure some team will make a trade and then seeing how the other 2 react. Should be fun.

The problem with this for the brewers, is that it will be hard for them to make any move with the cupboards pretty bare.

The cupboards aren't really that bare, they are just young. Plenty of players in the system that teams would want. Maybe not a Sabathia type deal but most of the trade deadline moves are much more mediocre and we have the guys to get those kind of deals done.

I'm almost thinking it may end up being more of a 2 team race as this thing goes on. The 2009 Brewers -- err -- the Reds might just fall apart on the pitching side. Their lineup is incredible and if their guys can patch it together they may be alright.

But it is crazy how they mirror the 2009 Brewers. We had Fielder/Braun and they have Bruce/Votto. The supporting offensive cast fits the bill as well. We were thinking a window of contention may have been opening up even though we lost some of our top pitching dogs. Then it all fell apart. Injuries, guys falling off a cliff, pitchers we thought would be long-term pieces falling off the face of the earth. Leake got a little bit too much love last year and will definitely be an MLB pitcher but couldn't have been counted on as they had expected. Volquez may not find it again. I still think they should move Chapman to starter.

The one thing they have on us though is that they can defend.

The cupboards aren't really that bare, they are just young. Plenty of players in the system that teams would want.

I don't disagree with your general point -- that the Brewers have players other teams would want. But the farm system does stink.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'd say the cupboards are pretty bare. Our top positional prospects project as 4th outfielders and utility infielders. That's bare. The pitching situation is a little better, but still nothing eye-popping as far as quality goes.

It can be turned around, but it won't happen overnight. We have a couple first round picks in a deep draft, so that will help. Needs to start with a good draft today. No more Eric Arnett mistakes.

Archived