Brewer Fanatic

Former Brewer Bill Hall released

kilgore37

The Astros announced that they intend to give Bill Hall his unconditional release. They asked for release waivers on Hall and activated infielder Jason Bourgeois from the 15-day disabled list in a related move.

The transaction will take effect Monday and if no team claims Hall by
Wednesday, he’ll become a free agent and will be able to sign with any
team. Last offseason, Hall signed a one-year, $3MM deal that included a
$4MM mutual option ($250K buyout) for 2012. The 31-year-old posted a
.224/.272/.240 line in 158 plate appearances as Houston's second baseman
this year.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does Billy play a better SS than Yuni? I haven't looked at any recent metrics?
His UZR/150 is 9.0 since 2007 at SS. Of course, he has only played 36 innings at SS since 2007...

He probably can't hack it at SS anymore.

Pick him up for league minimum, and see if we can catch lightning in a bottle for a few months.

He's likely done, but it's not like he can hit worse than anyone on the bench other than Kotsay.

Agree with this. He'd be better than Wilson, and actually has power.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

He is definitely better than Josh Wilson. He can play every position on the field and has some power. His average sucks, but let's face it, he's a better hitter and player than Josh Wilson. IT likely won't happen but it's worth a look I think.

I think if last night's game taught us anything ... it is the value of having a guy on your bench who can tie/go ahead/win the game with one swing. Bill Hall shouldn't start games anymore .. but he can do the exact same thing that Josh Wilson can (with a few more positions to boot) ... but 10% more of his hits are going to leave the ballpark (in comparison with JW).

If the contracts are equal (league minimum for both guys) ... I don't see how anyone can argue that Wilson is the better choice over Hall given what their roles would be on our team. Right now the only guy on our bench that can hit the ball out of the park is Dale Sveum ... I think Hall would fill a need.

Go get him.

I am not a big Bill Hall fan. Never was never will be. I wouldn't mind picking him up so we have first crack at him for next year as a bench player. As long as he understands that is what he is, a bench player. The fact that he could possibly come in and be the best SS on our team is kind of sad.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

A-Rod (57, 52, 47, 42, 42, 41, 36) (plus 54, 48, 36, 36 as a 3rd baseman even though I still consider him a SS)

Ernie Banks (47, 45, 44, 43, 41)

Vern Stephans (39) nice work on this one

Nomar tied Billy with 35 in one season

Ripken highest was only 34.

There are 2 more, with only 1 season each. One is a recent player and one is a 60s-70s era player.

Archived