Brewer Fanatic

Latest Power 50 up (June 3rd Edition)

Nice work gentlemen.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Great job as always, guys. For some reason the comments this month seem even a little more interesting than usual, which I mean as high praise. I like that, given the poor state of the system, you aren't hesitating to move guys up and down rapidly. Everybody on the list has a whole lot to prove.

To throw out the first nit-pick, I think Taylor Green probably should rate higher at this point. He's 24 at AAA, which isn't too old. He's hitting well. He plays a skill position of potential need, and his second position is up the defensive spectrum, not down. He has a history of moderate success. He seems like he has always been willing to put in the work to get the most out of his talent. Obviously he shows no signs of being a world-beater, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him as the Brewers' starting 3b in 2012 or 2013, depending on a lot of other variables. I'd probably rate him behind Khris Davis but ahead of Schafer, Kentrail Davis, and Richardson, all outfielders who are no younger for their levels than Green and who aren't producing so far.

Mike Walker also seems low to me at 40, but I understand that he jumped seven spots as it is and that we have to be careful about a 22 year-old in the Midwest League. I predict he'll be in the upper half of the P50 at season's end.

Verified Member

Awesome, awesome job. With the state of the farm these days, you guys really upped the entertainment value. My personal favorite on the commentary is Eric Arnett:

At least there are no new bad things to say about Arnett this time around....At this point, Dylan Covey has been a better first-round pick than Arnett, and Covey didn't even sign.

Also, is that Stosh Wawrzasek or 'Stache Wawrzasek?

A Mitch Hedberg reference and an Anchorman quote? Well done.

Definitely looks like some wild fluctuation, but considering there are a ton of future reserves and relievers in the system, that's probably to be expected. I'm really interested to see the next Power 50, though -- the post-draft editions are always my favorite.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Wow, does the farm system stink. It was depressing to read through that in a lot of ways.

I have to lobby for Nick Bucci to be higher. I think he'll be top-5 in the next edition. Scarpetta & Rivas have been pretty disappointing imo so far this season. I almost couldn't bring myself to read the paragraph on Rogers http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Nice work on this, guys. Entertaining read, even if it was a little sad.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Wow, does the farm system stink. It was depressing to read through that in a lot of ways.

I was thinking the same thing. Usually we could look at the top 8 or 9 guys and be excited about them. Now I am limited to being excited about the top 3. I am excited about Peralta, Thornburg and Komatsu but that's about it, at least until Logan Schafer starts hitting again. This draft can't come soon enough. We need young high ceiling HS guys. Too many of our guys are considered old for their leagues.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Just a ridiculously entertaining and thorough job with the comments, Eric. I have no chance of matching the effort next time out, but will try.

The fact you snuck in a "eulogy" reference on Frankie De La Cruz is just gold.

http://www.jeanierhoades.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Kenny_Bania.jpg

Now I am limited to being excited about the top 3. I am excited about Peralta, Thornburg and Komatsu but that's about it, at least until Logan Schafer starts hitting again.

Honestly, out of those three or four guys you just mentioned, the only one that's really exciting to me is Thornburg. Peralta's not too far behind, but Komatsu & Schafer are hardly really legit prospects. So there's your top four players, Milwaukee. One or two pitchers that might develop into a top-level prospect, a nice hitting CF that doesn't project to be a CF in MLB, and a true CF who hasn't played in a long time & has yet to face AAA pitching this season.

This draft can't come soon enough. We need young high ceiling HS guys. Too many of our guys are considered old for their leagues.

I've started to become really frustrated with how slowly the Brewers tend to move guys along. I'm not sure whether or not they draft HS players is going to matter much.

Seeing that % of pitches that the Brewers say need to be changeups for strikes, or whatever it was that was mentioned recently for a pitcher to get promoted, just made me shake my head. In general, your minor leaguers are top-flight competitors that welcome challenge & competition. For an example, I know there's been talk about Tyler Roberts & Yadiel Rivera being overmatched at A- Wisconsin, but I believe those guys are actually benefiting from being at A-. Roberts's throwing arm has been excellent, & Rivera is the best athlete the Brewers have at SS in the lower levels. No one's blocking them or needs playing time at their positions at Wisconsin, so why not speed up their track? They can always repeat A- if needed, and then the adjustment period should be that much shorter next season. [/rant]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yeah no offense to Wily but if he is your #1 prospect you have an awful farm system. It probably won't take much for at least our top 2 picks this year to immediately crack the top 5. Thornburg is really the only guy that I am excited about right now; it seems every guy has one huge glaring flaw.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't want to start a new thread just for this, but Jim Callis on Baseball America was asked what teams' #1 draft picks would also be the teams #1 overall prospect. In addition to a few other teams, he more or less said that both of the Brewers first two picks would now be their top prospect.

"Surprisingly, I only came up with four 2011 draftees who are locks to be

their team's top prospect in the 2012 Prospect Handbook. In order of

selection, they are Mariners lefthander Danny Hultzen (the No. 2 overall

choice), Diamondbacks righthander Trevor Bauer (No. 3), Astros

outfielder George Springer (No. 11) and either of the Brewers' two

first-rounders, righty Taylor Jungmann (No. 12) or lefty Jed Bradley

(No. 15)."

Does this say more about Jungmann and Bradley or the Brewers system? Where would you guys place Jungmann and Bradley in the Power 50?

Brewer Fanatic Staff
I didn't want to start a new thread just for this, but Jim Callis on Baseball America was asked what teams' #1 draft picks would also be the teams #1 overall prospect. In addition to a few other teams, he more or less said that both of the Brewers first two picks would now be their top prospect.

"Surprisingly, I only came up with four 2011 draftees who are locks to be their team's top prospect in the 2012 Prospect Handbook. In order of selection, they are Mariners lefthander Danny Hultzen (the No. 2 overall choice), Diamondbacks righthander Trevor Bauer (No. 3), Astros outfielder George Springer (No. 11) and either of the Brewers' two first-rounders, righty Taylor Jungmann (No. 12) or lefty Jed Bradley (No. 15)."

Does this say more about Jungmann and Bradley or the Brewers system? Where would you guys place Jungmann and Bradley in the Power 50?

Can only speak for myself, but I'd have Jungmann at # 1, while sorting out the Thornburg - Peralta - Bradley triumverate behind Taylor. Still a big Wily fan, though.

Talking about Callis's comments on the draft forum, I mentioned that I think it's possible to make the case that Jorge Lopez is a better prospect than either Jungmann or Bradley. I think the order I might take them is actually the reverse of their draft order: Lopez, Bradley, Jungmann.

Archived