Brewer Fanatic

2011-06-03 Brewers (Wolf) at Marlins (Nolasco) - [Brewers win, 6-5]

June 03 - 6:10 P.M.

http://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/logos/brewers.jpghttp://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/logos/marlins.jpg

30-26

31-23

Pitching Matchup

http://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/pitchers/brewers/wolf-12.jpghttp://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/pitchers/marlins/nolasco-01.jpg

Randy Wolf

4-4 | 3.43

Since resuming a battery with catcher Wil Nieves, Wolf has allowed only seven hits and two earned runs in 14 1/3 innings over his last two starts.

Marlins vs. Wolf
Wolf Game Log

Ricky Nolasco

4-1 | 3.82

Nolasco has been solid all season, but he had a historically poor performance in his last start. In Los Angeles, he gave up 15 hits, the most ever by a Florida starter. He is 1-1 with an 8.66 ERA in four career starts against the Brewers.

Brewers vs. Nolasco
Nolasco Game Log

Starting Lineups

1. 2B Rickie Weeks
  2. CF Nyjer Morgan
  3. RF Corey Hart
  4. 1B Prince Fielder
  5. 3B Casey McGehee
  6. LF Mark Kotsay
  7. SS Yuniesky Betancourt
  8. C Wil Nieves
  9. LHP Randy Wolf

1. CF Chris Coghlan
  2. 2B Omar Infante
  3. LF Logan Morrison
  4. 1B Gaby Sanchez
  5. RF Mike Stanton
  6. C John Buck
  7. 3B Wes Helms
  8. SS Emilio Bonifacio
  9. RHP Ricky Nolasco

Media Coverage

http://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/media/media-fsn.jpg

Brewerfan Game Chat

MLB GameDay 2010 | ESPN GameCast | 620 WTMJ Affiliates

Fan Sites

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

The Brewers are finally in my neck of the woods--which means I can't watch because of MLB.TV's stupid blackout rules. This will be the Brewers' last regular season series as Sun Life Stadium as the new "Marlins Ballpark" opens next year.

Was thinking about going tonight but traffic is so terrible on Fridays that it isn't worth the hassle. Will be going to the game on Monday to see Greinke pitch again (and they have $5 lower-level tickets on Mondays). Last year there was a group of about 15 Brewers fans that could be heard on the opposite side of the stadium. Pathetic.

Runs should be at a premium in this series with two of the better rotations in the NL going against each other. The Brewers have struggled both on the road and in larger, hitter-friendly ballparks. However, the Marlins have been predominately a road team this year. They just went 5-4 on a very difficult west coast road trip, although they lost 4 of 6 to LA and Arizona after sweeping San Francisco.

The Brewers are fortunate to avoid Josh Johnson, who isn't expected to return off the DL until the middle of next week at the earliest. Unfortunately they also avoid Josh Johnson's slot in the rotation, which was filled mostly by a "bullpen committee" and would have presented a favorable matchup.

As I mentioned yesterday, no significant rain is expected during the series, which is highly unusual for this time of year.

Verified Member

It will be interesting to see if Nieves will be catching Wolf even after the off day yesterday. I'm not sure even sure what I would prefer at this point, other than for Wolf and Lucroy to get on the same page. Wolf looked pretty good the last couple of outings with Nieves in there.

My Prediction:

Weeks

Morgan

Braun

Fielder

Hart

McGehee

Betancourt

Nieves

Wolf

It will be interesting to see people come up with their excuses for why Lucroy isn't going to be catching Wolf tonight. The built-in day game after night game excuse won't fly and coming off a day off there's no excuse other than RR cowering with his tail between his legs to appease a number 4 starters demands. Cant wait to see the lineups posted. The teams best avg hitter better be playing.

After seeing Kotsay's splits vs. Nolasco I predict he'll be in CF, hitting 6th or 2nd.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

In that giant ballpark, it would be a drastic mistake to not have Gomez or Morgan in CF. This one of the biggest, if not the biggest centerfield area in all of baseball and the dropoff defensively between Gomez/Morgan to Kotsay is drastic. That being said, RR will probably do it and bat him second.

Community Moderator

2B Rickie Weeks

CF Nyjer Morgan

RF Corey Hart

1B Prince Fielder

3B Casey McGehee

LF Mark Kotsay

SS Yuniesky Betancourt

C Wil Nieves

LHP Randy Wolf

Braun was out on South Beach too late last night?

So we're missing one of our top offensive players, coming off the day off yesterday....Yep, let's still start both Kotsay AND Nieves.

That easily has to be the worst lineup of the year. Sure looks like a loss on paper. Let's hope Braun is ok to play tomorrow.

Community Moderator
Haudricourt's reporting that it's Braun's shoulder. Not good. Better to rest it now, we need him the whole year. Give him tomorrow off too if necessary.

I don't know why but I'm feeling good about this game.

EDIT: Just for fun I added up the OPS for the top 4 in the order and compared it with the bottom 4. I left out the pitcher spot and keep in mind this is without Braun in the top 4.

Top 4: Weeks, Morgan, Hart, Prince---> Total OPS= 3.639 average .910

Bottom 4: Casey, Kotsay, Yuni, Nieves---> Total OPS= 2.300 average .575

Maybe I'm not feeling so good. That is the black hole of all black holes after Prince.

It will be interesting to see people come up with their excuses for why Lucroy isn't going to be catching Wolf tonight. The built-in day game after night game excuse won't fly and coming off a day off there's no excuse other than RR cowering with his tail between his legs to appease a number 4 starters demands. Cant wait to see the lineups posted. The teams best avg hitter better be playing.
Does anyone else even care?

Lucroy doesn't work well with Wolf anyway, so no I don't care. Playing 4 of every 5 games would put him at about 130 starts. I think that's even a little much for a catcher. Can't really complain about him being off every time Wolf catches.
I have said this before that if we are to make the playoffs I don't want to see Lucroy have a day off just because he doesn't work well with Wolf. I would like to see Lucroy catch Wolf from time to time to get their differences ironed out because you need to play your best players every day in the playoffs.

Lucroy doesn't work well with Wolf anyway, so no I don't care. Playing 4 of every 5 games would put him at about 130 starts. I think that's even a little much for a catcher. Can't really complain about him being off every time Wolf catches.
I have said this before that if we are to make the playoffs I don't want to see Lucroy have a day off just because he doesn't work well with Wolf. I would like to see Lucroy catch Wolf from time to time to get their differences ironed out because you need to play your best players every day in the playoffs.
It's not that they're incapable of working together. It's just that since Lucroy would likely sit one of every 5 games anyway, that he might as well sit with Wolf pitching. If they had to work together they would. In a playoff situation, I'm sure he'd be in there.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived