Brewer Fanatic

Lawrie to big leagues

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

didn't see this anywhere, so if I missed it, sorry for the repost.

Looks like brett lawrie will be called up this weekend.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/b.../2011/05/31/lawrie_jays/

lawrie got hit in the hand with a pitch yesterday, but just a bruise. still, that might affect the call up if there are any lingering problems.

It'll be interesting to see how he does if he's called up. He really doesn't have much left to prove in the minors. Although, sometimes a short stint in the majors can bring out some flaws that might not otherwise get seen. I would love to see him come close to what Braun did when he was called up and have him be the face of the franchise in Toronto for years to come. It would be great for him and the fans.

I've always find myself pulling for our former prospects when they make it to the bigs, especially if they're in the American League.

Cruz, yes. Brantley, yes. LaPorta, yes. Cain, Escobar, yes, yes. Lawrie... not so much.

I am more interested to see if his glove can play at 3rd because I think his bat will be very good. The question becomes is he a corner OF or a 3B. Interested to see what happens. I am wondering if his power numbers are for real. Sure he was young in all his leagues but his OPS went up 200 points this year. He had never been a big home run guy and this year he is going crazy. Maybe he just matured a lot this year but I wonder if those numbers are what to expect our if he his more likely to be an .800 OPS kind of guy

I've always find myself pulling for our former prospects when they make it to the bigs, especially if they're in the American League.

Cruz, yes. Brantley, yes. LaPorta, yes. Cain, Escobar, yes, yes. Lawrie... not so much.

How come?

I have never been impressed with Lawrie's comments and supposed actions in the minors. I always got the feeling that he felt he was the second-coming of Ryan Braun, and that allowed him to be lazy (leading to conflicting reports of his benchings). He wanted to be a catcher, but didn't want to work to be a good one. He wanted to play 2b, but never became adequate. Suddenly his national team trades for him and asks him to switch to third--now he's full of energy and excitement! To me he's a drama queen. I hope he does well, but I won't fondly follow him like Can, Brantley, and Odorizzi

For me, and this will sound horrible, but I really don't want our prospects to do that well for other teams. It's nothing personal on them, it's just always the 20/20 thing. Like "we had this guy, he could be hitting .325 in a Brewers uniform". It's better obviously when we get something good like Marcum or CC in return, but I just like to think we didn't give up all stars. Something like that if that makes any sense.

I have never been impressed with Lawrie's comments and supposed actions in the minors. I always got the feeling that he felt he was the second-coming of Ryan Braun, and that allowed him to be lazy (leading to conflicting reports of his benchings). He wanted to be a catcher, but didn't want to work to be a good one. He wanted to play 2b, but never became adequate. Suddenly his national team trades for him and asks him to switch to third--now he's full of energy and excitement! To me he's a drama queen. I hope he does well, but I won't fondly follow him like Can, Brantley, and Odorizzi
I'm just not sure where people get all these ideas about Lawrie...

http://www.millerparkdrunk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Brett-Lawrie-1.jpg

Seriously, I don't understand...

http://www.millerparkdrunk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Brett-Lawrie-10.jpg

(^^^An actual picture from his Facebook page...)

http://www.millerparkdrunk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Brett-Lawrie-9.jpg

So far (obviously still very early), this trade looks like one both teams are still happy with. Marcum is surpassing expectations with his production this season, and Lawrie would likely now be a top 5-10 prospect in the game in any updated prospect rankings. Granted its June 1st, but the numbers at AAA are pretty filthy. Nice work to both GM's on the trade. Personally, I am a big picture fan, and I might take Lawrie over Marcum if given the choice. The next 3 2/3 seasons of pre-arby production by Lawrie could look very nice for the Blue Jays. I understand the Marcum trade went hand-in-hand with the Greinke, so it makes sense.

On a sidenote, how many GMs in baseball right now are better than Alex Anthopoulos?

He's not a Brewer anymore, so he's dead to me. I hope someone archives the trade thread, because if Lawrie does become a star, there is going to be a ton of second guessers in coming years. Obviously something has clicked with his offense this year, so it seems his odds of busting out in the bigs has taken a big jump- he's still got a long, long way to go though.

It goes without saying, but I'm sure a lot of people think that Lawrie would look good at 3B for the Brewers in the future. Especially with the struggles of McGehee this year. I just don't think the Brewers ever projected him as a 3B, or he wouldn't've been traded.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I've always found myself pulling for our former prospects when they make it to the bigs, especially if they're in the American League.

How come?
I'm pretty sure it's that first picture posted by Tailgat0r, that's basically the imagine of him that is burned into my brain. I just can't get past it.

It goes without saying, but I'm sure a lot of people think that Lawrie would look good at 3B for the Brewers in the future. Especially with the struggles of McGehee this year. I just don't think the Brewers ever projected him as a 3B, or he wouldn't've been traded.

There were reports coming out late last season that Lawrie was beginning to work at 3B. I think there is a pretty decent chance that he would have began this season at 3B in the Brewers system (though we dont know anything for sure), especially after Rickie's extension.

There were reports coming out late last season that Lawrie was beginning to work at 3B. I think there is a pretty decent chance that he would have began this season at 3B in the Brewers system (though we dont know anything for sure), especially after Rickie's extension.

It's possible, but I always remember hearing that we were thinking about moving him to the outfield.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I've always found myself pulling for our former prospects when they make it to the bigs, especially if they're in the American League.

How come?
I'm pretty sure it's that first picture posted by Tailgat0r, that's basically the imagine of him that is burned into my brain. I just can't get past it.

I just don't care about pics like that of a 20 year old or however old he was there. Plenty of young men have pics or moments like that in their past and it has had no impact on their becoming teachers, doctors, lawyers, star athletes, or what have you. I have pics like that from college of guys who went on to each of those professions.

I am pulling for him and a big fan. I have dumb tool-ish 20 year old pic of myself as do prob 95% people (can't claim the ab picture though) so it is really hard to fault a 20 year old for being immature with a bunch of good friends back home, out of the public eyes( or suppose to be). "Star" baseball player or not maturity takes time and that would be extremely hypocritical on my behave to judge him for acting his age. (Also I think I have heard people before mention "underage drinking" but like all but 2 countries in the entire world the drinking is under the age of 21 and 18 in Canada).

He has an attitude, yes, he is walking a very thin line of confidence and arrogence, yes, but I love players who play with confidence and swag. He may act like a donkey's butt time to time but he is a max effort, all out, confident, great bat player. Hard to hate that. Plus I like the fact that the Brewers hit on a prospect, and I like to see them succeed outside of games against the Crew. Brantley, Lawrie, Cain, Cruz, Escobar, LaPorta and etc. I never thought his comments were personal attacks against the Brewers like some really push but I am happy is now in a place were he has a spot.

Best of Luck to Brett!

Verified Member
For me, and this will sound horrible, but I really don't want our prospects to do that well for other teams. It's nothing personal on them, it's just always the 20/20 thing. Like "we had this guy, he could be hitting .325 in a Brewers uniform". It's better obviously when we get something good like Marcum or CC in return, but I just like to think we didn't give up all stars. Something like that if that makes any sense.

But at the same time if we're trading away prospects that go on to be successful you'd think that would make other teams more willing to trade for our prospects in the future, and perhaps value them a little higher. If prospects we keep trading away never pan out it could have the opposite effect too.

But at the same time if we're trading away prospects that go on to be successful you'd think that would make other teams more willing to trade for our prospects in the future, and perhaps value them a little higher. If prospects we keep trading away never pan out it could have the opposite effect too.

Yea, you really don't want the Brewers front office to get the same reputation the Braves FO did(when it came to trading away pitching). Sometimes you need trades to work out great for both sides.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I am pulling for him and a big fan. I have dumb tool-ish 20 year old pic of myself as do prob 95% people (can't claim the ab picture though) so it is really hard to fault a 20 year old for being immature with a bunch of good friends back home, out of the public eyes( or suppose to be). "Star" baseball player or not maturity takes time and that would be extremely hypocritical on my behave to judge him for acting his age.
Absolutely. Any time I think of doing anything that might put me in the public spotlight, I always think about what kind of pictures are out there of me and what stories some bozo friend might tell on the news. We've all done stupid stuff.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Absolutely. Any time I think of doing anything that might put me in the public spotlight, I always think about what kind of pictures are out there of me and what stories some bozo friend might tell on the news. We've all done stupid stuff.

I agree that we've all done stupid stuff, but were we dumb enough to post it on the World Wide Web for everyone to see? I was working under the assumption that Lawrie posted these pictures himself.

I was never a big Lawrie fan to begin with so I don't really care one way or the other how he does. I like the Blue Jays somewhat so I hope they do well in general, same with the guys we traded to the Indians.

I'll be very surprised if Lawrie doesn't hit & hit well at the big-league level. I think in two or three seasons Brewers fans are really, really going to miss Lawrie & Odorizzi.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived