Brewer Fanatic

Morgan for Dykstra, Melvin's best trade ever?

If you want to blame anyone for the current state of the roster a huge portion of that blame goes to Z being unable to draft pitching, he still gets way too much credit for drafting the almost can't miss hitters he did and doesn't seem to get any of the blame for almost completely missing out all of his pitching drafts.

Can't miss hitters? Most here wanted Cam Maybin instead of Braun, but Z got it right. Melvin admitted he wouldn't have let Z select Fielder if he'd been here. Z made great picks on both occaisions. Without them we'd have nothing.Sure Melvin push for a pitcher in round 2 of 2004, but it wasn't like Melvin identified Yo himself. Melvin also pushed for Gwynn Jr., a wasted pick. Don't forget Z drafted trade chips like LaPorta, Jeffress, and Ordorizi, among others.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Verified Member
I'd be feeling a heck of a lot better about the Greinke trade if Odorizzi didnt have to be included. I think if he wasnt included, KC never would have traded with Milwaukee.

Having said that, if you can acquire 2 proven, top of the rotation starters (Greinke and Marcum) for unproven prospects, you do it every time without thinking twice. We have witnessed far too many seasons of pitching devoid teams that can rake. Pitching wins games and this off season Melvin finally proved that he understands that.

It's just not as elementary as that. Essentially, trading in MLB (and all sports I suppose) is about trading contracts, not players. How long will the proven, top of the rotation starter be on your team and how much are you paying him? Some guys who are proven may actually have negative value because of their contract (in the last ten years, think Mike Hampton and Carl Pavano). There are dozens and dozens of things to consider when making a trade.

• 1 month later...
This thread deserves a bump. Morgan has been so key to the makeup of this team and lineup. We didn't have to give up anything of value and have a high obp, good fielding, high energy center fielder who has been clutch. His obvious WAR (ie games he was responsible for winning) has been 5.0+ in his half season. Best move
Formerly Andersoc420

I fervently hope that this season will have a majestic ending that will make the Morgan trade even more impressive than it is now, but I think Melvin trading 2 minor leaguers for Solomon Torres was great.

Greinke proved last night why we dumped our minor league system for him, he didn't have his best but 6 Innings 2 runs will get us a win at home. I expect 10 more excellent starts the rest of the way and I would pick him to start game 1 in the playoffs.

Now its Marcum's turn. We have a chance to really put the hurt to STL tonight

You just can't keep building your team solely through the minors. The Greinke and Marcum deals were excellent for us. The minor league system is being re-tooled. We get them for 2 years and a chance to re-sign both/either.

Why are Brewer fans so negative?? I am absolutely loving this season, all these games are close and Braun and Fielder have been awesome. Try enjoying this run guys!!!

People are posting they'd wish we didn't do the CC trade, Really????

Go BREW

Greinke proved last night why we dumped our minor league system for him, he didn't have his best but 6 Innings 2 runs will get us a win at home. I expect 10 more excellent starts the rest of the way and I would pick him to start game 1 in the playoffs.

Now its Marcum's turn. We have a chance to really put the hurt to STL tonight

You just can't keep building your team solely through the minors. The Greinke and Marcum deals were excellent for us. The minor league system is being re-tooled. We get them for 2 years and a chance to re-sign both/either.

Why are Brewer fans so negative?? I am absolutely loving this season, all these games are close and Braun and Fielder have been awesome. Try enjoying this run guys!!!

People are posting they'd wish we didn't do the CC trade, Really????

Go BREW

We must find who really is responsible for drafting Braun and Fielder and who passed on all the stud pitchers so that we can finally know who should be GM of the Brewers. Melvin is obviously incompetent.

I also think the Morgan trade has been great. I think his best deals were for Carlos Lee, Sabathia, and Greinke. The Sabathia deal was huge for the franchise and city. I have a gut feeling that Greinke proves his worth by being clutch down the stretch and in the playoffs and decides to sign long term with the Brewers.

I prefer Plush Gumbel over Tony Plush. Tony Plush antagonizes opposing fans and hurts the feelings of "Classy Baseball" organizations.

Melvin's best move so far was firing Ken Macha

edit: didn't mean that 2nd part to be in Blue

Archived