Brewer Fanatic

If the Brewers do tinker with the Roster at the Deadline

Kotsay's line drive percentage is an astounding 26%. How good is 26% line drives? Ryan Braun's is currently 21% and he's never topped that figure in any year.

My point about Kotsay is that combine his line drive percentage with his walk percentage, and you get a picture of a guy who knows what he's doing at the plate. That's what I mean by his providing quality AB's. It's unfortunate he doesn't hit with power (though I still think he'll get a few HR before it's over).

It looks like Hideki Matsui is or will be soon available from the A's, since he is hitting so poorly. There are also rumors that Jorge Posada may be getting released. He might be a nice pickup, if he would be ok w/ taking Nieves's role as the backup C.

I highly doubt we pick up either guy, but I think they would greatly improve our bench, while bringing a whole new level of veteran championship experience.

Matsui might be interesting if the cost is low enough. I don't know why he has stunk this year after hitting so well last year. Then again, he's 37.

I think Posada is basically done. He isn't really a catcher anymore, and if he can't hit, his value is pretty much non-existent.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

"I don't buy though that he has a history of pitching poorly in pressure situations. Hawkins has spent the last decade pitching largely as a closer and setup guy, with plenty of success over that decade."

The Cubs and Twins fans that I know would beg to differ with you.

Posada has had over an 800 OPS the last 2 seasons, and his BABIP this year is about 100 points lower than his career average. He did play catcher a bunch the last 2 seasons, so maybe he'd be willing to still play once or twice a week? Or is it an injury issue?

Verified Member
Posada has had over an 800 OPS the last 2 seasons, and his BABIP this year is about 100 points lower than his career average. He did play catcher a bunch the last 2 seasons, so maybe he'd be willing to still play once or twice a week? Or is it an injury issue?
Posada has been a Yankee since 1895, and is now playing almost everyday as a DH. I'd say that Craig Biggio has a better chance of coming out of retirement to get behind the dish every 5 days for the Brewers than Posada. I bet that Craig Biggio could suit up tomorrow and out-hit Wil Nieves too.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived