Brewer Fanatic

Anything we could use from the Twins?

The Brewers probably have 6 guys who would be the 8th inning guy in Minnesota. Their bullpen is a disaster. And the Brewers have some tough choices upcoming. The Twins might just wait for the Brewers to waive a guy since their record is so bad, but a trade may be possible, too. Since the Brewers' MLB roster is pretty set right now, what would be desirable compensation? One of the 3 shortstops on their MLB roster (although they're all hitting worse than Betancourt)? A low-level shortstop prospect? A potential big bat first baseman (an option to replace Fielder)?

Edit: probably want to make this deal after we play them.

I'd actually rather hold onto the quality bullpen arms. Nothing is more frustrating then watching a starter go 7 strong just to see the bullpen blow the lead in one inning. We do have a lot of quality guys and I think that could really come in handy once the rosters expand. I'm also hoping Hawkins keeps up with his amazing season and somehow turns into a type B free agent to get us that extra pick next season.

The Brewers probably have 6 guys who would be the 8th inning guy in Minnesota. Their bullpen is a disaster. And the Brewers have some tough choices upcoming. The Twins might just wait for the Brewers to waive a guy since their record is so bad, but a trade may be possible, too. Since the Brewers' MLB roster is pretty set right now, what would be desirable compensation? One of the 3 shortstops on their MLB roster (although they're all hitting worse than Betancourt)? A low-level shortstop prospect? A potential big bat first baseman (an option to replace Fielder)?

I think Gamel is a better guy to replace Fielder than anyone on the Twins.

Except for Mauer or Morneau.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Fair enough, craig. I agree Liriano would be "nice", but he would be a luxury we would likely have to give up too much to obtain right now.

Shortstop seems to be the only really glaring weakness on the Brewers right now. Maybe if some team was willing to give up a top tier 3B in a salary dump move, that would be feasible as well (though I personally think McGehee is going to come around and perform similar to his last two seasons). Beyond that, I don't see too much need to make any trade moves right now. Melvin has assembled a quality team this year with a strong rotation, bullpen, and position players.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Except for Mauer or Morneau.
Actually I would say Gamel is better value as a 1B for the Brewers than Mauer considering Joe is never likely to have much power and his contract would crush the Brewers. Gamel wont hit for the same average, but he will likely hit for decent power and has a way better contract

Agreed, a lot of Mauer's value comes from the fact that he's a catcher. I think he'd be far less valuable as a 1B. It remains to be seen how much value Gamel will have as a major league 1B, but you'd have to think that his bat projects better as a 1B than Mauer's does.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

If I'm a Twins fan, I'd be very nervous about having literally hundreds of millions tied up in the M&M boys. Morneau is coming off a bad concussion, and you can't help but wonder whether this is going to be a long term issue- he has fewer homers than both Betancourt and Gomez this season. As for Mauer, he has a history of knee problems, now has some type of virus/fatigue issue, and is not long for the catcher position at any rate- he has never hit for any real power either.

Back to topic, there isn't really one player that I'd have any interest in from the Twins. I kind of find it funny how many of the fans up there want Gardenhire run out on a rail, because personally I think that he's been a miracle worker getting that squad to the playoffs nearly every year with the talent that they have had (poor division notwithstanding).

Agreed, a lot of Mauer's value comes from the fact that he's a catcher. I think he'd be far less valuable as a 1B. It remains to be seen how much value Gamel will have as a major league 1B, but you'd have to think that his bat projects better as a 1B than Mauer's does.
Mauer is a career .885 OPS, .381 wOBA hitter. I doubt Gamel projects that well. Of course he would be far less valuable as a 1B. Every player's value diminishes when they move down the defensive spectrum unless they gain a lot from improved defense. That is almost as good as Braun and Fielder.

Morneau is probably the highest I would feel safe projecting Gamel. Gamel isn't a power hitter either. He is probably more the Overbay type with slightly more power. More of a doubles hitter who will carry a good OBP. Taking contracts into consideration, sure Gamel is a better choice but to say he can match or beat the production of Mauer or Morneau is a stretch in my opinion.

I blame Wang.

The two guys on that team I would like are Span and Kubel, but when Hart is healthy Kubel wont be as valuable. Span would be nice if Morgan goes down again. Wish they had a SS

The Brewers needs are a shortstop and a power hitting bench bat (hell any type of hitting bench bat). Thome on the bench would be nice but really ideal would be a decent 4th Ofer with some power so Kubel would fit though his defense is bad though not any worse than Kotsay's.

The Brewers needs are a shortstop and a power hitting bench bat (hell any type of hitting bench bat). Thome on the bench would be nice but really ideal would be a decent 4th Ofer with some power so Kubel would fit though his defense is bad though not any worse than Kotsay's.

Kubel is not a 4th outfielder though. If Twins put him on the market, teams needing an everyday corner OF are going to offer more.

Thome would be a lot more useful in a pennant race than a 6th infielder. I'd consider taking a flyer on Kevin Slowey too if he could be had for very little. Slowey could benefit from the switch to the NL and a change of scenery. He's still only 27 and he's got a .650 career winning percentage. Part of that is luck to be sure, but he's had enough career starts (82) that it's not all luck. He'd certainly be a candidate for a 5th starter role in 2012.

Kubel isn't really an OFer at all. He's not full time starting caliber. He really should be platooned and he plays terrible defense.

Won't argue that he's ideally a DH or that if he has a decent platoon partner he's better in that role. But he's hit enough overall for a starting caliber corner OF on some teams so if he were on the market he'd be priced accordingly.. He'd be a guy to go after if Hart or Braun were hurt and out for an extended period and you needed a fill in to hit in the middle of the order. Then he'd come out for defense late in games.

Kubel is almost the same player as Ryan Ludwick, ditto for Corey Hart, not quite as good on D. Kubel hits RHP far better, but since most SP's are RH, he's plenty solid as an everyday corner OF. I'd love to have Hart or Ludwick as a reserve too, but needless to say, they're closer to all-stars than bench guys.

Above average players not starting caliber? That's just off.

Not quite as good on D is giving Kubel way to much credit. He looks like a left handed bat. I would rather have him than Kotsay but that ain't saying much.

I blame Wang.

Verified Member
I'd take Cuddyer. He's kind of pricey though at $10.5 mil. That works two ways though, as the Crew really wouldn't have to give up very much to get him; or else the Twins would probably have to send some cash along with the trade. I didn't realize that Minnesota's payroll is up to $113 million this year. That's a lot. Cuddyer, Nathan, and Capps will be $28 million off the books next year though, which likely won't be replaced by pricey free agents.

Archived