Brewer Fanatic

Brewerfan Poll: Ryan Braun's Baserunning

And That

Similar to the Lucroy defense poll, I just want to know how well you think Ryan Braun has performed this year running the bases. The rating should be all inclusive of stolen base tries, advancing on ground balls, fly balls, etc.

Important note: The rating should also include the effect Ed Sedar has had on Braun's baserunning. If you feel Braun has run into any needless outs at home as a result of Sedar's coaching, I want you to factor that negatively into your rating.

Thanks!

Once again, 10 for Rickey Henderson baserunning, 1 for... Prince Fielder baserunning.

I'd change the criteria from Henderson/Fielder to Molitor/Alex Sanchez.
I was thinking the same thing. Molitor was the first guy who came to mind for the "10." Fielder isn't a "1" - he's just slow.

Let's just say that when I was growing up, one of my favorite things to watch was Robin Yount going from 1st to 3rd. His strides were perfect and it was just a great thing to watch. Ryan Braun is beginning to get to that point for me...not exactly there just yet, but he sure is fun to watch run the bases!

Base running isn't just about stolen bases, remembering that, the best Brewers in my memory - both Molitor and Yount, Jose Valentin, Mike Cameron and Corey Hart.

At the bottom - Fernando Vina, Alex Sanchez, Johnny Estrada (who never really looked like he truly "ran" at all), and our own Carlos Gomez.

One other quirky one...Ben Oglivie wasn't a bad runner in every sense....but the man simply never learned to slide - he was a broken ankle trying to happen.

Community Moderator

Positives:

13/14 overall

10/10 on stealing 2nd base

3/4 on stealing 3rd base (probably due to Prince Fielder shift)

10 bases taken (on passed balls, sac flies, etc). (Ricky Henderson had 30-40/year in his prime)

Took the extra base (2 bases on a single, 3 on a double) 52% of the time, better than his career average of 49%, not as good as Henderson's prime (60+%) but way better than Ichiro (41% career) and astoundingly better than Prince Fielder (19% this year).

Negatives:

3 outs on the basepaths (he only had 2 in all of 2010)

3 pickoffs already this year

Overall:

7/10. I actually voted 3/10 on my first instinct but the numbers suggest that he is having a fine year on the basepaths (small sample though!). Those pickoffs really stick out in my mind though.

FWIW, Gomez has already made 7 outs on the basepaths this year + 2 pickoffs. He only needs one more to match his 2010 total.

I voted 7. I started him at around an 8.5-9, but knocked him down because of his pickoffs. Clean those up and he's right up there with just about anyone in the league.

splitterpfj]At the bottom - Fernando Vina, Alex Sanchez, Johnny Estrada (who never really looked like he truly "ran" at all), and our own Carlos Gomez.

Good list of baserunning bottom feeders, I'd also add Ronnie Belliard.

Archived