Brewer Fanatic

Collisions at the plate

Hammer
how could you expect the runner to get back in an 18" box within 45' of rounding third?
Then make it 30 feet from home. Or 20 feet. The point is, if there's a defined area where the baserunner is supposed to be and where the catcher is supposed to be, it would make things go more smoothly at home plate. I'm not against contact, but the current situation seems closer to chaos.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now that another catcher went on the DL due to a collision yesterday is that enough? Or those claiming we only pay attention when its a big name say that Quinterro isn't important enough to worry about?
Small sample. Leave things as is.

how could you expect the runner to get back in an 18" box within 45' of rounding third?
Then make it 30 feet from home. Or 20 feet. The point is, if there's a defined area where the baserunner is supposed to be and where the catcher is supposed to be, it would make things go more smoothly at home plate. I'm not against contact, but the current situation seems closer to chaos.

The catcher is still going to block the plate, so how does this help?

There is a defined area for the baserunner, they have to be able to touch the base, so that defines where they can be when coming into home.

Maybe we should just make it always a force out at home? But then why stop there, all tag plays are riskier than force plays, so let's make it always a force at every base. But then, guys get injured sliding and diving into bases too (remember Jenkins foot practically falling off his leg), so let's allow the runner to over run the base at second and third, just like first.

One reason there are collisions at home is because, unlike second and third, you can run right through the plate. There is no need to slide in because you do not need to stop on the plate.

Now that another catcher went on the DL due to a collision yesterday is that enough? Or those claiming we only pay attention when its a big name say that Quinterro isn't important enough to worry about?

Quinterro was setting up to block the plate long before he had the ball. If he didn't want a collision he should not have been doing that. He also slipped on a bat.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/....jsp?content_id=15258683

Also the Giant's GM is an idiot. "You have to slide into other bases," Sabean said. "Why shouldn't you have to slide into home plate?"

http://www.usatoday.com/s...1-05-28-4260483737_x.htm

Really, this guy is a GM and he thinks the rules require sliding into other bases?

The catcher is still going to block the plate, so how does this help?

Gives the catcher a chance to not have to block the plate, and if they aren't blocking, the runner can't touch them. Seems pretty clear.

There is a defined area for the baserunner, they have to be able to

touch the base, so that defines where they can be when coming into home.

Maybe technically defined, but extremely vague in practice.

Maybe we should just make it always a force out at home?

I think that's a bad idea.

The catcher has a choice to not block the plate now, if there is an extra line for the runner, the catcher still has a choice to bock the plate or not.

If they want less collisions, I don't think they need new rules or lines, they can just choose to enforce the existing ones. If MLB wants to do this just put all teams on notice that as of _____ umpires are going to be very strict on interference on plays at home.

The idea Bill and Brian talked about yesterday, that the catcher can not be run into if he is in fair territory seems like it could simply be enforced as a reasonable interpretation of interference by the runner. But then I think you would also need to call obstruction when the catcher is blocking the plate (by positioning himself in foul territory) before he has the ball.

If there's an extra line for the runner, the catcher not only has a choice about whether or not to block the plate, he has the ability to protect himself from baseunners flying shoulder-first into fair territory to hit them in the face. Or, at least to get an automatic out in that situation.

I agree it might just be a focus on rules is called for, but you may as well give the umpires a visual aid.

jeffyscott wrote:

If they want less collisions, I don't think they need new rules or lines, they can just choose to enforce the existing ones. If MLB wants to do this just put all teams on notice that as of _____ umpires are going to be very strict on interference on plays at home.

Well that is always a problem with MLB rules. Selective enforcement. Just like the rule that states batters muct be in the batter's box. The only time I remember it being enforced is with Brady Clark.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I read a sarcastic comment by Buck Martinez on ESPN, something to the effect of 'maybe we should have two home plates, a white one for the catcher to stand on, and an orange one for the runner to slide into- whoever touches their plate first'. By the way, the article mentioned that Martinez's career was basically ended by Gorman Thomas barreling into him and breaking his ankle.

Frankly, I'm tired of hearing about this, just because Posey and his agent are whining. What's next? Is a guy going to get hit in the face with a fastball and everyone is going to start whining for little league-like facemasks to fit unto the helmets?

On a side topic, I do think batters and pitchers should wear facemasks.
As well as fans sitting in the lowest tier of the seating bowl in every stadium. Outfield walls should also be covered in 2-3 layers of Martha Stewart Collection pillows, the infield dirt should be replaced with shredded memory foam and game balls should now be bubble wrapped wads of cottage cheese.

Enforce the rules as written and catchers as well as runners wont put themselves in these injury situations. The games been played this way for generations and now we want to talk about rule changes? I never understand it.

Geena Davis took a hit at the plate. Can't we? Go Peaches!

If there's an extra line for the runner, the catcher not only has a choice about whether or not to block the plate, he has the ability to protect himself from baseunners flying shoulder-first into fair territory to hit them in the face. Or, at least to get an automatic out in that situation.

Wouldn't that be accomplished by saying if the catcher is in fair territory (not including home plate itself, of course) and the runner runs into him, it is always going to be ruled interference from now on?

Adding a line would be a significant rule change. The runner on his way home would then have to focus on staying between the two lines for the last X feet, rather than just focusing on being able to touch home plate when he gets there.

Verified Member
On a side topic, I do think batters and pitchers should wear facemasks.
As well as fans sitting in the lowest tier of the seating bowl in every stadium. Outfield walls should also be covered in 2-3 layers of Martha Stewart Collection pillows, the infield dirt should be replaced with shredded memory foam and game balls should now be bubble wrapped wads of cottage cheese.

Enforce the rules as written and catchers as well as runners wont put themselves in these injury situations. The games been played this way for generations and now we want to talk about rule changes? I never understand it.

Geena Davis took a hit at the plate. Can't we? Go Peaches!

Humans also crapped outside and drank river water for generations, but nobody clamors for the good ol' days in those regards. I actually agree with you, and think requirements for facemasks are ridiculous, but I just hate the argument "This is the way it's always been done."

Humans also crapped outside and drank river water for generations, but nobody clamors for the good ol' days in those regards. I actually agree with you, and think requirements for facemasks are ridiculous, but I just hate the argument "This is the way it's always been done."
Frankly, the play at the plate is one of the most exiting plays in the game. An overhyped player gets hurt mostly because he doesn't know how to properly block the plate and now we are going to make rule changes- similar to when Brady got hurt in the NFL? I wouldn't call it the 'Posey rule', but I'd call it something similar. May as well just make all plays at the plate force plays... don't forget the black strip that they have in beer league softball, wouldn't want any contact whatsoever.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested to jump over the catcher ala Willie Mayes Hayes....

It seems in most sports, the powers that be seem to be showing feint concern at the very least about serious injuries from hard collisions.

If you can't take the hit, get out of the way. Posey hurt himself by blocking the plate on his knees like that, there need be no rule changes.
He didn't block the plate. Cousins could have very easily slid directly over the plate without touching Posey at all. If you go back and watch the video again you will see Posey is on his knees outside the batters boxes.(pause it at the 12 second mark) Posey looked like he was going to go for a sweep tag. Was the play legal, sure. Was it clean, I guess. There is little doubt in my mind that Posey didn't want to and didn't try to block the plate.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

JohnBriggs12[/b]]You don't see 2nd basemen blocking the base. There's really no need to allow a catcher to impede a runner. With all the emphasis on the long term dangers of concussions, this is one aspect of baseball that should be changed. Just because it's always been that way doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed in light of all the research on head injuries.

I never liked the idea of blocking a plate. Blocking is a football act, not a baseball one. Make the catcher have to catch and put a tag on like an infielder does rather than parking himself in the baseline waiting for a throw and inviting a collision.

Agreed.

In regards to Posey, he wasn't blocking the plate but it was within the rules. If Posey's off his knees he's not hurt, so it's just one of those freak injuries. It shocks me every so often when people are mad that injuries happen in a sport. That said, I don't like allowing collisions at home plate or letting the catcher block the plate. What really is the point of it? Why can't the runner be impeded going to other bases then? It really makes no sense. You have 2 grown men colliding, one running full speed and neither with protection (no I don't consider catchers gear protection in this case). Instead of trying to make over the All-star game perhaps the powers that be can focus on some of these types of rule changes.

On a side note, it should make for an impressive brawl somewhere down the road!

Seriously, this is getting a little out of hand. I always thought that Posey was overhyped, but now I can't stand the guy because he and his 'people' are being such babies about this. Better move him to first base, less chance of an injury there.

Why can't the runner be impeded going to other bases then?

I think they can be, it is not obstruction if the player doing the impeding has the ball or is in position to receive a throw and make a play on the runner.

OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner. If a fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and if the ball is in flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the ball he may be considered "in the act of fielding a ball."

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/rule2.shtml

The difference is the runner is not going to be going full speed standing up into 2nd or 3rd, because he can not over run the base as he can at home plate.

Archived