Brewer Fanatic

sad thing about Reed, Kotsay, Almonte, & Nieves

Crash2303
All of these guys were on our Major League roster to begin the season...the pathetic thing is, is that none of them are or would be starters at AAA. Sad. They're blocked in the OF by Gindl, Katin, Boggs at 1B by Gamel and at C by Kottaras. How is it possible that they can't even crack the starting lineup in the minor leagues but somehow be in the majors?
-frustrated roster bench decisions.

there's no way Kotsay starts over Boggs or Katin at AAA. He's an aged veteran with no incentive for a coach to play him except for production- and he's not going to produce anything near what Boggs & Katin do down there. Gindl will play because he's a young prospect. The only way Kotsay starts at all is if Katin's DHing, but even then- i'd have to believe that he'd be splitting time with Carrol or even Almonte. Furthermore, the only reason Reed is starting at all is because Boggs has been in Milwaukee and Almonte has been injured.

Wins don't matter in AAA. They play who the major league team wants to play. Kotsay played over in Boggs in the majors, so why wouldn't they play him over him in AAA, lol. If the outfield got crowded, guys like Carroll would just be let go, or Gindl could be demoted to AA for playing time. Katin is obviously never going to be anything but a AAAA type player, so playing him doesn't matter. Reed will still play when Boggs is there. Idk why who would play and who wouldn't in AAA means anything anyway. Kotsay is a better player right now that most of the guys in AAA, or he wouldn't be in the MLB anymore. I know he's not as good as Roenicke seems to think he is, but he's fine as a lefty PH and occasional starter off the bench. He fits that role well. Nieves suck and so does Almonte. They have no place on a major league roster. This topic has been addressed in multiple other threads anyway.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

1. Kotsay was never meant to be full-time.

2. Reed and Almonte made the team because of a hot spring.
3. Nieves is RRR's guy. He plays pretty good D and that's all I expect from a backup C. He'll only start once a week or so. But I don't think Rivera's all that bad defensively and he can hit a little. If Rivera is sent out before Nieves I'll be annoyed but not really torn up about it.
4. Young players will always be getting the ABs in the minors because they need the experience, not because they're the better hitters at that point in time.

It's good to have high standards but subs in the NL have put up this line so far in 2011 - .208/.281/.302. So don't expect everyone on the bench to be able to put up a .700 OPS. It's not easy to do with inconsistent ABs.

derflotr wrote:

It's good to have high standards but subs in the NL have put up this line so far in 2011 - .208/.281/.302. So don't expect everyone on the bench to be able to put up a .700 OPS. It's not easy to do with inconsistent ABs.

Nice to know but when making a decision on who should play, I don't care. I want the better player to play. Just because a backup is above league average doesn't mean he is a good choice if there are better choices available.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

This wasn't intended to mean that the 'titled' should or shouldn't be in the majors or why they were selected to be there. it was intended merely as an interesting observation that i don't think they would even start at AAA and yet are in the majors. i don't think most teams can say that about this many position players on their team.

I was, and am still, baffled as to why we let Joe Inglett go.
No you didn't. Melvin did. Not that Inglett is anything special but it would have been nice to have him.

I blame Wang.

No you didn't. Melvin did. Not that Inglett is anything special but it would have been nice to have him.
Inglett's year so far: DFA'd on April 28, outrighted on May 3, contract purchased May 8, outrighted to Triple A May 12. He had a decent 160 plate appearances last year, but on a year-to-year basis he's right around replacement level. If he could play short the Brewers probably would have given him another look, but he's limited defensively and doesn't have a ton of pop with the bat.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Inglett's year so far: DFA'd on April 28, outrighted on May 3, contract purchased May 8, outrighted to Triple A May 12. He had a decent 160 plate appearances last year, but on a year-to-year basis he's right around replacement level. If he could play short the Brewers probably would have given him another look, but he's limited defensively and doesn't have a ton of pop with the bat.
He is CC but more than little younger without the SS ability. Considering how often CC actually plays SS I am not sure that it really matters.

I blame Wang.

Archived