Brewer Fanatic

Morgan activated; Rivera sent down, off 40-man; Boggs accepts Nashville assignment

Raw Biz

If they are planning on palying Counsell more they might want insurance in case of injury since they have no depth. Wouldn't be surprised to see him DFA'd in time for a DH. My god I don't want to see Kotsay DH.
That has to be Gamel, right?

Stevo]

endaround wrote:

If they are planning on palying Counsell more they might want insurance in case of injury since they have no depth. Wouldn't be surprised to see him DFA'd in time for a DH. My god I don't want to see Kotsay DH.
That has to be Gamel, right?
I'd take Katin if the pitching matches dictate it

Why, why, why? Nieves is useless. What do they see in him that Rivera can't provide? He's even got the "veteran presence." Heck, he was a Yankee, so we can even say he "knows how to win."

I'd bet that you could randomly pick five players from AAA and they would be able to outhit our bench. Other than Gomez/Morgan, they'd probably be able to outfield them too.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Why, why, why? Nieves is useless. What do they see in him that Rivera can't provide? He's even got the "veteran presence." Heck, he was a Yankee, so we can even say he "knows how to win."

I'd bet that you could randomly pick five players from AAA and they would be able to outhit our bench. Other than Gomez/Morgan, they'd probably be able to outfield them too.

I don't disagree. Not exactly setting the bar high.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Looking at it from a different view, the fact that both guys were not picked up by other teams I think shows their value in the eyes of others.

I'm not sure if all the other MLB teams are not as smart as bf.net (I kid, I kid).

I do understand the frustration. It is a long season though. I personally would prefer Boggs in AAA now to hopefully get some regular playing time. I am happy we still have him.

As far as Nieves vs. Rivera, that is puzzling.

I do like the fact that we can get worked up about this as fans (and it is part of being a fan no doubt). I just am happy we don't have to worry about things like a #2 SP or something like that. I think we'll eventually get the bench figured out. I think the next few weeks are critical to figure out how our team is going to look (i.e. injuries, more sample sizes, etc). I do really hope we add some power to the bench. That has to be a must at some point in the season...at least I hope.

Very few teams will pick position players off the wire unless there is a clear upgrade or a need. The point isn't that Boggs and Rivera are really good, they are just better than those currently on the Brewers.

The sad thing is that Erick Almonte still appears to be ahead of Boggs on the depth chart. Boggs has started two of four games so far, meanwhile Almonte is rehabbing... aka heading back to the majors. What Melvin sees, I just don't. There's no comparison between the two imo, Almonte does nothing for a big-league club. I've always felt Melvin did a solid job identifying the right bats to assemble, but this season has me scratching my head so much it's getting raw.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Great win for the Brewers last night, but it's frustrating to see the 2 pinch hitters called upon are Craig Counsell and Josh Wilson. While Counsell, as a lefty and walk-draw-er has some value on offense, both are presumably on the roster for their defense.

Wilson's role should NOT (edit) be as a PH, yet that is the only way he's been used so far. It's difficult to have confidence in Roenicke when he makes these kinds of decisions.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I can't believe we still have Kotsay on the roster. 100+ ABs already. Good grief. It would be one thing if he were a slick fielding infielder, but he's a bad outfielder with no power and a weak average. The only thing he can do is draw some walks. Not a bad skill, but when it's the only thing you can do, that sucks.

Looking at Fangraphs, out of 111 outfielders with 100+ plate appearances, he's ranked 104. Five out of the last six years he's had a negative WAR. Yet RR keeps trotting him out there. I'm not saying Boggs is going to be anything special, but at least he doesn't have a proven track record of being really bad.

Someone said it right - with Nieves, Kotsay, Counsell, Wilson - we have an absolutely terrible bench. Only the plushman saves us.

The sad thing is that Erick Almonte still appears to be ahead of Boggs on the depth chart. Boggs has started two of four games so far, meanwhile Almonte is rehabbing... aka heading back to the majors. What Melvin sees, I just don't. There's no comparison between the two imo, Almonte does nothing for a big-league club. I've always felt Melvin did a solid job identifying the right bats to assemble, but this season has me scratching my head so much it's getting raw.

Almonte has to show he's healthy to be DFA'd.

I'm not sure why that would be surprising. If another team wanted Boggs, they would have claimed him. The Brewers have already shown he is going to be the first one called up, so I doubt there is a better position to be in right now.
i still remain convinced that the brewers brass told boggs that they'd like to treat him like a player they can option back and forth. boggs has to feel good knowing that there are currently two spots open on the 40-man roster, and he has to feel even better now that jeremy reed is out of the organization. that leaves him and brett carroll as the likely candidates to have their contracts purchased if an outfielder goes down . . . and boggs would seem to have the edge over carroll.

finally, boggs knows that the brewers have two centerfielders that are aggressive (although gomez is only aggressive on the defensive side). with aggressive plays come the risk of injuries.

of course, boggs would prefer being on the 40-man roster and being on the 25-man roster . . . but this is the best position he can be in with this organization.

Archived