Brewer Fanatic

Your 2011 Dominican Summer League Brewers -- Latest: New (different) facility

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The DSL Brewers are set to begin their season on Saturday 5/28, and will promptly take Sunday off (Sundays off in this league).

Like last year, the Brewers will be in a four-team division. Here was last year's final standings:

DSL Santo Domingo North
Club W L PCT GB *ELIM # Home Away L 10 Streak
# DSL Mariners 43 28 .606 - - 23-13 20-15 7-3 L1
DSL Cardinals 39 32 .549 4.0 E 24-11 15-21 5-5 L2
DSL Athletics 32 39 .451 11.0 E 17-19 15-20 6-4 W2
DSL Brewers 28 43 .394 15.0 E 17-18 11-25 3-7 W1

Thankfully, for variety in 2011, there are a few games (not many, but a few) sprinkled in against Red Sox, Rays, Dodgers, and Indians squads.

The current MiLB.com DSL Brewer roster page likely does not reflect the Opening Day roster, and we probably won't see this roster page updated until after the first game.

We expect that several players listed will be in Arizona preparing for the start of the Maryvale season (please, OF Ruben Sanchez), and that several (perhaps even many) new players will be listed.

We'll incorporate each box score into the daily Link Reports, while of course placing way too much emphasis on what we decipher http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Just wanted to toss out the heads up...

LONG LIVE PRINCE PEREZ! Figured Hernandez is the King so Osmel will be a suitable Prince.

Jose Garcia. Hitaniel Arias, Rolando Pascual, all were in the states for ST and Pascual now with BC. So those guys will not be back. I agree with Mass, Sanchez earned a promotion, hope Brewers agreed as well

Looking at the roster and who I think made it to the states I could see the roster looking like this: This is based off thinking Sanchez and Pullo were promoted and Garcia and Arias stayed in the States after ST.

1B Julio Sotelo (20 yrs, catcher but with no other 1B on roster he was the best hitting back-up catcher last season so slide him over)

2B Yorki Hernandez (gets on base a ton with .380 OBP while only hitting .207-impressive for DSL player. Needs to start hitting though)

SS Andres Martinez (A fav of mine and is improving but 70k to 217 PA is to many, hit .245 so needs to cut down ks and hit more)

3B Jorge De La Cruz (another 2nd yr 18 yr old. Didn't get time until Cequea got in trouble. .250/.443/.761 in 61 PA only 1 XBH)

C Carlos Pena (Exciting catcher, 18 & 2nd season, .236/.346/.710

LF Elvis Rubio (Big signing with some big pop, projects as a MLB 3-5 hitter Brewers have said)

CF Raul Mondesi Jr. (Played well for 17 yr old, not his father yet but should continue to grow in year 2, played all 3 spots last season)

RF Jose Pena (Can't wait to see how much he can grow this year. 33bb's a great sign showed decent pop for 17 yr old

DH Joan Abreu 20 yrs, did okay off bench last season, nothing to special can play 2B &3B)

Bench

SS Raphachel Colatosti will turn 18, Have yet to find anything on him.

SS Alejandro Mendoza 19 yrs, played okay in his back up role to Martinez.

C Natanael Mejia will turn 19 yrs have yet to find much on him.

C Deivi Mejia 21 yrs ( barriered, hardly played last season.)

OF Dionis Hinojosa (really barried last year, only 16 PA and is 20 yrs old)

C Jhonathon Diaz 18 yrs played last season, low PA's and did not hit well. hope he improves

Batting Order

Y. Hernandez

A. Martinez

R. Mondesi Jr.

J. Pena

E. Rubio

C. Pena

J. De La Cruz

J. Sotelo

J. Arbeu

Pitching Overview: Asuming Manny Ruiz and Rolando Pascual were moved up

1) Osmel Perez

2) Jeffrey Saba

3) Eliezer Montano

4) Eduard Reyes

5) Pedro Peguero

LR Marcos Padilla

MR Javier Belen

MR Joel Dicent

MR Juan Fransico

Loogy Juan Santiago

SU Elvis Mora

CP Carlos Sosa

Well was off with the roster but many key players were left out in the first game:

1B H. Arias

LF J. Garcia

OF Ronny Puello

CF Ruben Sanchez

SS Andres Martinez

All these guys have been their top players for past two season (Sanchez just last year) so I wonder if that confirms that all them have been promoted to Arizona.

Also I hope Elvis Rubio is not injuried, Brewers spent $95,000 on him (considered a "bargain" price" and is suppose to be quit the prospect. A lot like J. Pena with I guess maybe more pop in bat.

Thanks, Geezy. Your summary is very helpful. Reading the first DSL box was like trying to make sense out of a Sri Lanka vs. Pakistan Cricket scoresheet. I lacked context and you gave me a few people to cheer for.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Two new DSL RHP's --

Gian Rizzo, 6'1", 160 -- 17 years old, now the 5th youngest player in the system

Angel Ventura, 6'2", 185 -- 18 years old, 11th youngest in the system

We'll be seeing other pro debuts in the coming days, RHP's Milton Gomez, Yheris Mateo among them.

• 2 weeks later...

Actual DSL news! I'm so excited.

Adam McCalvy/MLB.com

MILWAUKEE -- The First-Year Player Draft is in the books, but Brewers amateur scouting director Bruce Seid won't get much of a break. He's set to travel later this month to the Dominican Republic to check on the progress at the team's facility there and to scout players ahead of the July 2 international signing date.

The Brewers reestablished an academy in the Dominican two years ago, and their summer league team is off to a terrific start: 9-1 after their doubleheader sweep of the A's on Thursday.

"We've been working hard down there to enhance our Dominican program," Seid said. "I think you'll see some of that talent develop into the [stateside Minor League] system, which we need."

Players of note at the facility include outfielder Raul Mondesi Jr., the 18-year-old son of the former Major Leaguer who has impressed Brewers officials so far with improved plate discipline. Shortstop Orlando Arcia, just 16, is off to a blistering start, hitting .313 with three home runs and 12 RBIs in his first nine games.

Seid added another name to the watch list.

"We have an outfielder named Ruben Ozuna that you definitely need to keep an eye on. Definitely," Seid said. "A center fielder, a 19-year-old kid that I think is going to be coming over here [to the U.S.] to play on one of our short season teams. That's a guy that will be very interesting."

Rookie-level Helena begins play June 20. Arizona starts on June 21.

Ozuna was hitting .333 through his first eight games with a home run and five RBIs. His name used to be Ruben Sanchez, but paperwork associated with Major League Baseball's standard age investigation revealed his last name was actually Ozuna. The player's age was accurate, Seid said.

"We have an outfielder named Ruben Ozuna that you definitely need to keep an eye on. Definitely," Seid said. "A center fielder, a 19-year-old kid that I think is going to be coming over here [to the U.S.] to play on one of our short season teams. That's a guy that will be very interesting."

Oooh! Tidbit!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff
I know scouting reports are hard to come by from the DSL. He's I think 18, plays SS, and has an OPS of .935 so far in 56 ABs. Does anyone know anything more about this kid?

Not especially, no. But the fact the Brewers inserted him into a starting slot right away, and that he's pretty much hit in the 3-spot all season, bodes well. Kind of like sending 17-year-old Alcides Escobar to start at Helena. He's listed at 6'0", 165, so even projecting out, he should be able to stick at SS. He's only 3-for-6 thus far on the basepaths, but at least he's trying there. Not a single negative split to be found among all the small sample numbers listed in your link.

How likely would it be to bring Arcia up to rookie ball next year as a 17 year old?
I think it's a certainty he's in R ball next season.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• 2 weeks later...
A trio of promising 17-year-old RHPs are MIA lately. Osmel Perez, darling of the 2010 season, didn't pitch between 6/10 and 6/29 and hasn't appeared since then. MH noted with mild alarm when Milton Gomez was pulled after one inning on 6/24, and indeed Gomez hasn't pitched since. Finally, Pedro Peguero made just four short appearances, the last being on 6/17.

• 2 weeks later...

The DSL AL All-Stars beat their NL brethren 5-3 tonight in el Juego de las Estrellas. Orlando Arcia started the game at shortstop for the NL and went 0-1 and scored a run. Gian Rizzo tossed a perfect 4th inning with a strikeout.

Courtesy Rizzo's Facebook, here's a picture of las dos Estrellas (Rizzo on your left, Arcia on your right):

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/216906_2313311276644_1365273185_2725808_6971392_n.jpg

EDIT: It just dawned on me that both Arcia and Rizzo are Venezuelan, as is Osmel Perez, and of course Alcides Escobar. Venezuela has been disproportionately good to the Brewers.

Archived