Brewer Fanatic

2011-05-25 Nationals (Marquis) at Brewers (Greinke) - [Brewers win, 6-4]

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wait, they did the music and timer? I couldn't tell they did on the radio call. That's awesome.
Last night I noticed on the concourse TV that Todd was warming up and I wondered, "if they use him will he sprint out and be timed?"

So it's cool that they did. Classy, in fact. Take note, STL.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I'm starting to wonder if Brewer fans have too crazy an expectation for Greinke. He had a preseason ZiPS projection of 3.23. He just gave up 3 runs in 7 innings (3.86 ERA). 1o strikes and 1 walk. That is a solid outing.

I agree, I think people are/were expecting a Sabathia type performance out of him, which isn't realistic. I think he's been fun to watch for the most part so far.

Wait, they did the music and timer? I couldn't tell they did on the radio call. That's awesome.
Last night I noticed on the concourse TV that Todd was warming up and I wondered, "if they use him will he sprint out and be timed?"

So it's cool that they did. Classy, in fact. Take note, STL.

The Cardinals players, coaches, executives, and fans probably think the sprint and the timer mean that Coffey and the team are making a mockery of the game.

Roenicke must really hate Boggs if he didn't let him pinch hit for Greinke when he knew he wasn't going to pitch the 8th anyway.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

why would Grienke bat for himself just to get taken out of the game? Especially when they scored a run that inning.
Probably because the inning took so long, and he was sitting forever. Didn't wanna throw him back out there with 100 pitches already. Original plan was probably to put him back in. Hawkins wasn't warming right away.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

If anyone is curious about how a starting pitcher generally tires the more times he goes through the lineup, check this out:

http://www.baseball-refer...=p&year=2010&lg=NL#times

I always find it interesting that the 100+ pitch count numbers are the best. The book also tries to address why the trend is reversed but there is no solid explanation. I always thought that the only time guys pitch that deep into games is when they have their best stuff

why would Grienke bat for himself just to get taken out of the game? Especially when they scored a run that inning.

Maybe RR forgot or something? I look forward the CRA-ZAY explanation he gives in the post game interview. Probably something like this:

"Well, in a close game, you really gatta have your ace out there. But when Prince pushed the lead to 2, we thought Hawkins gave us the best chance to win."

Verified Member
I'm starting to wonder if Brewer fans have too crazy an expectation for Greinke. He had a preseason ZiPS projection of 3.23. He just gave up 3 runs in 7 innings (3.86 ERA). 1o strikes and 1 walk. That is a solid outing.

I agree, I think people are/were expecting a Sabathia type performance out of him, which isn't realistic. I think he's been fun to watch for the most part so far.

I think fans were expecting better than a 6 ERA from the guy who won the AL Cy Young two years ago. Once he gets back to a respectable ERA I think people will appreciate him.

If anyone is curious about how a starting pitcher generally tires the more times he goes through the lineup, check this out:

http://www.baseball-refer...=p&year=2010&lg=NL#times

I always find it interesting that the 100+ pitch count numbers are the best. The book also tries to address why the trend is reversed but there is no solid explanation. I always thought that the only time guys pitch that deep into games is when they have their best stuff

It's been awhile since I have read that chapter. I do recall that they could find no evidence that early domination or struggles changed the performance expectation going forward. Of course, lack of evidence does not prove the negative, so I guess it is an open question. Did they look at the KINDS of pitchers that are allowed to go 100 pitches more often?

I look forward the CRA-ZAY explanation he gives in the post game interview.
If I can make a linguistic aside, I love that pronunciation of "crazy" depicted by Russ above. It reminds me of the lone episode of "City Confidential" we've ever watched, because its subject was a 1985 murder in Darlington, Wisconsin (current home of my brother's family and also fellow poster bensheeps). The narrator said CRA-ZAY every time he described the murder suspect (a judge who was found guilty and ended up killing himself in prison).

CRA-ZAY! OK, I'm done. Carry on, posters / hang on, Brewers.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Come on Hawkins. Limit it to 1 run.

I think fans were expecting better than a 6 ERA from the guy who won the AL Cy Young two years ago. Once he gets back to a respectable ERA I think people will appreciate him.
Well of course. I was just referring to today's start and really anytime he starts. He's going to have his share of games where he gives up 3 or more runs. In the long run, that should be offset by some dominating starts as well.

Archived