Brewer Fanatic

Let's give our catcher some love!

RobDeer 45
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's definitely "Luke." I'm kinda with RR on him hitting 8th. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... and it definitely ain't broke.

Well Ryan Braun would also be raking from the 8 spot, just less RBI and runs scored

It's definitely "Luke." I'm kinda with RR on him hitting 8th. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... and it definitely ain't broke.

Well Ryan Braun would also be raking from the 8 spot, just less RBI and runs scored

Perhaps. Perhaps not. Twice now, Braun and Fielder have been switched in the lineup and both times, they both fell off dramatically.

Johnny Estrada hit eleven home runs once.

And your point is?

Lucroy once hit 20 HR in a single MiLB season, considering he played a bit more than half the season and hit half his HRs in the FSL, that's darn impressive. Just because he didn't show much power last year, doesn't mean he's a slap hitting Kendell.

Personally I always thought he'd be a .750-.800 OPS guy. In other words an average to above average league wide hitter at C, which is extremely valuable. He has almost as many extra base hits already this season (31 games) as he had in his 75 games last season. I don't believe his rookie stats represented his true talent level, nor does the .900 OPS he's carrying now, but easily a better hitter than the 8th spot in the lineup.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Thank you TLB. At least someone got it... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Oh boy, that's pretty shameful on my part. To be honest, my first thoughts were Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre.

http://www.ricspics.net/hold/Hockeypics/images/grandpierre.jpg

Perhaps. Perhaps not. Twice now, Braun and Fielder have been switched in the lineup and both times, they both fell off dramatically.
There's just is no good reason to assume causation. With what you are suggesting, Braun is in big trouble next year. There have been a number of studies that looked at production as a function of BOP. If there is a effect, they couldn't find it (beyond IBB, which isn't necessarily a bad thing). When Prince leaves, I will expect Braun's IBB to go up but will not expect any other change in production.

That said, I have to see a lot more of Lucroy before I'll be screaming to move him into the 2 or 5 spot. With either Gomez or Bentancourt in the lineup, he shouldn't be batting 8, IMO.

There's just is no good reason to assume causation. With what you are suggesting, Braun is in big trouble next year. There have been a number of studies that looked at production as a function of BOP.

The problem of course is that it doesn't matter what studies show... if the player believes he won't be successful batting in a certain spot in the order, he won't be, it's a self fulfilling prophecy. Like Hardy with the 8 hole...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

There's just is no good reason to assume causation. With what you are suggesting, Braun is in big trouble next year. There have been a number of studies that looked at production as a function of BOP.

The problem of course is that it doesn't matter what studies show... if the player believes he won't be successful batting in a certain spot in the order, he won't be, it's a self fulfilling prophecy. Like Hardy with the 8 hole...

I agree, if the player wills himself to not play well in certain circumstances, he... won't play well. Of course, we'll never know who they are. Your claim about Hardy is 100% speculation.

i would think there'd be a huge difference batting 2nd and 8th (i hope i'm not getting too far off topic). at the #2, i'd figure you'd see a ton of fastballs and the pitcher being a lot more direct with the hitter so as not to walk you with two monsters in Braun and Fielder coming up. but at 8, seeing a lot more breaking stuff with the usually-automatic pitcher's spot coming up next (Greinke and his 1HR/16AB being the exception, of course). seems to me that you'd want to move Hart and Lucroy around in the batting order is if one of the two isn't hitting very well for a while (which obviously isn't happening right now). moving them now seems knee-jerk.

My claim? Since when did I ever care where JJ batted in the line-up? He's the one who cared...

- Plato

- Plato

My claim? Since when did I ever care where JJ batted in the line-up? He's the one who cared...
What I'm saying is it's speculation whether batting #8 actually hurt Hardy's production is speculation, whether he attributed it to it or not. I'm sure you will disagree and that so we'll have to agree to disagree.

With what you are suggesting, Braun is in big trouble next year.

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm saying that moving a player in the order may affect his performance, and provided the quickest, easiest example of such that came to mind. It was just a bonus that it involved the very player that Topper suggests would still rake if moved to 8th.

And before you cite "small sample," how many games worth of diminished production would you be willing to live with? Were you okay with the Braun/Fielder switch because it was a "small sample" (twice)? If memory serves, pretty much this entire board was in a tizzy over the Braun/Fielder switch, and the general outcry was "switch them back!"

Johnny Estrada hit eleven home runs once.

And your point is?

Somebody asked who the last Brewer catcher was to hit 10+. That's it. For the record, I liked Johnny Estrada, but I like Jonathan Lucroy a whole lot better. He's not allergic to walks.

Cool Hand Luc?

I approve.

"He's a natural born world-shaker."

Great, now every time I see Wolf shake him off I'll think... "What we have here, is a failure to communicate."

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I've personally begun referring to JonLuc as the anti-black-hole. When we get those days of a black hole at the bottom of the lineup, he tends to save them batting 8th. He's off to a great start, hopefully he can keep it up.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

During Jonathan's 8th inning at-bat on Friday night, the crowd responded with some "Luuuuuuuuuuuuuc" chants between pitches. So 'Luc' it is. Good to know our discussion is having an impact. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I'm surprised Estrada fell off the face of the earth. I liked him better than Kendall, and Jason looks like he'll have many more years in him than Estrada did.

Difference is Estrada kept getting hurt and Kendall stayed healthy but just stunk. Kendall was also scrappy and Estrada didn't look like he really wanted to play half the time.

Archived