Brewer Fanatic

Let's give our catcher some love!

RobDeer 45
Community Moderator

Wow, Lucroy is playing so well right now! It's great getting this type of offense from our catcher. I just wanted to give him a little love for playing at this high level right now. Coming back after missing most of the spring and stepping up right away.

Started talking about this more in the IGT yesterday but where would you like to see him in the lineup? I almost would like him 2 and Hart 5......but I hate to mess with Hart right now.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd leave things as is. I worry a little about his acumen behind the dish (mostly throwing, but blocking pitches as well), but he's hitting the heck out of the ball which makes up for it. Great chance he's the first Brewer catcher with more than 10 dingers since... any guesses?

I'd leave things as is. I worry a little about his acumen behind the dish (mostly throwing, but blocking pitches as well), but he's hitting the heck out of the ball which makes up for it. Great chance he's the first Brewer catcher with more than 10 dingers since... any guesses?

Dave Nilsson?

Wow, Lucroy is playing so well right now! It's great getting this type of offense from our catcher. I just wanted to give him a little love for playing at this high level right now. Coming back after missing most of the spring and stepping up right away.

Started talking about this more in the IGT yesterday but where would you like to see him in the lineup? I almost would like him 2 and Hart 5......but I hate to mess with Hart right now.

RR has stated as recently as a day or two ago that he thinks Lucroy is good at 8. But said if Gomez is playing that he would be 8. They should have him at 6. Who cares if there is a black hole 7-9. Get Lucroy up to cash in any runners from the meat of the order.

JonLuc has been one of my fan-crushes since his debut, so I'm more than happy to give him some fan love. In fact, since leaving the park last night I've been trying to figure out how to wear my Lucroy shirt (made last June at the custom counter because the Brewers inexplicably made no navy Lucroy shirts to buy off the rack in 2010) to work today without looking too unprofessional.

He's been talking to Cory in many a post-game show lately, which I've enjoyed. Last night he mentioned that given his recent baserunning gaffes, no way was he going to move past first on his 2 RBI hit. That made me smile. I'm just happy when he's in the lineup, and am not going to fuss over his spot in the order as long as he's in it.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

He's definitely been the story of the year offensively. It's a stretch to think he'll end the year with an OPS over .900. But if he can stay above .775, that puts him in the upper echelon of catchers to be sure. The ball is jumping off his bat. I think most would have been happy with him hitting .265-.270 with 10-12 HR. He's making a case to be an All Star right now.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I've been pimping Lucroy for the #2 hole for a while now. Given his MiLB history, I was sure last year was due to a premature call-up and that his bat would pickup this year.

Having said that, I don't want to mess with Hart right now. But having him hit 8th is pretty close to a cardinal sin (not being classy that is). At minimum, he should be #6, behind McGehee.

As far as defensively, I thought he improved greatly on the blocking balls issue. In fact, it seems that our pitchers don't have any concerns over spiking a curve or a low slider to get someone to chase.

...I've been trying to figure out how to wear my Lucroy shirt to work today without looking too unprofessional.

In the state of Wisconsin, Packer, Brewer, Badger and even Bucks attire is always appropriate work attire. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I think Lucroy needs a cool nickname. I think I'll start calling him JonLuc from now on...
That makes me think "Jean-Luc", which is too French for a guy as awesome as Lucroy.

It's the power he's showing that's impressed me the most. I don't expect him to continue homering at this rate, but he's certainly showing us the power he showed us in 2008. I think the guy's at least a league average hitter and a decent defensive catcher as well. Oh, and he'll be a Brewer until 2016. That's like six years of no Jason Kendall, Chad Moeller, Johnny Estrada, etc.

In order to not have to hear Estrada's name again, I'll change the question: Who was the last Brewers catcher to hit 10+ HR's and post a .300+ OBP? Eddie Perez, who hit 11 with a .304 OBP in 2003. The last Brewers catcher to OPS .750+ was Dave Nilsson in 1999.

Dave Nilsson?

Good guess. Just checked, and Nilly was the last to hit 20 (and technically only as far as I know of- Simba hit 19 as a catcher and 4 as a DH in '82). In his last season in the bigs, he had a heck of a season. I've always wondered if he regretted walking away from the game for the Olympics- or if he intended the Olympic hiatus to be permanent, for that matter. He easily left eight figures on the table.

Verified Member
I think Lucroy needs a cool nickname. I think I'll start calling him JonLuc from now on...

I prefer JonnyLuc as it is less French-sounding (as Funketown pointed out above).

His teammates call him "Lou"

That makes me think "Jean-Luc", which is too French for a guy as awesome as Lucroy.

http://blog.enterpriseitplanet.com/green/blog/blogpost_img/picard_facepalm.jpg

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Last night he mentioned that given his recent baserunning gaffes, no way was he going to move past first on his 2 RBI hit. That made me smile.
I thought that was funny too, he's obviously embarrased over some the decisions he's made on the basepaths. I appreciate that he's trying to learn from his mistakes and be a little more conservative/smart on the bases, but not advancing to 2nd on that play at the plate was actually just another baserunning "gaffe"!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
His teammates call him "Lou"

http://blog.enterpriseitplanet.com/green/blog/blogpost_img/picard_facepalm.jpg

Thank you TLB. At least someone got it... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived