Brewer Fanatic

2011-05-24 Nationals (Hernandez) at Brewers (Narveson) - [Brewers win, 7-6]

May 24 - 7:10 P.M.

http://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/logos/nationals.jpghttp://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/logos/brewers.jpg

21-26

25-23

Pitching Matchup

http://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/pitchers/nationals/hernandez-02.jpghttp://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/pitchers/brewers/narveson-10.jpg

Livan Hernandez

3-6 | 3.64

Hernandez has dropped four straight starts, though he's allowed just two runs over his last pair of outings. The Nationals have been shut out in each of his last three starts.

Brewers vs. Hernandez
Hernandez Game Log

Chris Narveson

2-3 | 3.44

Narveson pitched 7 1/3 scoreless innings in San Diego on Thursday, and has surrendered three or fewer earned runs in seven of his nine starts -- including each of his last three.

Nationals vs. Narveson
Narveson Game Log

Starting Lineups

1. R Bernadina CF
  2. I Desmond SS
  3. J Werth RF
  4. W Ramos C
  5. M Morse 1B
  6. D Espinosa 2B
  7. J Hairston Jr.
  8. B Bixler LF
  9. L Hernandez P

1. R Weeks 2B
  2. C Hart RF
  3. R Braun LF
  4. P Fielder
  5. C McGehee
  6. M Kotsay CF
  7. Y Betancourt SS
  8. J Lucroy C
  9. C Narveson P

Media Coverage

http://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/media/media-fsn.jpg

Brewerfan Game Chat

MLB GameDay 2010 | ESPN GameCast | 620 WTMJ Affiliates

Fan Sites

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one of those games where the pitching matchup looks a little daunting on paper (especially to those of us who sat through Livan's shutout of the Brewers in Washington in April 2010), but I try to approach with an open mind anyway.

Corey: Remember the way you gripped the bat Monday night? Keep doing that.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

It seems that every time we face Hernandez, we'll hit about 10 balls on the screws, and have 8 of them get caught. He throws lots of hittable pitches usually, just a matter of finding some holes. Hopefully Hart has woke up, makes our offense very difficult to handle...now just get McGehee to realize he was good the last two years and revert back to that form and we'll be set.

I have a good feeling though, something seems to have changed with this team (maybe just being at home) but they suddenly seem to think that they're going to go out and win every game. Not hope to win or wait for something bad to happen.

Please find new pic for Narvy, looks like he's going to pull about 17 muscles in various body parts, including his face. That's just not good kharma.

I thought at first he was trying out for shotput.

What don't any of the media who meet with Roenicke everyday ask him why Lucroy isn't batting further up in the order? I mean...the guy does hit for the best average on the team. What do the media ask everyday? i don't ever see any of the questions we all ask on this board answered...probably because no hard questions are ever asked of RR.

They ask RR the dumbest questions in the post game. Last night it was. What did Corey do differently with his approach? Did the day off yesterday help Corey? What did you think of Yovani tonight?

Ask some real question Milwaukee media members. I wish we had some NYC media members asking the questions some times.

Seems like tonight would've been a good opportunity to park Betancourt on the bench, Counsell has some pretty good career stats vs Hernandez.

Well RRR has shown that his policy is that gritty veteran types like Counsell and Kotsay shouldn't be playing more than once a week.

Oh wait...

RRR has made some goofy remarks about batting Lucroy eighth lets him get the offense going or something. Hopefully the Brewers can keep this stretch going. Hernandez is not a very good pitcher, and I'd like to see him get knocked around tonight.

What don't any of the media who meet with Roenicke everyday ask him why Lucroy isn't batting further up in the order? I mean...the guy does hit for the best average on the team. What do the media ask everyday? i don't ever see any of the questions we all ask on this board answered...probably because no hard questions are ever asked of RR.

Or you just assume that Roenicke will make all of his decisions based on what the fans and media want.

Haudricourt on Twitter a couple of weeks ago;

We ask Roenicke about Lucroy all the time and he talks about the importance of the No. 8 hole. Doesn't want to move him.

Link

If I recall, the media asked about Gomez batting second repeatedly as well. And Lucroy has been moving up to 6. I think it's just fairly obvious that Roenicke views Kotsay with more value than anyone not married or related to Kotsay. I think most of us agree what the lineup should be, but complaining everyday, or expecting the media to complain everyday, doesn't necessarily mean it's going to change, or that he's not asked about it or any of the other things everyone complains about everyday.

Well, starting Kotsay and batting him 6th at least can be defended somewhat logically. (Not that I agree with it, but at least there's the lefty vs righty argument.) But Yuni 7th and Lucroy 8th? That can't be defended.

Look, we don't know what's going on in the clubhouse, input RR is getting from Sveum, etc. So he may hvae a very good reason to sit Gomez and start Kotsay. I don't have a problem with that. But I would go Lucroy, Kotsay, Yuni. And I wouldn't have to think very hard.

Oh, by the way, for those of you who enjoyed my Hart prediction last night, here's an earlier prediction that should come in handy tonight. From the "Non Vent" thread a couple weeks ago:

This team is about to go on a 12-3 tear, and that will be fun to watch.

Well, a win tonight will make it official. Before you call your bookie, you should know I made this prediction before I knew RR would be going all Yost on the lineup tonight.

True, I don't understand why Lucroy is in the 8 slot, but I really think we're making too big a deal putting Kotsay in CF. This is only the second time, and likely the last with Plush on the comeback. RR doesn't want to move Hart out of the spot he plays every day, which I can understand, and he wants to sit Gomez' bat. Yeah, Kotsay is pretty poor out there, but I'm not in love with Boggs, and Kotsay pretty much won the game for us with his bat last time he started there. Ideal? No. Lunacy? Not really.

True, I don't understand why Lucroy is in the 8 slot, but I really think we're making too big a deal putting Kotsay in CF. This is only the second time, and likely the last with Plush on the comeback. RR doesn't want to move Hart out of the spot he plays every day, which I can understand, and he wants to sit Gomez' bat. Yeah, Kotsay is pretty poor out there, but I'm not in love with Boggs, and Kotsay pretty much won the game for us with his bat last time he started there. Ideal? No. Lunacy? Not really.

Actually, I'm pretty sure this is the 4th start in CF, 2 of which were at Petco (one of the most spacious ballparks out there). And Gomez has actually been a lot better at home (small sample but still) than on the road. And I still don't get why Lucroy is 8th.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Archived